Monolith M1570 Over Ear Open Back Balanced Planar Headphones
Sep 1, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #841 of 1,003
Correct, I run $500 HifiMan HE6se V2 on a $600 Rebel Audio RebelAmp. The HE6se V2 sounds EQUALLY AS GOOD on my $600 RebelAmp as it does on my $2,000 Headamp GS-X Mini. Mind blown. There is some synergistic magic going on inside the RebelAmp when paired with the He6se V2. Boggles my mind how good those two pair together considering how powerful the GS-X Mini can be.
The other headphones that were an upgrade from the Monoprice M1570 headphones are the ZMF Aeolus paired with Questyle CMA Twelve headphone amp and the Monoprice AMT headphone also paired with the Twelve. The Monoprice AMT can actually be driven easily from a great variety of headphone amplifiers and still perform extremely well. Even an inexpensive $100 amp like Schiit Magni 3plus or JDS Labs Atom will drive them with excellent results.
All of my opinions are based on equalizing headphones using HeSuVi on PC.
So you are saying the AMT is a worthwhile upgrade? What aspects improve?

Sep 1, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #842 of 1,003
So you are saying the AMT is a worthwhile upgrade? What aspects improve?
I think that many will not enjoy the Monoprice AMT. To begin with, some things are lacking in the AMT. Dynamic punch is not there like it is in my HE6se V2. Heightened articulation that one associates with HifiMan headphones is also not there in the AMT. These poor characteristics were a huge put off when I first put them on my ears.
However, I have grown to enjoy the completely novel alien presentation of the AMT that is so different to every headphone that I have ever heard. It is very not headphone like. Not speaker like. Just not the typical stuck in my head sound common to most headphones. The AMT does not require a special pairing of amplifier to create an ideal open soundstage that I love, because the stage of the AMT is a different type of openness.
While the Monoprice AMT will likely not be a worthwhile upgrade to many. I am enjoying it very much. Perhaps this novelty may fade. Perhaps it is a keeper that I shall reach for when I need a break from typical headphones. It most certainly cannot replace my other headphones due to the aforementioned shortcomings. Ultimately they serve me well as a vacation from regular headphones.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #843 of 1,003
Hi - lots of great information here on the M1570s I just received this past week. I registered as a member to post here that the M1570's are still on sale for less than $400US (382.00 actually) together with the site discount this weekend - for anyone who is very price sensitive and is looking for a nice dip on the cost - I was, so...

Oct 2, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #844 of 1,003
I would like to soft-mod a little bit my M1570, i removed the foam between driver and pads with scissors, now it sound less veiled and more exciting, more ideal to my ears.
I really would like to open the exterior, removing the foam, is that complicated? Do someone knows, hopefully i don't have to remove the driver to do it, i would like a slight improvement in soundstage.

Attachments

• 20221002_093659.jpg
    20221002_093659.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Oct 3, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #846 of 1,003
https://www.ebay.com/p/4039481117

M1570 on sale for $382.50 on Ebay / target.com
I've kind of been regretting selling mine in recent months. I feel like giving them another shot. Problem is, I think the main reason the M1570 didn't click with me the first time is because of it possibly not pairing well with my two main amps, the Monoprice Liquid Platinum* and Singxer SA-1, and those are still my two main amps, lol. I should probably wait until I've gotten something more neutral in my amp rack. I've got my eyes on a Schiit Jot and/or a RebelAmp. Once I finally get one or both of those, I should pull the trigger on another M1570 and see if I appreciate it better the second time.

*I should clarify that the LP is a brilliant amp for planars without a doubt, I've just learned about myself that I don't particularly care for the planars-on-tubes sound. Totally just a personal preference thing, not any flaw inherent to the gear itself

Oct 3, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #847 of 1,003
I'm now using my M1570 with the Fiio BTR7 + Oratory's EQ and it sounds CLEAN. A good combo imo.

Oct 3, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #848 of 1,003
I think the main reason the M1570 didn't click with me the first time is because of it possibly not pairing well with my two main amps, the Monoprice Liquid Platinum* and Singxer SA-1, and those are still my two main amps, lol.
Of my amplifiers, the following pair extremely well with the Monoprice M1570; Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline HR-2, Questyle CMA Twelve, Rebel Audio RebelAmp, Headamp GS-X Mini, SINGXER SA-1, Schiit Jotunheim 2.
(edit: added Schiit Jotunheim 2)

edit: (I could not find on my notes how well the Schiit Jotunheim 2 pairs with M1570. It only stated Jotunheim 1 had glare. I tested it out and it pairs well)

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #849 of 1,003
Of my amplifiers, the following pair extremely well with the Monoprice M1570; Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline HR-2, Questyle CMA Twelve, Rebel Audio RebelAmp, Headamp GS-X Mini, SINGXER SA-1.

edit: (I could not find on my notes how well the Schiit Jotunheim 2 pairs with M1570. It only stated Jotunheim 1 had glare. I will have to test this out to update my notes)
Hmm. I wasn't too keen on it with my SA-1. A part of me is thinking that I just didn't find good amp synergy, and another part of me is thinking that I'll remember why I sold my first M1570 the instant I give my second one a try, lol. Same reason I've owned three Beyer DT770s in my life. "Oh man, why did I get rid of that headphone?" And then shortly after getting another one, "Oh yeah..."

I'm also curious about the SMSL SH-9 amp. I'm wary to try any THX amps because everybody I've seen that has similar tastes to mine dislikes them, but if I was going to try a THX amp, and I suppose I should sometime, I think the SH-9 would be the one I try. And there might be some synergy there. And it's the cheapest of the three amps I'm considering (RebelAmp, Jot2, SH-9) by half. So the temptation is strong.

Either way, the RebelAmp is my next headphone-related purchase, that's already certain. Maybe early next year.

Oct 3, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #850 of 1,003
(I could not find on my notes how well the Schiit Jotunheim 2 pairs with M1570. It only stated Jotunheim 1 had glare. I will have to test this out to update my notes)
Hmm. I wasn't too keen on it with my SA-1. A part of me is thinking that I just didn't find good amp synergy, and another part of me is thinking that I'll remember why I sold my first M1570 the instant I give my second one a try, lol. Same reason I've owned three Beyer DT770s in my life. "Oh man, why did I get rid of that headphone?" And then shortly after getting another one, "Oh yeah..."

I'm also curious about the SMSL SH-9 amp. I'm wary to try any THX amps because everybody I've seen that has similar tastes to mine dislikes them, but if I was going to try a THX amp, and I suppose I should sometime, I think the SH-9 would be the one I try. And there might be some synergy there. And it's the cheapest of the three amps I'm considering (RebelAmp, Jot2, SH-9) by half. So the temptation is strong.

Either way, the RebelAmp is my next headphone-related purchase, that's already certain. Maybe early next year.
Okay, I just plugged everything for a three track listen A/B comparisons

IMG_4643.jpg

The Schiit Jotunheim 2 is clear and dynamic like the Headamp GS-X mini, with that forward projection that is part of the Jotunheim trademark. No problems with that pairing and works well and I can add Jotunheim 2 to the list of good pairing amps.
Plugging in the Singxer SA-1, the deep ambient soundstage hits me hard in an A/B comparison with the Jotunheim 2. This makes me prefer the SA-1 over the Jotunheim 2 because I am a lover of soundstage. However, objectively the performance is still on par with the rest of the amplifiers that I suggested and would be a matter of tastes and moods of the individual at the time of listening.
Since you asked about THX, I plugged in one of my THX amps the SMSL SP200. The soundstage collapsed to the center but the overall sound is still good because the Monoprice M1570 is an easy headphone to drive being a good sounding headphone from pretty much everything. Good sound for the price but it also lacks upper treble sparkle and clarity. If one already has this amp, they could be very happy with it. But, the SP200 is not on my recommended list for the M1570.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #851 of 1,003

I thought I had a bad synergy with my setup, until I tweaked the EQ settings, and revealed the impactful performance I was looking for. So it may not be an amp issue.

Oct 3, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #852 of 1,003
Monoprice M1570 is an easy headphone to drive
Yeah, honestly, this is the biggest appeal. I've got an HE6se V2 and I'm running it off the speaker taps from a 150WPC Onkyo receiver, so I'm definitely (over-)equipped to power them. And my memory is fuzzy on the M1570, but I feel like it's really not that far off from the HE6se V2, considering it's so much easier to drive. If it gets you, say, 90% of the performance of the HE6se V2 but does it from just about any amp, that tradeoff could easily be worth it.

I thought I had a bad synergy with my setup, until I tweaked the EQ settings, and revealed the impactful performance I was looking for. So it may not be an amp issue.
Yeah, I remember when I got mine, I probably did about 15 minutes without EQ, then grabbed Oratory's EQ and never looked back. Night and day, lol

Oct 4, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #853 of 1,003
Has anyone managed to find replacement earpads for this? Dekoni says the LCD pads work with the M1060 so would they work with the M1570? My current ones are fine but I'm trying to make the entire thing more comfortable for my head.

Oct 4, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #854 of 1,003
Has anyone managed to find replacement earpads for this? Dekoni says the LCD pads work with the M1060 so would they work with the M1570? My current ones are fine but I'm trying to make the entire thing more comfortable for my head.
I spoke with Dekoni about this, and the LCD pads have a lip on them, so you can slip those on.

Oct 31, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #855 of 1,003
Hi guys, to anyone who resoldered the pins to make it the standard layout, how tf did you undo the solder connecting pins 4 and 2? I can't get rid of the solder :/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back