Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Nov 20, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #196 of 841
Im looking for impressions about the Dirac, which is the big feature distinguishing this unit.
I'll try testing out the Dirac once I'm done modifying the display with amber and red taillight tapes. I generally don't like having white (or worse, blue) lights in a dark room.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #198 of 841
If you want your end game transparent (balanced) amp/DAC, then I'd look no further than this (or any other similarly priced solutions).

Dangit. I passed on the Monolith desktop because (at the time) the ship date was mid-December and I am impatient. So I got a Topping D50 and THX 789 instead.

D50->789 is a great setup, and I won't be changing it, but if I was more patient then I would have ended up with the more compact form factor that I wanted. First-world problems.

Killer unit on paper, so it's great that you're also experiencing great performance in real-world use.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #199 of 841
Dangit. I passed on the Monolith desktop because (at the time) the ship date was mid-December and I am impatient. So I got a Topping D50 and THX 789 instead.

D50->789 is a great setup, and I won't be changing it, but if I was more patient then I would have ended up with the more compact form factor that I wanted. First-world problems.

Killer unit on paper, so it's great that you're also experiencing great performance in real-world use.
I agree. The selling point for me between the Mp THX and Md THX was that with the Mp I'd have a single chassis on my desk with a digital display and volume control all for a pretty killer price.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 11:40 PM Post #201 of 841
Listening to it. beware the default -20db volume is too loud for balanced onto LCD-3.
The build is solid as other dac/amp made in China, such as LKS, Audio-GD.
Stack with Ifi is just right, they almost have same width.
IMG_0367.JPG IMG_0369.JPG IMG_0374.JPG

Nov 20, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #203 of 841
Im looking for impressions about the Dirac, which is the big feature distinguishing this unit.
This is still just my early impressions of Dirac, but it seems like it shifts the headspace a bit vertically. It's pretty noticeable I would say, almost the same way as inverting the signal's phase would be. With Dirac off it might be overall a bit louder, but Dirac might have more clarity.

Nov 21, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #204 of 841
EQ is pretty simple. You get a Low Frequency control that you can set by increments of 10 Hz (120 Hz default) with ±6 dB of control, and a High Frequency control that you can set by increments of 1 kHz (8 kHz default) with ±6 dB of control.

Nov 21, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #208 of 841
Don't know about foobar2000, but in windows I'd go to my audio setting, then edit my playback device settings to the max sampling and bit rates available. I think it was 24-bit with 382 kHz (or 300 something) sampling rate through USB, which is quite a bit higher than what Monoprice advertised.

Nov 21, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #209 of 841
I am happy to say the Monolith THX works with my LG v30+ (andriod phone) using an OTG cable. I couldn't be happier! :)

(edit) It's limited to USB PCM 48 kHz though.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back