Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Nov 5, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #136 of 841
Wow you're right! Hopefully the desktop is just around the corner. I don't know if I should get both as I'm primarily interested in the desktop version
Yeah. For my portable needs I already have an iFi xDSD, and a Hidizs DH1000, both of which support balanced... I think I will sit the portable out, at least until someone convinces me it truly is something special compared to what I already have...

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #137 of 841
That portable looks lovely, but it's hard to tell from the specs if that's going to be enough power to drive planars well. It's about as much amp as on a decent DAP.

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:35 PM Post #138 of 841
It is going to be interesting to see if we ever get an explanation about what happened over the last week or two with the Monoprice availability notices on the LP, portable, and desktop dac/amp offerings...

Nov 5, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #140 of 841
The portable is interesting for its inclusion of EQ, which is unusual. But I’d like to see reviews before jumping in.
Agree! I would be happy to buy it if there is enough differentiation over the portable gear I have already... EQ might do it for me, but I too will wait for reviews...

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #142 of 841
Agree! I would be happy to buy it if there is enough differentiation over the portable gear I have already... EQ might do it for me, but I too will wait for reviews...

Agreed. The use case might be pretty narrow for me given the available power on the amp. If the EQ features look tight, I may get the desktop unit instead.

Nov 6, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #143 of 841
BTW, re: the portable unit (we should probably set up a separate thread if there isn't one already) I asked about the output impedance, since it wasn't listed in the specs. They said it's 0.16 Ohms at 1 Khz, so should be good for driving low-impedance IEMs, provided the noise floor is also good.

It's pretty bulky though, 5.4" long and half a pound? Unless that weight is the shipping weight.

Nov 6, 2018 at 1:24 PM Post #144 of 841
Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #145 of 841
I also got an answer re: a question I had about how the EQ works:

The EQ can be turn on/off globally not per band. EQ includes 2-band hi/low shelf + 3-band parametric. There are no presets.
So, that seems a bit limiting if you're going to be using multiple pairs of headphones/earphones. I would love to be able to have PEQ in a DAC/amp for my iSine 20, but (a) I'm not sure that 3 PEQ adjustments is enough and (b) Once I had the settings in place for the iSine, I wouldn't be able to use another pair of phones that require EQ (even a simple bass boost) without basically re-doing all the settings.

Nov 6, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #146 of 841
I also got an answer re: a question I had about how the EQ works:

The EQ can be turn on/off globally not per band. EQ includes 2-band hi/low shelf + 3-band parametric. There are no presets.
So, that seems a bit limiting if you're going to be using multiple pairs of headphones/earphones. I would love to be able to have PEQ in a DAC/amp for my iSine 20, but (a) I'm not sure that 3 PEQ adjustments is enough and (b) Once I had the settings in place for the iSine, I wouldn't be able to use another pair of phones that require EQ (even a simple bass boost) without basically re-doing all the settings.
I think you would want the RME ADI-2 DAC for that, but then you trade off adjustable crossfeed as opposed to the Direc. The RME is also double the price.

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #147 of 841
Never mind - I see there is a thread already started and discussion underway for a couple of weeks...

Anyone notice the electrostatic headphones they came out with today?

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p...181106_monolith_headphone&deliveryName=DM4889

I certainly missed any prior mentions...

I didn't see those, interesting for sure. And they aren't Koss collaborations like Massdrops. I'm curious to see some reviews. And are you saying there is a thread for the portable Monoprice THX DAC/AMP? I can't find it and I'd like to hear some impressions of buyers, which should be soon if they purchased first day.

Nov 7, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #148 of 841
I didn't see those, interesting for sure. And they aren't Koss collaborations like Massdrops. I'm curious to see some reviews. And are you saying there is a thread for the portable Monoprice THX DAC/AMP? I can't find it and I'd like to hear some impressions of buyers, which should be soon if they purchased first day.
Was saying there already is a thread on the electrostatic headphones from monoprice.

Nov 8, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #149 of 841
The portable THX DAC/Amp also has dual AK D/A chips and dual THX modules.

The description might have been updated since your post, but the product page for the portable version says one converter chip and one amp module - "Featuring a THX AAA™ 788 amplifier module for superior amplification and extended battery life, an AKM® 4493 DAC for an exceptionally musical experience"

Nov 10, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #150 of 841
My portable version came in today. Used a HibyMusic R3 to feed the monolith and used my beloved Utopia and Etymotic ER3XR to listen with. Decided to compare them against a mojo and after listening to a few Amy Winehouse and Bob Marley tracks I've concluded I prefer the monolith. This is with the Dirac Sensaround (dsp?) enabled. Mojo has a warmer sound. Monolith's sound quality sounds cleaner, transparent and more tonally correct to my ears. Sensaround makes the soundstage a bit bigger. Listening to the monolith and er3xr combo gave me a wow moment. I've never heard the etys bass as good as this pairing before. Monolith has enough juice to drive the Utopia to dangerous listening levels. I had mines on average at around -15 dB. Monolith volume goes up to +16 dB. So far I'm very impressed.

received_273416129984072-picsay.jpeg 20181109_204448.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back