Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 22, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #2,297 of 8,051
Just a reminder: @Mishal and everybody else who's rather new to EQing - use an analysis panel to reflect the actual changes via EQ to confirm/estimate what's happening (available on Equalizer APO), always use a (negative) pre-amp option to avoid clipping if you're boosting something; or alternatively cut everything besides the part(s) you want to actually boost.

Mar 22, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #2,298 of 8,051
  Just a reminder: @Mishal and everybody else who's rather new to EQing - use an analysis panel to reflect the actual changes via EQ to confirm/estimate what's happening (available on Equalizer APO), always use a (negative) pre-amp option to avoid clipping if you're boosting something; or alternatively cut everything besides the part(s) you want to actually boost.

Thanks for the tip.
I would also add that Peace (free GUI for Eq APO) offers a more intuitive way to interface with the program with the option of using hotkeys to switch between profiles in addition to graphical filters. you can use the option "prevent clipping" to ensure that your settings are within the safe region.
It is always recommended to minimize adjustments since large changes will impact sound quality. In my case, a very minor adjustment around +3 dB was enough based on A/B songs with female vocals. M1060 driver's excellent resolution was responding to the minor changes nicely which helps in fine-tuning.
Peace download site;
https://sourceforge.net/projects/peace-equalizer-apo-extension/
Tutorials by the creator of Peace, Peter Verbeek;
https://www.youtube.com/user/PeterVerbeek66

Mar 22, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #2,299 of 8,051
  I wanted to share this because I think that Equalizer APO is a must for anyone running windows and would want to get the most out of his audio gear. You can also check this youtube of how to use it with Room EQ to calibrate/EQ a headphone, very informative and I am thinking of trying it to generate different profiles and calibrations for my headphones for different needs (movies, gaming, music). enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmHAqh_HYT0

EQ APO is great. But doesn't it work only with the Primary Sound Driver? No WASAPI or ASIO support...

If using Foobar, another option is EasyQ (http://www.rs-met.com/freebies.html) and the Foobar VST 2.4 adapter (https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,84947.0.html)

Mar 22, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #2,300 of 8,051
I think you can also use it as a plugin in players like Foobar and Jriver, although I'm not 100% sure on that.  

I use JRiver as it has a windows driver that allows you to use ASIO or WASAPI for all sounds, music or otherwise.  A great deal for $50.  Plus you can use all of it's DSP functions such as room corection, EQ, and crossovers for all of your audio.  

Mar 22, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #2,301 of 8,051
  I think you can also use it as a plugin in players like Foobar and Jriver, although I'm not 100% sure on that.  

I use JRiver as it has a windows driver that allows you to use ASIO or WASAPI for all sounds, music or otherwise.  A great deal for $50.  Plus you can use all of it's DSP functions such as room corection, EQ, and crossovers for all of your audio.  

EQ APO definitely doesn't work as a Foobar plugin. As far I understand it, it works by applying EQ at the level of Windows sound drivers, so anything that bypasses windows drivers (e.g., WASAPI) bypasses EQ APO.

JRiver is interesting... Does it have native parametric EQ? 

Mar 22, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #2,302 of 8,051
Gotcha.  Yes, JRiver has two separate parametric EQs.  You can use any type of filter that you want even for individual channels.  It's quite comprehensive.  

Mar 22, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #2,303 of 8,051

I kicked my M1060 up a significant notch by putting a circle of Creatology felt behind the rear grills (which helped line up the midrange with the bass and treble) and substituting the stock cable with the Moon Audio Silver Dragon that I got for my Shure 1840. It now sounds wonderfully open, smooth and organic.

Mar 22, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #2,304 of 8,051
I compared the M560 with sony xbr 500 earpads side by side with M1060 stock, and I prefer the M560, but only with the giant 3" thick earpads on them (and open mode only no wood closing), has more of a sound stage and fun sound signature than the m1060 does, M1060 has better imaging, but it just sounded a touch to boring to me.

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #2,305 of 8,051

EQ APO is great. But doesn't it work only with the Primary Sound Driver? No WASAPI or ASIO support...

If using Foobar, another option is EasyQ (http://www.rs-met.com/freebies.html) and the Foobar VST 2.4 adapter (https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,84947.0.html)

It works with any sound that does not bypass Windows "system effect infrastructure" so WASAPI and ASIO, in exclusive mode, bypasses  EQ APO.
I have it setup on all my input/output devices (DAC/AMP, AV receiver, soundcard, Microphone etc). So music player, Youtube, games and video player are all handled by  EQ APO.

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:28 AM Post #2,306 of 8,051

I did not know that Jriver is that versatile. I will probably give it a try.
I am wondering if it is possible reproduce the sound signature of a DAC/AMP/Headphone pairing by accurately measuring its FR and using parametric EQ to match it (similar to the youtube I shared earlier). Would this provide an alternative for reproducing the warm sound of a tube amp for example or the FR of a different headphone (as long as the headphone driver has the dynamic range to do this). There are SQ features that can not be reproduced like bass/treble extensions and the visceral impact for a large MP drivers but I would imagine that the M1060 driver would be able to emulate different sound signatures since it is pretty much covering the whole FR range.

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #2,307 of 8,051
I've done that using REQ Wizard and my measurement rig.  I would measure the headphones, create a target curve, and have REQ Wizard match the response to the curve.  I would then apply the same EQ settings into JRiver and have my EQed headphone work with any sound I listened to.  It's pretty neat.  As far as emulating different amps or DACs that's beyond me as I've never seen any of my DACs or amps make measurable changes, although they all sound different.  So there is more at work than simply frequency response.  

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #2,308 of 8,051
  I've done that using REQ Wizard and my measurement rig.  I would measure the headphones, create a target curve, and have REQ Wizard match the response to the curve.  I would then apply the same EQ settings into JRiver and have my EQed headphone work with any sound I listened to.  It's pretty neat.  As far as emulating different amps or DACs that's beyond me as I've never seen any of my DACs or amps make measurable changes, although they all sound different.  So there is more at work than simply frequency response.  

Interesting. I am wondering what's more to sound signature beyond the FR ?

Mar 23, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #2,309 of 8,051
I know 2nd order distortion is considered pleasing, and tube amps have varying degrees of it, sometimes up to 2% at full output, which is a lot.  3rd order distortion is generally considered harsh, nasty, and grating.  There is also phase, power reserves, instantaneous response, etc.  Just look at all of the different types of DACs and amps available.  They all try to do the same thing and yet there are a ton of different approaches taken by the designers who are trying to make the best amp/DAC possible for the price.  

Mar 23, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #2,310 of 8,051
  I know 2nd order distortion is considered pleasing, and tube amps have varying degrees of it, sometimes up to 2% at full output, which is a lot.  3rd order distortion is generally considered harsh, nasty, and grating.  There is also phase, power reserves, instantaneous response, etc.  Just look at all of the different types of DACs and amps available.  They all try to do the same thing and yet there are a ton of different approaches taken by the designers who are trying to make the best amp/DAC possible for the price.  

Probably all of this can be handled in the realm of DSP with some latency to handle time dependent features like instantaneous response. I would not be surprised if someone smart would figure out how to implement this to replace physical hardware (New breed of DAC/DSP/AMP combos :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back