Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Nov 21, 2018 at 1:50 AM Post #212 of 841
Ok, I figured it out.
I downloaded wasapi driver, and along with sacd decoder, i can get it play
includes DSD files.
IMG_0383.JPG
But, it can only play 24bit, set it to 32bit will be error on foobar2000.
in foobar2000:
output - dsd,wasapi(push) - "event" will not work well, sound is garbled and distorted
choose 24bit (32bit will be error)
DIRAC feature is disabled when playing DSD:triportsad:
Along with other setting disabled (only SETTING is available to change).

I still think a driver is needed to utilize its full strength.
Not sure why Monoprice doesn't provide driver with this latest DAC.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #213 of 841
About Dirac feature, it does change the sound field, I would not say sound stage, because
the change is a little odd, it moves some instrument sound to back and higher in space,
it seems lost if you don't listen carefully.
This is just my brief back and forth comparison with one sound track,just FYI and YMMV.

Nov 21, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #214 of 841
About Dirac feature, it does change the sound field, I would not say sound stage, because
the change is a little odd, it moves some instrument sound to back and higher in space,
it seems lost if you don't listen carefully.
This is just my brief back and forth comparison with one sound track,just FYI and YMMV.
I got a similar impression. It is slightly back, but noticibly higher. With Dirac off the music also sounds fuller (more bass hum, ambience, and the like), whereas with Dirac on the music seems more detailed.

Not sure if the feature is good really. It's seems like an arbitrary change that may fit some songs and movies, but not others. In that sense it might just be a gimmick, but I'll wait and hear what everyone else has to say about it.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 2:39 AM Post #215 of 841
I am happy to say the Monolith THX works with my LG v30+ (andriod phone) using an OTG cable. I couldn't be happier! :)

(edit) It's limited to USB PCM 48 kHz though.
I habe same phone. No problems with uapp?

Nov 21, 2018 at 2:56 AM Post #216 of 841
I habe same phone. No problems with uapp?
I don't use uapp anymore. I use MX Player Pro instead. But ya, it works with everything pretty much (YouTube, Chrome, etc.).

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 3:03 AM Post #217 of 841
As long as everything is fine and dandy, neutral, and the noise/distortion is inaudible, then the only spec that matters quickly becomes the price (and features) as far as I am concerned :)
I agree! And that’s why I like to know how it measures... How do I connect those two seemingly unrelated (unrelatable?) perspectives? If I like how something sounds as part of a specific sound chain, and it measures poorly, I will be worried about how it behaves with other components in a chain. If I like how it sounds as part of a particular sound chain, and it measures well, I will have confidence (even if misplaced :)) I will be satisfied with (or predict how it will behave with) other components/chains.

But, no matter what, I hope you continue to enjoy your Monolith dac/amp, and I really hope it measures well so I will have the justification I am looking for, on top of positive reviews by listeners like you, to buy one myself!

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #218 of 841
But, no matter what, I hope you continue to enjoy your Monolith dac/amp, and I really hope it measures well so I will have the justification I am looking for, on top of positive reviews by listeners like you, to buy one myself!
I am enjoying my Monolith very much at the moment. So much so that I've already committed and modified her internally. And right now I quite literally have her in bed with me and am watching late night movies on my phone using her as the source. :jecklinsmile:

Nov 21, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #219 of 841
I am enjoying my Monolith very much at the moment. So much so that I've already committed and modified her internally. And right now I quite literally have her in bed with me and am watching late night movies on my phone using her as the source. :jecklinsmile:

Modified? Can you elaborate :)?

Ps if you already removed the chassis any chance for a pic of her internals? :D

Nov 21, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #220 of 841
Modified? Can you elaborate :)?

Ps if you already removed the chassis any chance for a pic of her internals? :D
Inside she's all black and clean, the modification was to give her bosom a warm orange glow. Even had a bit of foot play:

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #221 of 841
WAY TOO MUCH information!!! :)

Nov 21, 2018 at 4:08 AM Post #224 of 841
What was she wearing?
All black with a nasty white glow. It's cool though, I gave her a veil and now she glows a warm orange. I can't give anymore details than that or maybe the mods will get mad at me :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back