Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones
Mar 7, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #1,741 of 8,051
I really like these for gaming. Figured I'd break them in with no critical listening yet. No connector issues. Really liking them so far.

Mar 7, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #1,742 of 8,051
Impact Audio is on hold till they get feedback on the cables  that they sent out .I was told that there should be results by end of this week to see if the the Shure configuration worked. 

I am still deabting if these are going to be returned. I have had mine 1 week today and no cracks or connector issues . I bought the Vegan pads and they might be for sale if I return these. Cosidering putting this toward some Schitt JOTUNHEIM  with DA  or without and Bifrost Multibit .  How does the Multibit DAC AD5547CRUZ digital to analog converter sound compared to 
AK4490 DAC Module ? I gues trying say is extra $500 dor upgradded Dac really sound like 2x the price? 

Own the HE-400I and have Mr. Speakers AEON on order so maybe enough planars for awhile. 

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #1,743 of 8,051
Received mine today. No cracks or connector problems (yet). They do have a strong smell to them. Powering them with my ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card.

Coming from the HD598, these sound amazing. They're really smooth, clear, and pleasant to listen to.

The bass on these surprised me. It's definitely more than the HD598, but isn't overpowering. It has a nice presence.

The treble is a bit recessed as others have stated. 

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #1,744 of 8,051
Monoprice couldn't be better to work with on returns.  

Basically "I'll process the refund right now...or...if you want a replacement...keep the ones you have now and call us and start the return process right before the next batch releases and you'll have a new pair."

Good people.

No cracking.

After more time listening to them...they really are great headphones and definitely one of the better pairs you can get at the $300 range.

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #1,746 of 8,051
Got mine in today.

Immediately connected my balanced Fidue MMCX cable instead of stock. No cable connection issues. No cracking. Fit is very comfortable.

Sound wise... My balanced AKG 7XX will probably be going up for sale. Out of the box they could give my old HE-500 a run for their money easy. My LH Labs Infinity V2+ drives it easily. Soundstage is above average. Nice lively sound... way more bass than I expected, subbass too, trounces the HE-500 in that area and I love it. I sold the HE-500 because I wanted more bass like this.

This is with 5 minutes of listening. Yes that 5k peak needs to be tamed a bit, but a few db EQ cut does that no problem without needing to mod.

Very satisfied. Will try unbalanced eventually, but why ruin a good thing?

Mar 7, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #1,747 of 8,051
Hey guys quick question here how do the M560 and M1060 pair with monoprice's headphone amps?

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #1,748 of 8,051
  This is with 5 minutes of listening. Yes that 5k peak needs to be tamed a bit, but a few db EQ cut does that no problem without needing to mod.

I have my EQ in Jriver set to cut 5 db at 5k with a Q of 1. Does this seem like a reasonable eq setting? I'm a bit hesitant to eq headphones but this setting does smooth out the upper mids considerably.

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #1,749 of 8,051

I have my EQ in Jriver set to cut 5 db at 5k with a Q of 1. Does this seem like a reasonable eq setting? I'm a bit hesitant to eq headphones but this setting does smooth out the upper mids considerably.

Since cskippy and others posted graphs, the easiest starting point is to flatten the peaks you see in those graphs. Save that, then you can slightly boost other areas.

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #1,750 of 8,051
One suggestion I'll make is to try and not EQ any one area more than ~3dB or so.  It tends to become really apparent when EQing any more than that IME.  

Mar 7, 2017 at 9:55 PM Post #1,751 of 8,051
  Hey guys quick question here how do the M560 and M1060 pair with monoprice's headphone amps?

I have the 11567 dac/amp, that I refer to as "The monoprice brick of blah" and it powers the m1060 just fine.  I really don't want to play it any louder than with the knob at about the 9:00 position on low gain with most music...although maybe with really quiet stuff such as classical I would be tempted to hit the switch to high gain.  As it relates to the dac/amp itself, I don't really think it sounds very good at high gain, it's always felt like there was some noise introduced when on high gain, even if I reduced the volume.

I did switch back and forth with my beyer dynamic dt990 pros a few times...the 1060's are of course slightly easier to drive than the 990's.  I'm not saying the 990's are hard to drive because they are not, but the 1060's are relatively easy. 

For the record, my 1060's have about 40 hours of playtime in them, my BD's have a ton.  40 hours should be good enough in my opinion.

Mar 7, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #1,752 of 8,051
  Since cskippy and others posted graphs, the easiest starting point is to flatten the peaks you see in those graphs. Save that, then you can slightly boost other areas.

One suggestion I'll make is to try and not EQ any one area more than ~3dB or so.  It tends to become really apparent when EQing any more than that IME.  

This is what I came up with using Cskippy's graph. Does it look like a reasonable eq setting? It sounds like a big improvement but I don't trust my ears with eq.

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #1,753 of 8,051

This is what I came up with using Cskippy's graph. Does it look like a reasonable eq setting? It sounds like a big improvement but I don't trust my ears with eq.

I would boost it a tad at 2k rather than cut at 1k, but that comes down to personal preference.

Also, spend a bunch of time fiddling with Q and frequency around the 5k peak, as each individual headphone is going to have the peak at a slightly different frequency, and since there's a large dip immediately following the peak the last thing you want to do is overshoot and end up making the dip worse (phase will be really sad if you do). If the 5k range sounds good to you then it's probably fine, your ears have final authority and you can always continue to tweak in the future. If you're not noticing a huge difference try making a really large cut at high Q and sweep it around the 3.5-6.5 range to see if you can hear when it intersects with the center point between peak and trough, as the frequency gap will become much more noticeable at that point. Then you'll know about where your peak is and where to cut at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back