Monolith M1570 Over Ear Open Back Balanced Planar Headphones
Jun 15, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #256 of 1,015
Interesting to know. I have been curious about these, but was very disappointed with the M570's. I recently picked up a used iFo Pro iCAN and it can have massive improvements with certain headphones. I will keep an eye out for a used pair or a super sale.
They are terrible headphones from a ergonomics perspective, but they sound really good, especially with 3d and bass boost

Jun 15, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #257 of 1,015
It's super easy. I can take some pictures walking through the whole process this evening.
Here are the instructions with pictures below:
  1. Remove Pad from Pad Ring / Fazor.
  2. Remove Pad Ring/Fazor retention screws.
  3. Remove Driver retention screws.
  4. Remove Driver from cup housing by flipping over cup housing with hand gripped on the driver side and shake slightly.
    • The Driver will slide out into your palm.
  5. Remove Yoke Pin retention pins from each side of the cup housing.
    • The pin is actually a threaded headless screw.
    • Some can be pulled out with some tweezers, but some might actually be screwed in.
    • Use a 0.9 Hex head to remove if necessary.
  6. Pull yoke arm away from cup housing to remove retention pin, then remove retention pin & protective rubber washer from yoke for each side of the yoke arm.
  7. Repeat steps 1-6 for the other cup housing.
  8. Repeat steps 1-7 in reverse order to install new headband.
    • May need to widen the retention pin hole on the yoke arm of the new headband.
    • I used a 3/16? drill bit to widen the hole so the retention pin just barely fit.
HeadbandReplacement_01.jpg

HeadbandReplacement_02.jpg
HeadbandReplacement_03.jpg
HeadbandReplacement_04.jpg
HeadbandReplacement_05.jpg
HeadbandReplacement_06.jpg
HeadbandReplacement_07.jpg
HeadbandReplacement_08.jpg
HeadbandReplacement_09.jpg

Last picture is to show how easy it would be to get to the leads for the Mini-XLR jack to switch the pinout to the "standard" Audeze/ZMF pinout.
I'll probably be doing that at a later date

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #258 of 1,015
They are terrible headphones from a ergonomics perspective, but they sound really good, especially with 3d and bass boost
Swapping out the headband does wonders for the ergonomics.

Jun 15, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #259 of 1,015
Here are the instructions with pictures below:
  1. Remove Pad from Pad Ring / Fazor.
  2. Remove Pad Ring/Fazor retention screws.
  3. Remove Driver retention screws.
  4. Remove Driver from cup housingby flipping over cup housing with hand gripped on the driver side and shake slightly.
    • The Driver will slide out into your palm.
  5. Remove Yoke Pin retention pins from each side of the cup housing.
    • The pin is actually a threaded headless screw.
    • Some can be pulled out with some tweezers, but some might actually be screwed in.
    • Use a 0.9 Hex head to remove if necessary.
  6. Pull yoke arm away from cup housing to remove retention pin, then remove retention pin & protective rubber washer from yoke for each side of the yoke arm.
  7. Repeat steps 1-6 for the other cup housing.
  8. Repeat steps 1-7 in reverse orderto install new headband.
    • May need to widen the retention pin hole on the yoke arm of the new headband.
    • I used a 3/16? drill bit to widen the hole so the retention pin just barely fit.
HeadbandReplacement_01.jpg
HeadbandReplacement_02.jpgHeadbandReplacement_03.jpgHeadbandReplacement_04.jpgHeadbandReplacement_05.jpgHeadbandReplacement_06.jpgHeadbandReplacement_07.jpgHeadbandReplacement_08.jpgHeadbandReplacement_09.jpg

Last picture is to show how easy it would be to get to the leads for the Mini-XLR jack to switch the pinout to the "standard" Audeze/ZMF pinout.
I'll probably be doing that at a later date
These pics and directions are awesome!
THANK YOU jotaku!!!

Jun 15, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #260 of 1,015
Has anyone done any experimenting with the felt on the pad side and the foam on the grill side?
What happens to the sound when they are removed or replaced with something else?
Has anyone tried 3rd party pads?

If not I can do some pad swapping this week and report back. I've got ZMF Oval Protein & Suede, Dan Clark Audio Alpha Pads, Brainwavz XL pads, & Dekoni Microsuedes.

It might take me a while to report back though. My T60RP Argons just came yesterday so I'm currently riding that high.

Jun 15, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #261 of 1,015
Has anyone done any experimenting with the felt on the pad side and the foam on the grill side?
What happens to the sound when they are removed or replaced with something else?

If not I can do some pad swapping this week and report back. I've got ZMF Oval Protein & Suede, Dan Clark Audio Alpha Pads, Brainwavz XL pads, & Dekoni Microsuedes.

It might take me a while to report back though. My T60RP Argons just came yesterday so I'm currently riding that high.
Are you writing about your T60RP Argons on that thread? Mine are supposed to be ready soon.

Jun 15, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #262 of 1,015
Are you writing about your T60RP Argons on that thread? Mine are supposed to be ready soon.
I will when I've gotten enough time on them. I'll be doing a comparison with the T50RP Argon Mk III as well.

Jun 15, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #263 of 1,015
Thanks to jotaku I had great directions to start the swap. Thanks again!
7758C093-2DB7-4679-AFC7-677FE5B5C9D8.jpeg

I had only one of these tiny threaded pins when taking mine apart and then I lost it since it was so small.
Then, I looked for it with a large super strong magnet that did not find it, they are not very magnetic.
I searched for about half an hour and was able to find it.
Then, got back to work and found another one that must have rolled out!
Now I have two threaded pins, so good thing I lost one momentarily.
I must have dropped it when taking the headphones apart.
Be very careful when you take your pair apart as these might just drop out easily to be lost forever.
F1B60E55-4A1D-492A-8F49-A9C9797EAE9E.jpeg

One of the wires pulled away from the driver, so be careful to support your driver on top of something to alleviate pull.
A98756FE-AFA1-4C57-A777-A2D949D14B0A.jpeg
A quick strip of the wire tip and tap with the soldering iron put it back into place.
I tried to put them on the headband from my Hifiman HE-350 but the diameter of the cups were much too large to fit.
I ended up putting it all back together.
I will try again when I can find a good donor headphone in the future.

Jun 20, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #264 of 1,015
I hit the Buy button on these today.

I was very underwhelmed by the M570's, but I have much higher hopes for these.

Jun 22, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #265 of 1,015

Have you gotten around to any pad swapping?

Jun 23, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #266 of 1,015
I bought a set of M1570's on the weekend and I got them today.
Right out of the box, I am Very impressed! Of course my real opinion won't set in for another month, after a lot more hours.

But my initial reaction is Wow! Great bass and great mids. Treble is present, but not forward or overbearing.

The first pairing is pretty much perfect. It is hooked up to an iFi Pro iCAN. The X-bass is maxed out at 40Hz. The 3D is maxed out at 90/60+. The gain set on mid and the sound is set on tube. Volume is sliding between 9:30 and 10:30, depending on the music. It is killing it with my test list. The bass is booming, when called upon and the vocals are sounding great, both male and female.

These are definitely miles ahead of the M570's, but I have always believed you get what you pay for. To a certain extent. :grin:

Right off the bat, these sound a lot more fun than the LCD-2 Classic's. So far, great headphone for a very nice price.
20210623_174210_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 2:09 PM Post #267 of 1,015
I bought a set of M1570's on the weekend and I got them today.
Right out of the box, I am Very impressed! Of course my real opinion won't set in for another month, after a lot more hours.

But my initial reaction is Wow! Great bass and great mids. Treble is present, but not forward or overbearing.

The first pairing is pretty much perfect. It is hooked up to an iFi Pro iCAN. The X-bass is maxed out at 40Hz. The 3D is maxed out at 90/60+. The gain set on mid and the sound is set on tube. Volume is sliding between 9:30 and 10:30, depending on the music. It is killing it with my test list. The bass is booming, when called upon and the vocals are sounding great, both male and female.

These are definitely miles ahead of the M570's, but I have always believed you get what you pay for. To a certain extent. :grin:

Right off the bat, these sound a lot more fun than the LCD-2 Classic's. So far, great headphone for a very nice price.
Congratulations on getting your Monolith M1570.
So far I am liking them better than my Audeze LCD-X and my Hifiman Ananda.

Jun 24, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #268 of 1,015
Congratulations on getting your Monolith M1570.
So far I am liking them better than my Audeze LCD-X and my Hifiman Ananda.
Thank you.

I got rid of my LCD-2 Classic's and these sound much better to me. I haven't done a head to head yet, but I feel like these are going to be better than my Edition XX's.

I love them on my newest amp, the Pro iCAN. Today I have been really enjoying them on my cheapest amp, the Little Dot MKIII. The chain today is:
Laptop to Bifrost 2 to Loki EQ to RCA switchbox to LD MKIII.

The output from the LD MKIII is not as open or bassy as the Pro iCAN (with all the extra features cranked to max), but considering the difference in price, it is very impressive. This little tube amp has punched above its weight since I got it.

These headphones are impressing me.

Jun 24, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #269 of 1,015
Thank you.

I got rid of my LCD-2 Classic's and these sound much better to me. I haven't done a head to head yet, but I feel like these are going to be better than my Edition XX's.

I love them on my newest amp, the Pro iCAN. Today I have been really enjoying them on my cheapest amp, the Little Dot MKIII. The chain today is:
Laptop to Bifrost 2 to Loki EQ to RCA switchbox to LD MKIII.

The output from the LD MKIII is not as open or bassy as the Pro iCAN (with all the extra features cranked to max), but considering the difference in price, it is very impressive. This little tube amp has punched above its weight since I got it.

These headphones are impressing me.
So far, this is my order of favorite solid state amps to pair with the Monolith M1570 velvet pads $450:
  1. SINGXER SA-1 $540 Great imaging, deep ambient sound stage GRADE A
  2. RSA EMMELINE XP-7 $700 Intimate sound stage, Grado-like vocal presence Smooth tonality Clarity GRADE A
  3. HEADAMP GILMORE LITE MK2 $800 Serious balls, but smooths out focussed vocals to sound like a background singer
  4. HEADAMP GILMORE LITE (discontinued)
  5. SCHIIT JOTUNHEIM $300 glare
  6. RSA EMMELINE HR-2 $900
I too own the Little Dot MKIII but I have not thought to try it out. I usually don't connect my planar headphones to my tube amps as I have usually been disappointed except for my hybrid tube amps. I will have to give my tube amps a try with the Monolith M1570 sometime.

Jun 24, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #270 of 1,015
So far, this is my order of favorite solid state amps to pair with the Monolith M1570 velvet pads $450:
  1. SINGXER SA-1 $540 Great imaging, deep ambient sound stage GRADE A
  2. RSA EMMELINE XP-7 $700 Intimate sound stage, Grado-like vocal presence Smooth tonality Clarity GRADE A
  3. HEADAMP GILMORE LITE MK2 $800 Serious balls, but smooths out focussed vocals to sound like a background singer
  4. HEADAMP GILMORE LITE (discontinued)
  5. SCHIIT JOTUNHEIM $300 glare
  6. RSA EMMELINE HR-2 $900
I too own the Little Dot MKIII but I have not thought to try it out. I usually don't connect my planar headphones to my tube amps as I have usually been disappointed except for my hybrid tube amps. I will have to give my tube amps a try with the Monolith M1570 sometime.
What do you find is the biggest difference with the velour pads?

1) My Pro iCAN is kickin' with these.

2) The LD MKIII performance was quite a surprise.

3) The Liquid Platinum really can't be counted yet, as I don't yet have an XLR cable. If I keep loving these for a few weeks, I will hit the Buy button on Hart Audio. I LOVE my Hart Audio Cable system.

Last one has been a surprise to me. I LOVE my Violectric V220 with almost everything. But it is underwhelming with these guys. I switched from straight XLR to SE via the Schiit Loki and neither version moved me.
I have had this problem with a few other 'phones (the Sundara's and the Elex's), both of which sounded Great on my Liquid Platinum.

I tied up my headphones last night and the clamp is much better today. :L3000:

The weight doesn't bother me on my head, but I find them heavy to pick up?
Getting older and weaker by the day.:smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back