Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 8, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #1,786 of 8,051
  I don't have terms. It says 5 years warranty on their website, and they confirmed that on here.

I don't think Monoprice will risk the lash back from the community if they don't honor their stated warranty of 5 years. Negative feedback is far damaging to reputation and business than any legal action based on written document in this day and age of the internet.
I trust that they will honor their commitment to the community.

Mar 8, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #1,787 of 8,051
This is Monoprice's warranty terms that I just pulled from their site. It specifically says to see product ID pages for warranty length.

6.) Limited Warranties and Limitation of Liability. Monoprice warranties sometimes vary by product, and all product-specific warranties are found on product ID pages and within Monoprice's website. Subject to this limitation, in general, Monoprice warrants (a) cables for life, and (b) that all other products will be free from defects in workmanship and material for one year following delivery date, with certain exceptions. You must review product ID pages carefully for warranty information. After 30 days of delivery and during the warranty period, Monoprice will, without cost to you, at Monoprice’s option, either (i) repair defective products; (ii) furnish replacement products; or (iii) grant you credit equal to the defective products' net purchase price. Defective conditions in the products caused by third parties, acts of God, defective installation, other trades, abnormal use or stress, or other matters unrelated to Monoprice’s activities are specifically excluded from the coverage of this warranty. You also hereby agree to be bound by Monoprice's return and replacement policies. THE SITE AND SERVICES AND ALL PRODUCTS ARE MADE AVAILABLE TO YOU ON AN "AS IS" AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS, UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED IN WRITING. THE FOREGOING WARRANTIES ARE EXCLUSIVE AND ARE GIVEN AND ACCEPTED IN LIEU OF ANY AND ALL OTHER WARRANTIES EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. TO THE FULL EXTENT PERMISSIBLE BY APPLICABLE LAW, MONOPRICE DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, NONINFRINGEMENT, AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND ALL OTHER REMEDIES. THE REMEDIES DESCRIBED IN THIS SECTION 6 ARE YOUR ONLY REMEDIES FOR ANY BREACH OF WARRANTY OR ANY OTHER CLAIM. MONOPRICE’S TOTAL LIABILITY ARISING OUT OF THE SITE, SERVICES, PRODUCTS, OR THE USE OF THE PRODUCTS, WHETHER ON WARRANTIES OR CLAIM OF NEGLIGENCE, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL NOT IN ANY CASE EXCEED THE COST PAID FOR THE DEFECTIVE PRODUCT OR 50 DOLLARS, WHICHEVER IS LESS, AND MONOPRICE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTY FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR SPECIAL DAMAGES.

Here is a link to the full page. https://www.monoprice.com/help?pn=termsofuse

Mar 8, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #1,788 of 8,051
  This is Monoprice's warranty terms that I just pulled from their site. It specifically says to see product ID pages for warranty length.

Here is a link to the full page. https://www.monoprice.com/help?pn=termsofuse

Thank you. I did not dig as deep as I should have. I am still a little miffed by comments on this thread that say Monoprice is still working on the details though. However, I do not want to detract from the time you took to post the warranty. Looking back, I should have kept my pair. For $300.00, It would have been worthwhile to make the wood ring out some exotic wood and hardwired them!

Mar 8, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #1,790 of 8,051
  So I just got my M1060 and listened to Chesky Records CD for testing high end HIFI systems. (The ultimate Demonstration Disk, 1995). you can find a youtube version (not as good as the version I have but will give you an idea). the record is guided selection of 14 songs that test different aspects of sound quality and reproduction. very informative I believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5IoRwr4DD0&index=1&list=PLdZhik4dyFHr4kncCtr024E2IfP330dP2
I want to share my first impressions here.

Build
The M1060 has no cracks or connector major issues. I swapped the cable with my Shure SE215 cable and it has the same fit as the M1060 stock cable (both plugs move/wobble slightly when you try to check the connection firmness unlike my Shure IEM connection). sound quality and connection reliability, however, is not impacted in my case. I did the opposite and connected the M1060 stock cable to my Shure IEM and it had a "firmer" connection to the the IEM female connector. I think the female connectors of the M1060 have more give and slightly looser tolerance. again, sound quality/connection is not impacted. The cable is short but I have my Micca Origin+ DAC/AMP on my disk and it is close enough. I have to be careful though when I reach for things on the other side of the desk or on the floor because how sort the cable is. I wish it was a couple of feet longer though.
The leather smells like getting into a luxury car at the dealership ... :) M1060 look, smell and feel like the "higher end" expensive headphones (probably high end need to be redefined now).
My X2 wins in the build quality (like a tank) and I would say even comfort. the M1060 is comfortable but not like X2 where I leave it on for hours.
My Micca Origin+ drives them just enough to painful level at MAX. I got the vegan pads delivered today also but I will wait on swapping the stock pads until I read more impressions.

Sound Quality
I am new to the audiophile world and only started investing last year in better systems. I believe when you start, you have a limited number of "wow" moments when you first hear quality sound that blows you out of the water compared to what you are used to hear from low quality equipment. I already had two of those wow moments; when I first heard the Philips Fidilio X2 (currently my daily driver) and when I first hooked up my KEF LS50 and listened to Lydia Gray's "sorry seem to be the hardest word". As your ears adjust to quality sound reproduction, you seem to get less WOW'ed by higher quality gear since it is not a major step up to your "burned in" ears (but surely low quality gear will sound crappier than you remember). I was worried that the M1060 would not wow me compared to the excellent X2's BUT it did. at least in some parts of the sound spectrum were the X2 dynamic driver was physically limiting. I am not even sure if it is possible to reproduce sound "much" better than this honestly with a headphone. Anything more will have probably minor impact on the listening experience IMHO. I tried the LCD-2, LCD-X and HIFIMAN HE-1000 V2 recently where I played DSD music on high end amplifier and they were excellent. The M1060, however, is right there. I may not remember the exact sound differences between them and the M1060 but I do remember the experience and that's what matters to me at least. They are all excellent and the M1060 is in the same league in SQ, IMHO. If those where on top of the "sound quality" hill having fun, then the M1060 has just joined the party. where it probably falls short is in the build quality given what others are experiencing. I have not seen any issues yet but time will tell.
Bass ? it is hitting my sweet spot for my taste. vocals are clear but tad recessed compared to my X2, not by much but I noticed it while A/B them. I will wait and reserve judgment until the cans are burned in to make a final judgment. Treble is just great and balanced (I don't like bright cans and find them too sharp and fatiguing for my ears, talking about you DT-770 :)). The M1060 has also made me appreciate my X2 when it comes to dynamic driver cans. the X2's are great too and I would recommend them anytime to my friends as a daily driver. I am also waiting for my Modhouse Argon next week so I will see how it compares to both X2 and M1060.

overall
Monoprice has really hit a home run with the M1060 when it comes to sound quality. if they pay more attention to the build quality without impacting the price, they will have a game changer and will surely dominate the market of $300+ headphones ( Audeze and HIFIMAN should be very worried!). Anyone who is in the market for buying quality headphones should try the M1060 first and see if it is worth it to pay three times that (or more) for high end ones. yes, they are that great and I second those who think that it could be an end game cans. Monoprice, don't screw this and focus on build quality now.
gs1000.gif

For those who want to use M1060 for gaming, I played BattleField 1 and I can tell you that shots and explosions are just amazing. The tightness, impact and speed of M1060 bass has added realism to the game. The Martini Henry shots in BF1, for example, has a tight powerful and fast punch to it that makes you feel its recoil and power.
as a bounus, BF1 amazing soundtrack was a real joy to listen to and I almost wanted to wait longer before starting the round. :)

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #1,791 of 8,051
Looks like an M560 clone or repackaged OEM version, except $100 more

http://tidalforceproducts.com/product/planar-magnetic/

Anyone know anything about this company?

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #1,792 of 8,051
Looks like an M560 clone or repackaged OEM version, except $100 more

http://tidalforceproducts.com/product/planar-magnetic/

Anyone know anything about this company?

Sure looks like the M560.  Same 56mm driver.

Never heard of the company. 

BTW, is the Monoprice website down at the moment I haven't been able to access it since last night?

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #1,794 of 8,051
  The site is up, it's on your end.

Yeah you are right.  For some reason its not coming up from my home IP but from my smartphone it does.  Who knows?

But in any case, I just saw that under the Monolith Series section on my smartphone the M1060 image says "Coming Winter 2017" 
eek.gif

What do you guys think that means?

Mar 8, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #1,795 of 8,051
I just unpacked my new M1060 cans and ran them through several genres of music. My first impression was "Wow!" These headphones deliver crisp sound. The soundstage bests my Sennheiser HD650s (side by side comparison). When listening to jazz, I was able to discern the player pressing individual keys on his saxophone. I heard details in my test tracks I've never noticed before; and that's listening to burned cds. I have a DAP player arriving this weekend and some Miles Davis flac files just itching to be listened to.
I will say that these are NOT headphones for mobile phones. While adequate enough to listen to music, the phone lacks the power to drive these to full potential. Likewise, since they're open back, the best listening is away from noisy locations.
Someone above asked if these were clones of the M560s. I can definitely say they're not. These sport 106mm planar drivers, not 56mm. They also have a low frequency reproduction down to 10hz as opposed to 16hz. Also, they can handle a full 1 watt max input power whereas the M560s max is half that.

All that being said, I can honestly say these are the best headphones I've purchased yet. Who knows, after buying 10 different pairs in 4 years, these might be my last pair for awhile. We'll see...

Mar 8, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #1,796 of 8,051
Yeah you are right.  For some reason its not coming up from my home IP but from my smartphone it does.  Who knows?

But in any case, I just saw that under the Monolith Series section on my smartphone the M1060 image says "Coming Winter 2017" :eek:

What do you guys think that means?

This is how it looks on my phone. Maybe they updated the site and that's the reason why it intially wasn't loading for you.

Mar 8, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #1,799 of 8,051
  overall
Monoprice has really hit a home run with the M1060 when it comes to sound quality. if they pay more attention to the build quality without impacting the price, they will have a game changer and will surely dominate the market of $300+ headphones ( Audeze and HIFIMAN should be very worried!). Anyone who is in the market for buying quality headphones should try the M1060 first and see if it is worth it to pay three times that (or more) for high end ones. yes, they are that great and I second those who think that it could be an end game cans. Monoprice, don't screw this and focus on build quality now.
gs1000.gif

Indeed, so glad someone is in the market that isn't into the crazy mark-up game. And they are WAY comfortable IMO than the Audeze cans, which was an issue.

Audeze has released headphone after headphone weighing too much, never addressing the problem, until wait for it....

If you wanna see just how much of a joke Audeze is, look no further than below. Yep, that's $200 bucks for a freaking floating headband pad, (which the M-1060

already comes with). Yep, that's right. They charge 2/3rd the price of this WHOLE HEADPHONE for a stupid leather headband to help with the ridiculous weight. 

Really?! Think about it guys, $200 bucks for the leather headband.... talk about a mark-up!

https://www.audeze.com/products/accessories/lcd-carbon-fiber-headband

So yeah, thanks mono price for NOT being like Audeze!

Mar 8, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #1,800 of 8,051
2 new headphones. M1060 and PC37X. VERY impressed with both.

Sennheiser really stepped up their game with the their newest headset. I'd easily recommend this going forward to new people. Great starter can and mic. I hated the PC363 for music, where the PC37X can hold its own. $119 and better than some of my other cans. Super easy to drive.

M1060 is a steal as well. Pretty good soundstage, deep and quick bass, comfortable, and beats the majority of my headphones. Heavier than I'm used to, but not horrible.

I'll be giving these two more time this week. Hopefully have a write up soon. I'll compare to my other cans to give a sense of where I think they fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back