Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 26, 2017 at 10:32 PM Post #2,356 of 8,051
  I would be careful as the head could potentially affect the diaphragm.  If you were to try that use a heat gun like they use for craft projects since it has a more directed stream and is more controllable.  

And honestly, it wasn't a problem for me, just peeled them off and threw the Audeze pads on.  

Yup ... the stock came off easy. It was taking off the Vegans to return the 1060's to MP. Not all the microfibre wanted to come off with the pad. 

Mar 26, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #2,358 of 8,051
Has anyone tried adding LCD-2 waveguides to the M1060 yet?

https://sketchfab.com/models/2ad2680119914de69ab8fb7dfeaedd28

I'm curious to see how they'd sound, so I may print some out in the next few days, but I don't have any measurement gear to test with.

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #2,359 of 8,051
  "Oh, gotcha.  You used the adhesive ring provided with the Audeze pads?  You should press it against a cotton shirt about 5 times or so or it will adhere a little too well."

Now he tells me  ... :wink: 

Sorry, I've taken them on and off multiple headphones dozens of times trying different mods so they barely hold on anymore.  I forgot how damn strong the adhesive ring is.  

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:18 AM Post #2,360 of 8,051

I'm curious to see how they'd sound, so I may print some out in the next few days, but I don't have any measurement gear to test with.

I wouldn't bother.  The consensus is that pre-fazor models actually sounded better and the measurements on that Head-Fi post support this.  

Mar 27, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #2,361 of 8,051

I found it impossible to get the Vegans off the 1060's without leaving a lot of them on the tape. Not a major problem, but ... 

same here, but I found that it evens out the sticky-ness of the glue making it easier to swap the pads.
After trying the vegan on and off, I ended up keeping them on. now any additional fine-tuning is done with Equalizer APO.

Mar 27, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #2,362 of 8,051

The openings in the drivers dont match up with the M1060 driver so you would have to modify it yourself to make it work with this driver.

Mar 27, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #2,364 of 8,051
man this crack think is just insane, just repalce the wook with a metal and forget about the wood that is my solemn advise to monoprice

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #2,365 of 8,051

Won't fit was designed for the lcd2 driver, would need to redo the model for 8 magnet bars per side.

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #2,366 of 8,051
  I wouldn't bother.  The consensus is that pre-fazor models actually sounded better and the measurements on that Head-Fi post support this.  

I'm not entirely sure if this is the fault of fazor or the driver change that accompanied the fazor. The lcd2 measurements with that 3d printed unit are pretty interesting looking. If I get a 3d printer later this year I'll see about working on that model to fit the lcd3/M1060 just for fun.

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #2,368 of 8,051
I am a new poster and I did not have the same luck with a return.  I ordered my 1060's the day they became available.  After reading this forum I was really excited to receive the new headphones.  After about a week they showed up.  The right side was dead not even a crackle.  I tried the tweezer trick as mentioned here with no results.  I got out my meter and ohm'd out the cable, that was fine.   I took off the back of the driver and checked that and it was open.  The left side measured around 44 ohms.  So back in the box they went and I then started the RMA process.  What a disaster.  First off being a glutton I asked for a replacement pair.  Monoprice responded by saying they were out of stock and had no idea when they would be back in stock so they were going to issue me refund instead (only for the cost of the headphones).  At this time they sent me a shipping label and said they would send a UPS pick up label, which never came.  I sent two emails asking for the label and also if I would be refunded the shipping cost as well.  I also mentioned all the quality issues people on this forum were having.  Mine also had cracked wood right out of the box.  I still have not received a response from my emails.  I finally bit the bullet and called only ten minutes on hold, not too bad.  They apologized for not sending the UPS call tag.  When I mentioned the shipping cost being refunded she said she would put a note in my account "it shouldn't be a problem".  A few days later I did get my refund with shipping but the whole experience was very disappointing.  I also mentioned in my email about the 4/17 ETA for the new batch but again no reply...  I really expected more from Monoprice they have been good up till this point.  You would think I'd learn a lesson but I'm still on the fence when the new ones come out.

Mar 28, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #2,369 of 8,051
It seems like they did what they could given the circumstances.  This product had way more demand than they anticipated.  Plus, variances in climate/humidity affecting the wood differently then where it was assembled.  I think they will get it right, it was just a couple problems that hurt the headphones reputation a little.  

However, going by mine, you would think they hit it out of the park.  Zero issues.  Pad change and paper towel mod and I'm rocking a killer headphone for CHEAP.  

I hope the next iteration either uses a better wood or switches to some form of metal.  Connectors shouldn't be that hard to do either.  2.5 TRS should work with minor modification which would be added when they switched materials anyways.  

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #2,370 of 8,051
It seems like they did what they could given the circumstances.  This product had way more demand than they anticipated.  Plus, variances in climate/humidity affecting the wood differently then where it was assembled.  I think they will get it right, it was just a couple problems that hurt the headphones reputation a little.  

However, going by mine, you would think they hit it out of the park.  Zero issues.  Pad change and paper towel mod and I'm rocking a killer headphone for CHEAP.  

I hope the next iteration either uses a better wood or switches to some form of metal.  Connectors shouldn't be that hard to do either.  2.5 TRS should work with minor modification which would be added when they switched materials anyways.  

Mines being modded right now for 2.5trs connector. Will report back once it's all said and done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back