Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 25, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #2,326 of 8,051
  is there a comparison between hifiman 400i with the m1060

can anyone shed some light on differneces in bass, mids, highs and sound stage

Both are great headphones for different reasons and each is an excellent value. HFM HE-560 is a step above both.

See this thread page #110 post #1636.

Also this thread page #113 post #1695.

Seventeen (17) different genres of music types were used in the testing to cover just about all common styles of music.

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #2,327 of 8,051
I own both and find them to have similar sound signatures. However, the M1060's sound stage is a bit larger in width. Bass is a little cleaner and less muddy. Mid's are about the same maybe a little more forward. High's are more detailed with a little more sparkle.
Comfort for me goes to the Monolith's even though they weigh more. The earpads are more comfortable and they have less clamping force.

Mar 25, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #2,328 of 8,051
I own both and find them to have similar sound signatures. However, the M1060's sound stage is a bit larger in width. Bass is a little cleaner and less muddy. Mid's are about the same maybe a little more forward. High's are more detailed with a little more sparkle.
Comfort for me goes to the Monolith's even though they weigh more. The earpads are more comfortable and they have less clamping force.

I disagree with so much of this...please see my impressions aforementioned, page #110 post #1636.

I do own and REALLY like both headphones, they are both great; both good values also.

Sound signatures are much different. M1060 is between an Audeze and HiFiMan house sound.

These are fine points. M1060 bass is no way cleaner & less muddy; and 400 "i" is actually layered better & is less artificial. Amp/source choice may be the problem for Tech Junkie for many of his points. I am using hi-end gear.

Mids are absolutely much more forward (to a good attribute) on M1060 - see my review.

Without any doubt, highs are are far more detailed with more brilliance & sparkle in 400"i". They are more natural and less artificial than M1060. On certain performances, highs on stock M1060 are weird & imprecise, noted by many others here.Measurements by others support the listening experience.  HiFiMan highs were clearly superior in listening.

400"i" handle very fast, complex passages better, without congestion evident in M1060. M1060 is not the most refined performer.

As far as muddiness, 400 "i" is clearer overall and less compressed also, a very important point, being livlier, more exciting & less subdued. Many may call the M1060 laid back. M1060 has many great attributes I detailed in aforementioned review post, especially noting the exceptional character of mids which is so important and better than the 400"i". So much of the music spectrum exists in the midrange frequencies, and this is essential to a balanced presentation and exquisite listening experience - to which the M1060 excel at finely in balance outperforming the 400 "i" in this attribute.

These 2 headphones are both great and excel in different areas, thus they have differing characteristics, some of which appeal to a set of folks, or the other headphone appeals to other folks.

Please read my full impressions post #1636 for finer intracacies.

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #2,330 of 8,051
Thanks for your imput on the 400i and M1060 luvmusik. I am going to go back and take another listen with different amps and sources. I currently own a JDS O2,LD MK II and a lyr 2 amp. I am going to upgrade in the near future what do you use that matches up with the Monolith's. I have a pair of Audeze LCD 2's arriving on Tuesday thoughts on amps?
I currently listen to mostly flac files through a Fiio X5 gen 2,Yamaha cd player and vinyl with an Onkyo tx-sr807 receiver.
I also love both the 400i's and the M1060's. Interesting that we have different impressions on the cans. I wonder if Monoprice is having QC problems on more than just build? Seems unlikely.
I am going to have to spend some serious analytical time with more sources,genres of music and amps to see if I change my initial impression.
Hey I agree all headphones have strengths and weaknesses. That is why we keep buying more headphones. The impossible search for nirvana.
Also why some people love Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser's,Grado's, Audeze,etc.while others hate them. Others like me love them all for their variety of sound,major problem for the wallet. Wife doesn't get it just shakes her head but accepts my illness.

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #2,332 of 8,051
Thanks for your imput on the 400i and M1060 luvmusik. I am going to go back and take another listen with different amps and sources. I currently own a JDS O2,LD MK II and a lyr 2 amp. I am going to upgrade in the near future what do you use that matches up with the Monolith's. I have a pair of Audeze LCD 2's arriving on Tuesday thoughts on amps?
I currently listen to mostly flac files through a Fiio X5 gen 2,Yamaha cd player and vinyl with an Onkyo tx-sr807 receiver.
I also love both the 400i's and the M1060's. Interesting that we have different impressions on the cans. I wonder if Monoprice is having QC problems on more than just build? Seems unlikely.
I am going to have to spend some serious analytical time with more sources,genres of music and amps to see if I change my initial impression.
Hey I agree all headphones have strengths and weaknesses. That is why we keep buying more headphones. The impossible search for nirvana.
Also why some people love Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser's,Grado's, Audeze,etc.while others hate them. Others like me love them all for their variety of sound,major problem for the wallet. Wife doesn't get it just shakes her head but accepts my illness.

Welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet :)

That love for all headphones seems very familiar (as does the reaction from wife), just take a look my profile and you'll know what the future holds for you :wink:

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #2,333 of 8,051
@Tech Junkie

Thanks for your writing. To reply -

There may be other diaphragm tensioning QC/QA problems with M1060. One fellow on redditt bought 2 brand new units & posted they sounded totally different - 1 sounded as mids were sucked out, yet other was perfect - speaks to QA/QC  & mfr'ing process. So, that possibly implies tensioning issues.

My dynamic/planar hp amps - Violectic HPA-V100 and Lake People G109A (very similar amps, both used in testing back & forth for conformity test of hp's). Use hi-end digital sources (SACD, Blu-Ray, CD - Oppo, Adcom, Sony, Marantz, LH-Geek Out for files, more) and very hi-end analog sources of many fine TT's - Linn Sondek, Project, Fons, Thorens, AR, Micro-Seiki, Luxman, more (massive TT collection of many here only exceeded by hp collection) plus reel to reel machines here (Otari, Sony, Teac, Pioneer, 8 in all).

When testing like this, I also bypass the 2 hp amps and play direct thru 6 different systems to verify conformity. -

1.) Son Of Ampzilla/Thaedra, 2.) Adcom GFA-555II/GFP555-II, 3.) Sony TA-N77ES/TA-E1000ESD, 4.) Epicure M1/M4, 5.) Sony TA-3200F/TA2000F and a 6.) Marantz 2285B.

Like yourself, also have Onkyo (receiver) & Yamaha (TT & 2 pr NS1000) here - really nice brands. Am primarily a speaker guy actually, deep into that for many decades.

So, when posting detailed impressions, I do a full comprehensive testing on many systems for uniformity. Wish I could do full-blown reviews, but don't have the time.

Yes, so many hp's have different signatures & reason to own more than one (and embarassing amount  of hp's for many of us). But, it's what makes this hobby enjoyable. Also enjoy, like yourself, how many hp's present differently, and there really isn't one that gets it all correct; reason to enjoy different sound signatures.

As far as amps for LCD - so many possibilities, I do not own a set of 2's, but heard them a couple years ago, so best to go on that dedicated thread to find many suggestions. I like Violectric/Lake People SS for my Dynamics & Planars and have not found any hp's that do not play well or not match them -  an exquisite & vastly underplayed feature of Vio/LP SS/tube amps which many overlook - they match anything you throw at them, very well respected throughout Europe for both home & studio use.
beerchug.gif

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #2,334 of 8,051
Thanks so much for your input. I did go back and take another listen. I find that the good old upright acoustic bass as the best test for bass. So I listened to some music with acoustic bass you were spot on. I have to agree with your overall view now as well. Much to my chagrin I think I was coloring my view in hopes of the Monolith's being "the" giant killers.I know it was a couple of years ago that I passed the Philips golden ears test but I didn't think my ears could have deterioted that much in that short of time. I will have to be careful and not to do responses on first impressions rather wait until after doing many hours of back and forth. I appreciate your honest response. I am sure we will have different impressions of different cans in the future I have to say your insight on the 400i's vs the M1060'sound was spot on.
However, I will defend my statement on sound signature. I was stating that they share the planar sound as opposed to dynamic drivers not that they sound the same. I should have expressed myself better.

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #2,335 of 8,051
@Tech Junkie

It's all good. No worries. We all do hear slightly differently but I believe not completely differently - just nuances & subliminal effects in reality. The ear apparatus is physiologically varied among us all - so many variations, and that makes things interesting ! Respect your thoughts, and in the future we may hear some things very similarly or slightly differently, it's all part of music. InnerFidelity just did a project using a bunch of well-trained people in the music industry & their impressions of some great headphones. Interesting in how some of the results differed among the folks, and they all have a great ear.

The M1060 are really great headphones & a great value - all these hp's just have different aspects. I like my set a lot & so far no QC issues, but prepared if encountered too. For the price they really do encroach on the big boys & when Mono addresses a revised version 0.1-2 to improve connectors, wood cup cracking & standardized diaphram tension, it may be in their best interest to sell tons more.
beerchug.gif

Mar 25, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #2,336 of 8,051
That cable color is disgusting, though. Any way of getting one from them in a different color?

Yes, just send Lee a message and tell him everything you hate about it, the more colorful language you use the better! Of course you might get banned for life, but then you might get exactly what you want!

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #2,337 of 8,051
Finally swapped to the Vegan pads and put a 3" paper napkin. Comfort has increased for me dramatically. I hate leather pads and this really helped comfort. So far I like how they sound with the mod. Haven't done extensive listening yet, but these are already one of my favorite cans. Hope to have more impressions very soon on sound. I have to get a review done for Burson op amps in my creative X7 this week. Lots of listening coming!

Mar 25, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #2,339 of 8,051
Luvmusik you are on point on physical hearing differences and individual sound preferences. I too read that InnerFidelity article and the general preferences were about the same but there were some quite different impressions on how they viewed the sound.
So far I have avoided the QC problems after 2 plus weeks of pretty regular use. I watched the Z reviews video of repairing the headband if mine fails I am prepared. Hopefully if I do have issues they will stand behind their warranty.
For the price they are a fun listen.

Mar 25, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #2,340 of 8,051
Just got a 2nd set of the 1060's after the first ones were built upside down (ordered brand new from Beach Camera before they rose the price).

Anyone have recommendations for a better MMCX cable? I know there have been a few posts about this before. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back