Monolith M1570 Over Ear Open Back Balanced Planar Headphones
Jun 24, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #271 of 1,015
What do you find is the biggest difference with the velour pads?
I actually only listened to the Monolith M1570 with leather pads on the first day that I got them. On that brief comparison, I prefered the sound of the velour pads and have been using them ever since. I will likely revisit the leather pads as I purchased a second pair of Monolith M1570 to keep leather pads on for comparisons. I don't have the spare time right now to open up the box and set them up as I have a huge headphone review to write up this month on some Grado headphones. Who knows? I might end up liking the leather pads better.

Jun 24, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #272 of 1,015
What do you find is the biggest difference with the velour pads?

I‘ve used both extensively

The leather pads seem to give better soundstage, probably because they’re angled, and have superior bass presence. Unfortunately they also introduce a dip in the upper and mid midrange (not as bad as the LCD-X, but it’s there) which makes EQ an absolute must for them for me.

The velours are better for comfort IMO, and have more presence in the midrange as well as smoother treble, but they do reduce quite a bit of the bass presence and slam you get with the leather.

Jun 24, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #273 of 1,015
I‘ve used both extensively

The leather pads seem to give better soundstage, probably because they’re angled, and have superior bass presence. Unfortunately they also introduce a dip in the upper and mid midrange (not as bad as the LCD-X, but it’s there) which makes EQ an absolute must for them for me.

The velours are better for comfort IMO, and have more presence in the midrange as well as smoother treble, but they do reduce quite a bit of the bass presence and slam you get with the leather.
Aren't they an even sloppier fit with the thin pads? I Tied mine together last night for a more snug fit. I will likely try the skinnies on the weekend.

Jun 24, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #274 of 1,015
Aren't they an even sloppier fit with the thin pads? I Tied mine together last night for a more snug fit. I will likely try the skinnies on the weekend.
The velour pads aren’t as thick, so the fit is a bit looser, but I like the overall lack of clamp with both pads on the M1570s. When I‘m using them I’m always just sitting back in my recliner so it’s not like my head is moving around.

Jun 25, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #275 of 1,015
The velour pads aren’t as thick, so the fit is a bit looser, but I like the overall lack of clamp with both pads on the M1570s. When I‘m using them I’m always just sitting back in my recliner so it’s not like my head is moving around.
I thought the same thing the first day and then I put my head back against the head cushion to relax/snooze. And my headphone slid back and only stopped when they hit the cushion. :ksc75smile:

Jun 26, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #276 of 1,015
I am using the furry pads today. First off, it really is a pain to change pads.

The furry's do cost you bass and I haven't noticed an overall improvement in mids. I will continue with these for today and maybe even tomorrow. They sound fine, but the bass is less.

But I will definitely be going back to the vinyl/pleather.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #277 of 1,015
I made new DIY custom yokes today. My Audeze and the Monoprice M1570 are best buddies now.
diy custom yokes.jpeg

Jul 16, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #278 of 1,015
I used a large pvc pipe fitting to guide the bending process of the aluminum bars. The 45 degree angle of the yokes was achieved by Dremeling two slots and then bending them with wrenches.
tube for guiding bends.jpeg

tube inside.jpeg

wrenches to bend.jpeg

yoke bends.jpeg

Jul 16, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #279 of 1,015
I used a large pvc pipe fitting to guide the bending process of the aluminum bars. The 45 degree angle of the yokes was achieved by Dremeling two slots and then bending them with wrenches.
tube for guiding bends.jpeg

tube inside.jpeg
wrenches to bend.jpeg

yoke bends.jpeg
Looks great! Nice tutorial!

Jul 26, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #281 of 1,015
Just got word today that my Hart Audio cable has left the shop. I am curious to hear these 'phones out of my Liquid Platinum.
Even more so balanced out of my Pro iCAN. Not that they need the extra power, just curious.
Hart Audio Cables make it so easy to use a variety of amps and headphones.

Jul 26, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #282 of 1,015
Just got word today that my Hart Audio cable has left the shop. I am curious to hear these 'phones out of my Liquid Platinum.
Even more so balanced out of my Pro iCAN. Not that they need the extra power, just curious.
Hart Audio Cables make it so easy to use a variety of amps and headphones.
My three Ray Samuels amps, my two Headamp amps and all of my tube amps are all single ended output only and yet each of these amps sound amazing when paired with the right headphone. So these amps have been designed to perform well out of the TRS 1/4 headphone jack. Amps that have both balanced output and single ended are usually designed with more power output on balanced output over single ended. Otherwise buyers of those amps would be going on forums complaining that the single ended output being better and justification of charging more for extra circuitry would be illogical. So, of course amp designers make certain that the balanced output is either the same or more powerful. So, my guess is that it will sound better out of the balanced output of the Liquid Platinum. I have not listened with the Liquid Platinum yet but I have read much praise on how well it performs.
Each of my headphones sounds different and performs best with different amplifiers. My two overall best performing amps with the Monoprice M1570 are the Ray Samuels XP-7$700 and the Singxer SA-1 $540. As stated earlier, the Ray Samuels is single ended output only. Singxer SA-1 balanced XLR output performs much better than Singxer SA-1 single ended output.
I do want to make it clear that even though I have found my best two performing amps, the quality of sound out of other similarly priced amps is still VERY good and not a huge leap in performance with the Monoprice M1570. On top of this, there are different preferences of what sounds good to each person. So, I would NOT condone anyone to make a SIDE-GRADE to one of my amps if they already have something in the same league such as a Schiit Jotunheim which also performs admirably with the Monoprice M1570 and may even sound better with some music. I A/B test my amplifiers side by side and can hear my subjective preferences. However, if I were to listen to either one and switch to the other the next day, I would not hear a major difference and the enjoyment from the music would be identical from such close performing amplifiers when paired with the Monoprice M1570.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #283 of 1,015
Mine are not because I chose M1570 over LCD-X :wink: Great yokes BTW.

The Monoprice M1570 sounds better than the Audeze LCD-X.
Thank you!

Jul 26, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #284 of 1,015
My three Ray Samuels amps, my two Headamp amps and all of my tube amps are all single ended output only and yet each of these amps sound amazing when paired with the right headphone. So these amps have been designed to perform well out of the TRS 1/4 headphone jack. Amps that have both balanced output and single ended are usually designed with more power output on balanced output over single ended. Otherwise buyers of those amps would be going on forums complaining that the single ended output being better and justification of charging more for extra circuitry would be illogical. So, of course amp designers make certain that the balanced output is either the same or more powerful. So, my guess is that it will sound better out of the balanced output of the Liquid Platinum. I have not listened with the Liquid Platinum yet but I have read much praise on how well it performs.
Each of my headphones sounds different and performs best with different amplifiers. My two overall best performing amps with the Monoprice M1570 are the Ray Samuels XP-7$700 and the Singxer SA-1 $540. As stated earlier, the Ray Samuels is single ended output only. Singxer SA-1 balanced XLR output performs much better than Singxer SA-1 single ended output.
I do want to make it clear that even though I have found my best two performing amps, the quality of sound out of other similarly priced amps is still VERY good and not a huge leap in performance with the Monoprice M1570. On top of this, there are different preferences of what sounds good to each person. So, I would NOT condone anyone to make a SIDE-GRADE to one of my amps if they already have something in the same league such as a Schiit Jotunheim which also performs admirably with the Monoprice M1570 and may even sound better with some music. I A/B test my amplifiers side by side and can hear my subjective preferences. However, if I were to listen to either one and switch to the other the next day, I would not hear a major difference and the enjoyment from the music would be identical from such close performing amplifiers when paired with the Monoprice M1570.
It is nice to have a range of amps. I only mention balanced as with the LP it is the recommended way to use it, by the designer. He didn't even want an SE out, but was forced to put it in.

I have a pretty broad range of amps. My Little Dot MKIII is surprisingly fun for a cheapie that I bought used. SE output only.

I really like my Violectric V220 and it has two SE outputs.

The amp that really makes my 1570's sing is the iFi Pro iCAN with 3D and X-bass enabled. Have only been using it SE and don't expect much change with the XLR.

I like having the option for the amps that can use it.20210721_181859.jpg

Jul 26, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #285 of 1,015
The Monoprice M1570 sounds better than the Audeze LCD-X.
Thank you!
They are certainly a lot more interesting than the LCD-2 Classic's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back