Monolith M1570 Over Ear Open Back Balanced Planar Headphones
Aug 11, 2022 at 6:55 AM Post #826 of 1,015
So... I broke some of the wires inside the speaker units and ended up soldering on some new ones. While I was at it, I cleaned up the solder joints on the units since they were quite large. Put it all together and now it sounds better? It's like the sound stage opened up and now I can pick out instruments easier.

Either this is a placebo or I accidentally made these headphones better...
Let's just say it's a Happy Accident :wink:

Anyone got any idea on some ideal headband replacements?

I do believe @hottyson used an Audeze headband on his M1570.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #827 of 1,015
Aug 12, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #829 of 1,015
I used to own these. They're awesome. If they had a better headband, a few more well known headphones would be invalidated. The same could be said for the M1060 and M1060C.
Which is why I want a new headband. Too bad yoke kits are nonexistent...

Aug 12, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #831 of 1,015
Hifiman / Audeze headband won't fit it?
Yoke kit for Audeze is nonexistent anywhere (even the official audeze store won't have em in stock for months).

Not sure about hifiman, I tried the extreme comfort headband but that was too small.

Aug 12, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #833 of 1,015
Last edited:
Aug 12, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #834 of 1,015
Aug 12, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #835 of 1,015
Aug 23, 2022 at 1:42 PM Post #836 of 1,015
20220823_114446sm.jpg

Obviously joining the party late, but I am rather excited to share the new cans (and boy were they a deal)! Decided to stop, while on the way home, at a pawn shop i infrequently hit. I always check the headphones, as that is where I have found EVERY set of cans i own (HD650, HD800, LCD-2). Sure enough, i got lucky and spotted the M1570 there; they were marked at $200, but they took my offer of $160 out the door. How could i refuse?! (Oh, and when they pulled it out, i saw that it had a hart audio cable included)

I am still getting a feel for them, but very excited going into it, seeing the comparisons of it to the LCD-X (and even one for the LCD-3). So far they are very satisfying, though I can see the complaints about the build quality; the yolks are wigglier than i would like, but they grip well. I feel like i like them more than i remember liking my LCD-2 (still have them, but put them aside for the HD800).

I do think i have to slim down my collection; probably time to retire my HD650 and Hifiman 400se... or just keep WAY too many damn cans..

Sep 1, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #837 of 1,015
These headphones have spoiled me. I keep looking at headphone deals and classified ads and realize that except for maybe the upper-midrange and high-end stuff none of it is going to be an upgrade and very little will be a worthwhile side-grade.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, if any of you bought something as an upgrade to the M1570 what was it?

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 11:32 AM Post #838 of 1,015
Ahahahaha hahaha ha! Audeze UK has the yoke replacement kit in stock! Headband replacement inbound!

These headphones have spoiled me. I keep looking at headphone deals and classified ads and realize that except for maybe the upper-midrange and high-end stuff none of it is going to be an upgrade and very little will be a worthwhile side-grade.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, if any of you bought something as an upgrade to the M1570 what was it?
I run it off my basic IFi Zen DAC V2 + CAN and that's good enough for me. The 3d mode and the bass boost with an oratory EQ makes it really nice to use.

If I was going to buy another pair of headphones, it'd be the Focal Elegia, Celestee or Radiance cause I got to try them at a store and loved how they sounded and they're closed back.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #839 of 1,015

earlier discussion on a better unit was HE6se v2 + juicy 3w+ amp @hottyson drives his on a RebelAmp. The HE6se v2 can be had on Adorama for $499 with appropriate link.

Sep 1, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #840 of 1,015
earlier discussion on a better unit was HE6se v2 + juicy 3w+ amp @hottyson drives his on a RebelAmp. The HE6se v2 can be had on Adorama for $499 with appropriate link.
Correct, I run $500 HifiMan HE6se V2 on a $600 Rebel Audio RebelAmp. The HE6se V2 sounds EQUALLY AS GOOD on my $600 RebelAmp as it does on my $2,000 Headamp GS-X Mini. Mind blown. There is some synergistic magic going on inside the RebelAmp when paired with the He6se V2. Boggles my mind how good those two pair together considering how powerful the GS-X Mini can be.
The other headphones that were an upgrade from the Monoprice M1570 headphones are the ZMF Aeolus paired with Questyle CMA Twelve headphone amp and the Monoprice AMT headphone also paired with the Twelve. The Monoprice AMT can actually be driven easily from a great variety of headphone amplifiers and still perform extremely well. Even an inexpensive $100 amp like Schiit Magni 3plus or JDS Labs Atom will drive them with excellent results.
All of my opinions are based on equalizing headphones using HeSuVi on PC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back