Monoprice Monolith Desktop THX Amp/DAC (#24459) - Impressions Thread
Nov 20, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #187 of 841
Mine will be here today.
I am going to take it on 2nd thought, and try it on
Thanksgiven holiday.
I envy your maturity to be able to wait, there's no way I could wait that long to try this after it comes in. After already having waited for months through all the delays, I'll probably be like a child giddy with excitement over his new toy :)

Nov 20, 2018 at 4:05 PM Post #188 of 841
mine should arrive tomorrow.

Nov 20, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #189 of 841
Mine was delivered today, but I haven't had time to do anything with it yet. Not sure if I should just send it back unopened or take a chance and stack it up against my CTH.

Nov 20, 2018 at 8:41 PM Post #190 of 841
Not sure if I'll post an indept review or not, but here are my initial impressions. (I have yet to try out the EQ as well).

- yes, this amp/DAC is transparent, which is the main reason why there's no need for an indepth review (along with there being no audible noise floor)
- no audible noise from amp with maxed out source and amp volume with a muted YouTube video playing
- digital volume control is good. it has a gradual delay put in place for volume changes, as to not explode your ears from increasing volume to quickly.
- balanced headphone out is capable of taking the volume to deafening levels when on your head, and when not on your head loud enough to play your headphones like they are speakers and pushes it enough to distort the bass on my heavily modded/dampened DT1770 drivers.
- there seems to be a circuit overload protection feature as well. I was triggering it before at normal listening volumes, but I can't seem to set it off anymore so I'm not sure how it works entirely (Edit: plugging and unplugging into/from the HP outputs when a signal is actively ouputing)
- unbalanced and balanced headphone out can be used at the same time, but you only have the one volume control for both

If you want your end game transparent (balanced) amp/DAC, then I'd look no further than this (or any other similarly priced solutions). No need to pay more for what you can't even hear. Like I said, completely neutral with no audible n/s ratio or noise floor. No amount of money will change that, and hopefully this will only get cheaper over the years.

That's just everything that I value though, I guess. Feel free to ask me any questions (other than measurements) you have about the Mp THX desktop.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #191 of 841
Not sure if I'll post an indept review or not, but here are my initial impressions.

- yes, this amp/DAC is transparent, which is the main reason why there's no need for an indepth review (along with there being no audible noise floor)
- no audible noise from amp with maxed out source and amp volume with a muted YouTube video playing
- digital volume control is good. it has a gradual delay put in place for volume changes, as to not explode your ears from increasing volume to quickly.
- balanced headphone out is capable of taking the volume to deafening levels when on your head, and when not on your head loud enough to play your headphones like they are speakers and pushes it enough to distort the bass on my heavily modded/dampened DT1770 drivers.
- there seems to be a circuit overload protection feature as well. I was triggering it before at normal listening volumes, but I can't seem to set it off anymore so I'm not sure how it works entirely
- unbalanced and balanced headphone out can be used at the same time, but you only have the one volume control for both

If you want your end game transparent (balanced) amp/DAC, then I'd look no further than this (or any other similarly priced solutions). No need to pay more for what you can't even hear. Like I said, completely neutral with no audible n/s ratio or noise floor. No amount of money will change that, and hopefully this will only get cheaper over the years.

That's just everything that I value though, I guess. Feel free to ask me any questions (other than measurements) you have about the Mp THX desktop.
Nice!

Want to buy, but waiting to see measurements. But this is on my short list!

Nov 20, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #192 of 841
Nice!

Want to buy, but waiting to see measurements. But this is on my short list!
Not sure what measurements will tell you, but if you do look at such things, make sure they are from a reputable source like atomic bob, and not from some pseudo audio scientist.

Nov 20, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #194 of 841
Not sure what measurements will tell you, but if you do look at such things, make sure they are from a reputable source like atomic bob, and not from some pseudo audio scientist.
I do look for such things... sort of like buying a car... Clearly I want to buy a car that I like the way it looks, feels, and drives. I also want to know the measured specs on crash safety, acceleration and braking distance, etc, even if I take it around the block for a test drive and it subjectively feels good to me, I still want the data. I imagine a lot of others, if they think about it this way, would tend to agree.

But, hey, I’m just looking for all the facts, without any of the drama! I will take data from anyone with sensitive enough equipment to test the limits of the amp/dac and not the limits of the testing equipment itself, the skill to do the testing right, and no preconceived biases!

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #195 of 841
As long as everything is fine and dandy, neutral, and the noise/distortion is inaudible, then the only spec that matters quickly becomes the price (and features) as far as I am concerned :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back