Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 25, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #2,341 of 8,051
Monoprice received my broken wood M1060's yesterday and they shipped out a new replacement pair yesterday. I wasn't expecting a replacement until sometime in April due to the ETA on the M1060 product page. I hope the replacement won't split like the first pair.

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #2,342 of 8,051
Speaking to QC, I think we are going to see some significant variance in sound from unit to unit. For better or worse these drivers are Chinese clones of the lcd3 50ohm pre-fazor unit which had absolutely massive unit variance due to diaphragm tension.

as to versus the 400i.

Stock I would take the 400i any day of the week over my unit.

Modded, I'm selling my he-500s, so take it as you will. There is greatness possible in this driver, I just don't think monoprice designed a properly damped or well built can around it.

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #2,343 of 8,051
Also if you think I'm splitting hairs on how much variance, please consult Tyll's data from that time. I would very much like to measure another pair on my set up to compare as measurements across different couplers and mics will differ.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/LCD3measurements.pdf

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:49 PM Post #2,344 of 8,051
  Also if you think I'm splitting hairs on how much variance, please consult Tyll's data from that time. I would very much like to measure another pair on my set up to compare as measurements across different couplers and mics will differ.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/LCD3measurements.pdf

I experimented with measurements today using REW and two microphones (Onkyo reciever calibration mic and Yeti USB) I got some results but I would imagine that I need a more controlled environment for this. I was able to pick up how the FR changes due to EQ which is neat to confirm the EQ impact and play around with Equalizer APO.
Is there some reference on how to put together a good rig for measurement ? The nice shape of the Onkyo mic allows placement of the headphone cup flat on top of it which is handy.
https://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-Microphone-Originally-Shipped-TX-NR535/dp/B01DSKROJS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1490474911&sr=8-1&keywords=onkyo+microphone

Mar 25, 2017 at 4:52 PM Post #2,345 of 8,051
  So from what I have gathered the M1060's have a series of build quality issues, any words from the company on whether they will be addressed in the batch scheduled for the 17th of April?

This is what I rec'd from Monoprice a couple of days ago. I asked them the same question ...

Dear Ebay Customer,

Yes, we have addressed the issues being mentioned with the product management team. You may hold onto the headphones until we receive further inventory is received.

Mar 25, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #2,346 of 8,051
I'm glad i didn't end up buying the M1060 an went for the 400i's, i was very hyped by the 1060's as everyone else, but the moment i heard about QC issues i abandoned the ship, now it seems the sound signature of the 1060's is darker or warmer that the one of the 400i's which brighter and more of my taste.

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:22 PM Post #2,347 of 8,051
I'm glad i didn't end up buying the M1060 an went for the 400i's, i was very hyped by the 1060's as everyone else, but the moment i heard about QC issues i abandoned the ship, now it seems the sound signature of the 1060's is darker or warmer that the one of the 400i's which brighter and more of my taste.

I prefer the M1060 over the 400i, my friend owns a 400i and side by side my 1060 comes across as having more sparkle than my friends 400i.

Mar 25, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #2,348 of 8,051
I havent seen anyone post photos of the Audeze Leather-Free "Vegan" pads on the M1060s yet, so here goes. I got the brown ones from Adorama for $65. I'm not sure why but they came in just a plastic bag with no adhesive ring. I went out and got some double-sided tape but I ended up actually not needing to use them. I peeled off the original pad, which is held by double-sided adhesive and just used the existing tape on there. The Vegan pad is slightly larger in diameter, so I played a few times to center it evenly. It'll extend a small amount over the wood cups. 

Very quick first impressions: the pads are extremely comfortable. The headphones feel lighter and much easier to wear. I also think I enjoy the sound more on these. The treble and mids are cleaner.  Bass still extends well and sounds less muddy to me. Soundstage is probably about the same, if not a small amount wider. Tested listening to Explosions in the Sky's The Earth is not a Cold Dead Place record, Tracy Chapman's Fast Car, Bob Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone, Linkin Park's Frgt/10 and London Grammar's Hey Now

Thanks @cskippy for this suggestion. I am so far really impressed with the improvements in sound and comfort.

Also: ordered Day 1, live in Seattle, still no wood cracks. Do have intermittent left connector issues using non-stock cable.

I also 3d printed the LCD-2 ring adapter. They sort-of fit the M1060. They would fit in the top grill cutout and would have to be partially forced to align on the bottom tab. I didnt use them to use the Vegans, because it felt like it was more work than necessary.

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:03 PM Post #2,349 of 8,051
Make sure you at least try the 3 inch paper towel under the outer grill.  I find myself reaching for them quite often, kind of a bassy reference sound.  They're very competent headphones as well!

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #2,350 of 8,051
  I havent seen anyone post photos of the Audeze Leather-Free "Vegan" pads on the M1060s yet, so here goes. I got the brown ones from Adorama for $65. I'm not sure why but they came in just a plastic bag with no adhesive ring. I went out and got some double-sided tape but I ended up actually not needing to use them. I peeled off the original pad, which is held by double-sided adhesive and just used the existing tape on there. The Vegan pad is slightly larger in diameter, so I played a few times to center it evenly. It'll extend a small amount over the wood cups. 

Very quick first impressions: the pads are extremely comfortable. The headphones feel lighter and much easier to wear. I also think I enjoy the sound more on these. The treble and mids are cleaner.  Bass still extends well and sounds less muddy to me. Soundstage is probably about the same, if not a small amount wider. Tested listening to Explosions in the Sky's The Earth is not a Cold Dead Place record, Tracy Chapman's Fast Car, Bob Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone, Linkin Park's Frgt/10 and London Grammar's Hey Now

Thanks @cskippy for this suggestion. I am so far really impressed with the improvements in sound and comfort.

Also: ordered Day 1, live in Seattle, still no wood cracks. Do have intermittent left connector issues using non-stock cable.

I also 3d printed the LCD-2 ring adapter. They sort-of fit the M1060. They would fit in the top grill cutout and would have to be partially forced to align on the bottom tab. I didnt use them to use the Vegans, because it felt like it was more work than necessary.

I found it impossible to get the Vegans off the 1060's without leaving a lot of them on the tape. Not a major problem, but ... 

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #2,352 of 8,051
I would be careful as the head could potentially affect the diaphragm.  If you were to try that use a heat gun like they use for craft projects since it has a more directed stream and is more controllable.  

And honestly, it wasn't a problem for me, just peeled them off and threw the Audeze pads on.  

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:27 PM Post #2,353 of 8,051
  I would be careful as the head could potentially affect the diaphragm.  If you were to try that use a heat gun like they use for craft projects since it has a more directed stream and is more controllable.  

And honestly, it wasn't a problem for me, just peeled them off and threw the Audeze pads on.  

I think the issue is if you wanted to peel the audeze pads off. I tried to peel it up to adjust it slightly because I was a little OCD on placement but I gave up because I saw some of the outer ring of pad stick to the adhesive and peel from the pad itself. I noticed that it was starting to peel off the first time I adjusted immediately after placement, but now that the adhesive has set, it looks like it'll be a struggle to take it off without completely damaging that outer pad ring - similar to what is in this youtube video https://youtu.be/9LkaQsxcNSM?t=1m37s 

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #2,354 of 8,051
Oh, gotcha.  You used the adhesive ring provided with the Audeze pads?  You should press it against a cotton shirt about 5 times or so or it will adhere a little too well.  

Mar 26, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #2,355 of 8,051
  Oh, gotcha.  You used the adhesive ring provided with the Audeze pads?  You should press it against a cotton shirt about 5 times or so or it will adhere a little too well.  

Mine did not come with a ring. I used the existing adhesive on the M1060 actually thinking it wouldn't have as much tack, so I could try it out.  (i'm an adhesives/bonding engineer, go figure) Oh well, I really dig it and very happy with the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back