Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 8, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #1,772 of 8,051
Just received mine yesterday and listened to them for a solid couple of hours. They are the real deal and Monoprice has arrived as a legitimate headphone company. I think they have more detail and better bass than the HD650's, are a clear step above the X2's in every category except soundstage, and might even be a little better overall than my current favorite sub $500 cans, the Fostex TH-X00, besides bass impact. I will have to do a side by side to see which I prefer.

No quality issues, the only annoying thing so far is the short cable and the loose feeling mmcx connectors, although there was no cutting out at all. I was expecting them to be a little more comfortable though, I have a big head and they are set to one notch below max size, the headband material feels cheap and puts a little pressure on the top of my head.

Mar 8, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #1,773 of 8,051

Shipped to the UK. Ordered on Feb 24th, arrived on March 3rd, exactly one week later

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #1,774 of 8,051
Second day, no QC issues. Knock on headphone wood.

The stock cable won't ever be taken out of the package. I find the protective case to be comically large, but I'm glad they included one.

The subbass and bass levels in general are really surprising to me. I'm used to the Hifiman sound with much less impact and extension. I never did get a chance to hear the LCD2, HE560, 1000, LCD3, etc so I have limited experience with planars, but I'm really liking these already.

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #1,775 of 8,051
Agreed with you on bass! Really surprised me too. I really like the bass response on them, it's very fun.

Agree these are very enjoyable and well worth the price. I am very happy for Monoprice, and truly appreciate a

company that is trying to bring great value to the high end headphone market. HD6xx is a great deal, however, you must

remember it is an old design. These are brand new headphones with massive drivers released at a fantastic price.

They are also really nice looking headphones IMO. Consider me a fan!

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #1,776 of 8,051
  Anyone yet had a chance to compare the M1060's to the PM-3? Since they're in a similar price bracket and both claimed to be bargains at the price I'd figure that'd warrant a comparison, even with the difference in backing and size.

If not I can compare my set against a PM-3 sometime Thursday or Friday when I get my 1060's back from review loan. I'm worried the crack will affect the sound of the 1060's enough to skew the comparison though... Do we have measurements of pre vs post crack yet?

I wanted to chime in as the PM-3 comparison is exactly what I was looking at and in the end the 1060's went back. The 1060's and the PM-3s sound very similar when doing A/B over several days. I wasn't impressed the the soundstage on the 1060 from the moment I put it on and it only slightly improved over the PM-3 depending on recording and amp. The biggest difference in sound was lower mid, to upper base that was just missing on the 1060's. The highs were better on the 1060 as the PM-3 sounds like the highs are rolled off. 
    My first comments on the PM-3 was that the bass was lacking and I say that about the 1060's but over burn in the bass came in much better on both and in the end the extension and feel on both were very similar, a planar bass.
    I was also comparing with the Sennheiser HD700 that I was hoping the 1060 would replace. That also showed me that Sennheiser has got the whole "Sound stage" thing down. It's Large, accurate though somewhat 2 dimensional but better than 1060. Funny enough both have high peaks in similar spots though the 1060's are a little more sparkly. And the HD700s have a dip in the upper mids, to lower highs, hence why I was looking to replace.
    But I think it was the build quality that did it. I tend to keep my stuff in good shape over long periods of time and I don't feel like the 1060 will hold up over time. In ten years I felt like the 1060's would have shaken apart. Picking up an putting on the HD700s or PM-3s was a much more satisfying experience with a better overall fit. The 1060's are massive and a little unwieldy but once on they did seem to disappear. 
    And getting these LZ A4s in the mail from Massdrop made it all good. They sound fantastic. And also have mmcx connectors that I'm not even going to compare to the 1060s.

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #1,778 of 8,051
Well it seems monoprice threw these out there without great study of them, maybe to get feedback and improve I hope. My take is that they are on to something very very good here. If they look into better structure meaning either better wood or maybe different structure and better connectors they are almost there. It would be nice if they listened to the mods and came out with a set already using vegan or vegan styled pads and changed the foam in the back to have the tuning right out of the box.For my fart another 100 dollars wouldn't have killed me if these issues were fixed. I think at 400 and no issues they would be difficult to keep in stock but wouldn't want to go over 300 as the qc is right now.

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #1,780 of 8,051
Nope. The rep on the phone made it seem it could be a month before they "create" the terms of the warranty. Hopefully he over estimated. What would piss me off is if they wait for most 30 day return policies to expire, then reveal a horrible coverage. Even worse... if they say it will not cover wood cracking due to natural causes such as environment changes (humidity).

We better bug them to give the warranty specifications before the return policy is up.

I am located in Utah, but I will be bringing these with me to California tomorrow for a few days. We will see if that has any effect.

P.S. I got mine last Wednesday (1 week) and mine have not cracked. I had cable issues, and I had the whole headband falling out of the left side (picture on previous post).But I put the headband back in without any issues so far, and they have sent me a new cable. (I bought a different cable and it solved the issue).

I returned my M1060 when I discovered it didn't have a warranty. I need to keep this short because I was accused of "whining" and "writing long winded emails."
 Does anybody have the M560 and did it come with a written warranty? It would seem they had plenty of time to state the terms unless they needed to see what issues arose with the M1060 and how to lessen their culpability. I've never heard of a company that creates a warranty after the product is sold!
 My return was booked on Monday the 6th. It was in perfect shape if someone wants snag it. It was only returned due to lack of warranty.

Mar 8, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #1,782 of 8,051
   I returned my M1060 when I discovered it didn't have a warranty. I need to keep this short because I was accused of "whining" and "writing long winded emails."
 Does anybody have the M560 and did it come with a written warranty? It would seem they had plenty of time to state the terms unless they needed to see what issues arose with the M1060 and how to lessen their culpability. I've never heard of a company that creates a warranty after the product is sold!
 My return was booked on Monday the 6th. It was in perfect shape if someone wants snag it. It was only returned due to lack of warranty.

They all have a 5 year warranty. Not sure how you got a pair that didn't.

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #1,783 of 8,051
I've been playing around with the M1060 for the past 2 days. Stock I do not like them very much, very in your face upper midrange, uneven tonal balance, vox on men sound congested, blots out treble detail/air.

I tried my vegans on them, an improvement, tones down the upper midrange spike some, increases treble detail, lifts soundstaging from three blob to slightly off face(which IMHO is about the best one can hope for in any planar I've heard).

Removed the ear side stock driver covers, very very thick felt, makes the can with vegans darker. Time to play with the rear damping.

Ran them grilless with no damping foam, bass is stronger, highs are too much, needs some degree of damping on the outer driver side.

Knowing what we know about the physical design of the driver, I looked to the damping scheme in early LCD3s, namely fleece block+felt circle.

Now we are getting somewhere, very very strong bass but the highs are attenuated down too much, loosing air/treble detail again, and getting some bass tubbiness/bleed into the mids.

Looking at an old LCD3 thread fine some convincing measurement that 2 ply toilet paper can both step down the bass a touch and raise the high end, at least on a real pre-fazor LCD3 driver.

Bingo! This is now the most tonally balanced I've heard these cans sound, very very similar to a LCD2.2 with a little bit more lit up upper midrange.

Still overall a dark can, darker than I generally prefer, but this is now at a place that I think it should have been stock. Who ever tuned the damping on these cans for monoprice either didn't care, wanted excitement over neutrality, or was imho deaf. Now I can play them at spirited volumes without fatigue. I don't know if I'll keep them, I need a spend a few days in post modded form and see if i can live with the laid back sound.

Excellent research and modding.
Great info.
Looks like a great potential headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back