Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by XERO1, Sep 11, 2017.
  1. XERO1
    244591.jpg

244592.jpg

elec_monoprice.jpg

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24459

This was just shown at the 2017 CEDIA show. It looks pretty sweet for $399!

I believe it is the first amp to use THX AAA amp modules and Dirac Sensaround II processing.

There's not too much info available on it yet and it won't be available until 10/24 (at the earliest).

I'll update this post as more info becomes available.

2. XERO1
    Quick update:

While there are both RCA and XLR inputs for the amp section, there are no outputs for its DAC section, and its DAC can only be used with the internal amp.

IMHO, this is a huge missed opportunity and makes it a much less versatile device.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  3. mandrake50
    Agreed. I wonder if that has anything to do with the THX licensing?

4. Asahi Templar
    It looks like they have changed the design and now it does have RCA DAC outputs, very nice change. Now I wonder if you are able to cycle through the AKM filters. Seems like a exceptionally good deal if the THX amp lives up the hype. That surround processing has big potential for gamers and movie watchers especially. Its supposed to be a quite subtle effect which is great IMO.
    [​IMG] T

5. HipHopScribe
    Where do you see that they've added outputs?

6. Asahi Templar
    Its the picture I posted, they updated the product page on Monoprice.com. You can see Analog RCA output in the middle of the Balanced XLR ones.

7. HipHopScribe
    Those are labeled inputs

8. Asahi Templar
    For me I see 2 sets of RCA one says in the other says out. You might want to clear your browsers cache, could be loading the old image if you have been to the page before.

9. HipHopScribe
    Strange, it still doesn't show up right for me even after clearing my cache, but anyway that's definitely a needed change

10. Asahi Templar
    [​IMG]
    Ill try putting it on file hosting site maybe this one will show up correctly. THey changed the way the back looks quite a bit, reversed inputs and outputs side and added RCA outputs.
    [​IMG]

XERO1 and HipHopScribe like this.
  11. NuClear235
    Now they change backplate? It seems it is it still not in final stage. I hoped this product will sell next month :frowning2:

12. XERO1
    Now that's more like it!

Of course I would prefer it to have a balanced output instead of a balanced input, but I'll take what I can get.

The Monolith Desktop just got a whole lot more attractive to me!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  13. lugnut
    I still don't see a updated picture on monoprice site. Yes cleared my browser and no change. How about posting a link to new picture. Thanks

14. Asahi Templar
    I actually posted one a few posts back, but here is the direct link to where I uploaded it to imgur. https://i.imgur.com/elwqPQG.jpg . I am in Japan so I am assuming I am seeing a different version of the Monoprice website than everyone else which might be why its not showing up. Some more news is that the ETA now says 1/23/2018. So it looks like it has been delayed until next year likely to make these changes to the back-plate. No idea if that is final or not and they still havent added the full specs.

They must have saw all the feedback which was along the lines of "NO LINE OUT NO BUY!" and decided to redesign it.

15. NuClear235
    Strange is, how it will be implemented. Dirac is optimization for headphones. How it will sound on speakers thru line out...
    And what about balanced out ? Headphone amp is balanced :)