Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Feb 14, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #437 of 8,051
  Looking to replace the M560 stock cables because it doesn't fit through my phone case. Any recommendation? 

How hard would it be to mod the phone case? Is this something a drill can tackle easily? or a Dremel?

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #438 of 8,051

Looking to replace the M560 stock cables because it doesn't fit through my phone case. Any recommendation? 

How hard would it be to mod the phone case? Is this something a drill can tackle easily? or a Dremel?

That's crazy talk... if the boot doesn't fit, you gotta lop off a few toes.

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #441 of 8,051
Well phone cases are usually dirt cheap, and easily replaceable if you screw up. I'm pretty handy and the phone case would take about 15 minutes with a drill and sandpaper (a Dremel as well). I also have both ready to go, so no extra cost involved.

Feb 20, 2017 at 7:13 AM Post #442 of 8,051
Heads up, looks like someone got their hands on the m1060!

TLDR "sound somewhere between LCD3 and HE-1000. Not quite as natural as he-1000 but not quite as sweet/warm as LCD3.. Overall similar to LCD-2, at 1/3rd the cost and much better build"
I was able to use these for a week and I have to say, they are very very good. To me, they sound somewhere between LCD3 and HE-1000. Not quite as natural as he-1000 but not quite as sweet/warm as LCD3. They just sound very good. I was listening to Roger Water's and that guitar hits very crisp, total pleasure. I won't go into the minor details of sound signatures, mostly because I will sound clueless, but it's also because everyone has their own likes and dislikes.

Now, let's discuss build a bit: The most intriguing is the connection. This headphone uses mmcx connection, which is what is used by shure/westone and other earphone makers. When I initially got the cans, I was thinking... why? but then I realized that I already have few silver cables, including trrs balanced, so I plugged it into my balanced DAP and heaven occurred. Obviously, i can do the same with any other connection, but then, i'd have to make / but the cable and that takes time - this was instant gratification.

Otherwise, the headphone it build nicely. Metal where possible and soft leather like material for cups and band. Would I have liked lamb leather for cups or some exotic wood for veneer? yes? would I have liked to pay $599 for that, NO. 

One other thing these headphones have: the cups rotate, so they can lay flat if you need to store them in a smaller case that it comes with. 

I also had a chance to listen to its smaller brother and while that one improved after a week, this one didnt seem to need a burnin. 

Overall, I would say this is similar to LCD-2, at 1/3rd the cost and much better build.*Monoprice invites the most trusted reviewers to post opinions about new and pre-release items to help their fellow customers make informed purchase decisions.

Source : https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16050

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:53 PM Post #445 of 8,051
I swear I search google, head-fi, and everywhere else I can find about once a week to see if anyone has been able to review a pair of these yet - so far that one review on monoprice is the only thing Ive seen pop-up. Im sooo excited that these could be like an LCD2 at a far lower price - and look to be a decent bit more comfortable as well. It appears they use a suspension system very similar to Hifiman which I love on my HE-400s. I guess well all continue to wait patiently! I did see a Q&A response on the monoprice page as well indicating theyd be up for sale by the end of the month for sure :D (Page itself shows ETA of 2/24) If theyre really in stock at the end of the week when I get paid it sounds like I might need to take a gamble!

Feb 20, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #446 of 8,051
I swear I search google, head-fi, and everywhere else I can find about once a week to see if anyone has been able to review a pair of these yet - so far that one review on monoprice is the only thing Ive seen pop-up. Im sooo excited that these could be like an LCD2 at a far lower price - and look to be a decent bit more comfortable as well. It appears they use a suspension system very similar to Hifiman which I love on my HE-400s. I guess well all continue to wait patiently! I did see a Q&A response on the monoprice page as well indicating theyd be up for sale by the end of the month for sure :D (Page itself shows ETA of 2/24) If theyre really in stock at the end of the week when I get paid it sounds like I might need to take a gamble!

It's comforting to see I'm not alone. Sounds like your anticipation has been going on a little longer than mine. Looks like we won't have to wait too much longer to roll the dice tho! I hope stock isn't limited

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:00 PM Post #447 of 8,051

Hey, is the HiFiMan that you own the HE-400S or the HE-400. Not sure since you used a lowercase 's' when referring to it.

If it's the HE-400S, I'm very interested in a comparison between the Monolith 1060. 

Thx

:wink:

Feb 21, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #448 of 8,051
Hey, is the HiFiMan that you own the HE-400S or the HE-400. Not sure since you used a lowercase 's' when referring to it.

If it's the HE-400S, I'm very interested in a comparison between the Monolith 1060. 

Thx

:wink:

Yup it's the HE-400S sorry for the confusion. I'm currently using the focus A pads with them and am honestly pretty satisfied with how they sound but of course still looking to upgrade lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back