Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Nov 16, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #166 of 841
I tried the portable for several hours over the course of yesterday and today.

It has juice. Setting of -20 dB or so would drive my DT990 250Ω, a pair of HD600, and a few planars I had lying around. -16 dB was the highest I had to go with any of them, before it was on the verge of too loud. The headphones I used are all relatively easy to drive, but then again the amp can go 32 dB higher than the maximum I used (after mute, gain runs from -60 dB through +16 dB max).

While my tests are very much unscientific, they do reflect my real-world usage. I heard exactly zero noise outside of any recording. I cranked it to +16 dB when the media player was muted, to see if there was some inherent noise in the amp, and heard nothing. Again, very unscientific, but I did it. I tried this with USB and optical inputs, both with and without the unit plugged into a charger. Maybe my ears aren't sensitive enough to hear the noise, or maybe the noise isn't there. Also, I did not try the 3.5mm analog input, so who knows.

I'm not a fan of the Dirac processing. Folds inward, the low end starts to disappear. The EQ is also not useful to me, because I would need presets in order for it to be worthwhile. It takes way too long just to dial in a single parametric band, and I can't picture doing that every time just to tweak 4 kHz on this heaphone, 8 kHz on that headphone.

Would I spend $250 for it? If I needed the portable form factor, sure. Otherwise no. I would not buy this as a desktop replacement. But I would be tempted if for some reason my phone wasn't enough for the headphones I use on my commute.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #167 of 841
I tried the portable for several hours over the course of yesterday and today.

It has juice. Setting of -20 dB or so would drive my DT990 250Ω, a pair of HD600, and a few planars I had lying around. -16 dB was the highest I had to go with any of them, before it was on the verge of too loud. The headphones I used are all relatively easy to drive, but then again the amp can go 32 dB higher than the maximum I used (after mute, gain runs from -60 dB through +16 dB max).

While my tests are very much unscientific, they do reflect my real-world usage. I heard exactly zero noise outside of any recording. I cranked it to +16 dB when the media player was muted, to see if there was some inherent noise in the amp, and heard nothing. Again, very unscientific, but I did it. I tried this with USB and optical inputs, both with and without the unit plugged into a charger. Maybe my ears aren't sensitive enough to hear the noise, or maybe the noise isn't there. Also, I did not try the 3.5mm analog input, so who knows.

I'm not a fan of the Dirac processing. Folds inward, the low end starts to disappear. The EQ is also not useful to me, because I would need presets in order for it to be worthwhile. It takes way too long just to dial in a single parametric band, and I can't picture doing that every time just to tweak 4 kHz on this heaphone, 8 kHz on that headphone.

Would I spend $250 for it? If I needed the portable form factor, sure. Otherwise no. I would not buy this as a desktop replacement. But I would be tempted if for some reason my phone wasn't enough for the headphones I use on my commute.
The monoprice page for the portable amp only has one review/rating up so far. Doesn't look too good from what he said. I don't think anyone else has had the same issues though, so maybe he just got a bad unit.

Nov 17, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #168 of 841
This is one of the very first consumer THX amps, so I'm pretty sure the DAC is not intended to be the star of the show. The DAC would if anything be more of a feature to differentiate it from Massdrop's offering.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the product here, but I thought the Dirac, PEQ and Shelf EQ, digital filters, and dynamic range control were all features of the DAC rather than the amp? For me, those are a much bigger draw than the low distortion of the amp.

Nov 17, 2018 at 12:17 AM Post #169 of 841
Maybe I am misunderstanding the product here, but I thought the Dirac, PEQ and Shelf EQ, digital filters, and dynamic range control were all features of the DAC rather than the amp? For me, those are a much bigger draw than the low distortion of the amp.

I'd probably agree, but I don't think that's how the product is positioned.

Nov 17, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #170 of 841
The monoprice page for the portable amp only has one review/rating up so far. Doesn't look too good from what he said. I don't think anyone else has had the same issues though, so maybe he just got a bad unit.

This person may have gotten a bad unit and has been commenting on said unit here:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...price-monolith-thx-aaa-portable-dac-amp.5122/

I've seen two other brief reviews on these forums, both of which were positive. One person claiming to prefer it over the iDSD Black Label:

"My Monolith by Monoprice Portable Headphone Amplifier and DAC with THX AAA Technology has arrived and I am listening to it now out my X7 gen II with my IMR R1’s. Holy cow this thing sounds awesome. I paid less than 3 hundred for this?!!! I have iDSD black label, Vorzuge Vorzamp Duo And Duo II, fiio Q5, FX Audio fireye HDB and others. This amp is at the top of the pile. The air! The clarity. I haven’t even played with the eq. Dabbled with sensaround just a bit. R1 doesn’t need it. It might be just for full size headphones, I don’t know."

Above quoted from: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mon...-by-alex-cavalli.876406/page-37#post-14590993

And another who prefers it over the Chord Mojo which is impressive considering the cost difference:

"My portable version came in today. Used a HibyMusic R3 to feed the monolith and used my beloved Utopia and Etymotic ER3XR to listen with. Decided to compare them against a mojo and after listening to a few Amy Winehouse and Bob Marley tracks I've concluded I prefer the monolith. This is with the Dirac Sensaround (dsp?) enabled. Mojo has a warmer sound. Monolith's sound quality sounds cleaner, transparent and more tonally correct to my ears. Sensaround makes the soundstage a bit bigger. Listening to the monolith and er3xr combo gave me a wow moment. I've never heard the etys bass as good as this pairing before. Monolith has enough juice to drive the Utopia to dangerous listening levels. I had mines on average at around -15 dB. Monolith volume goes up to +16 dB. So far I'm very impressed."

From bottom of page 10 of this thread

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #172 of 841
Nov 17, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #176 of 841
Does anyone know if the parametric eq has presets? It would be very useful to have different presets for each pair of headphones I have.

No presets, which is a weird choice. If it had presets (and, preferably, more than 3 EQ slots) it would be much more appealing. I don't know why you would make something like this and only design it to EQ one set of headphones.

Nov 17, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #177 of 841
I decided to give this thing a go. Hopefully it'll arrive before thanksgiving for me

Nov 19, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #178 of 841
Think my portable amp unit could be defective. I can't get it to play through coax with a Hiby R3. Tested the R3 coax with a Xduoo xd05 and Hugo 2 and they both work.

Nov 19, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #180 of 841
Your unit is not defective. The portable's digital input is optical (Toslink) - not coaxial.

facepalm. I should read more carefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back