Monolith M1570 Over Ear Open Back Balanced Planar Headphones
Oct 31, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #856 of 1,015
Hi guys, to anyone who resoldered the pins to make it the standard layout, how tf did you undo the solder connecting pins 4 and 2? I can't get rid of the solder :/
I cut off the end of the single ended Monoprice stock M1570 cable and soldered on a four pin XLR connector.

Oct 31, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #857 of 1,015
I cut off the end of the single ended Monoprice stock M1570 cable and soldered on a four pin XLR connector.
I'm rewiring the insides of the headphones, not the cable itself. Already made a cable that works with it but I want to rewire it to be the standard layout.

Oct 31, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #858 of 1,015
If I had to guess, the connectors are soldered using lead-free solder for international trade reasons, and lead-free solder requires much higher temps to melt.

Nov 8, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #859 of 1,015
Welp I messed up. Accidentally set my soldering iron too high and melted the plastic holding the pins in place. Off they go to a repair store to try and replace the mini xlr socket...

On the bright side, they're also gonna solder it to the Audeze pinout so I can now grab an LCD-GX mic cable and use it for calls and games :D
20221104_090802.jpg

Nov 16, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #861 of 1,015
Has anyone compared them to Austrian Audio Hi-X65?
They are two very different headphones with different tuning. M1570 has a more natural tuning, more natural and relaxed high end (both with velour and leather earpads) and ticker bass and low mids. Velour and leather pads give a different tuning themselves (see oratory measurements), but the full timbre of the M1570 is always recognizable. The Hi-X65 gives the impression of more detail, and it is true detail to some degree, but its 'cleanness' is also probably enhanced by a slightly subdued bass, that is very tight and never bleeds into mid-bass. Not that the M1570 bass bleeds into mid-bass, there is just a fuller and a little more resonating bass, well controlled overall.
In my opinion, M1570 has a better tuning than the Hi-X65. Both give their best with a bit of EQ, but M1570 is perfectly usable without. Both headphones have a very good representation of dynamics, and are high quality headphones.
I sold my Hi-X65 after buying Arya SE, that has the strenghts of the Austrian Audio with an overall better tuning (on the neutral-bright side).

Nov 17, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #862 of 1,015
@robertom thanks for your reply, maybe I'll order them and give a try, Monoprice offers 30 days for return IIRC. I've only heard M1060, 1060C and 1070. 1070 never impressed me enough to even consider buying it, it's always seemed recessed in treble region and overall too dark for my taste (I'm used to bright headphones - Sundara, HE400SE, Hi-X65 now). Was alright for jazz, funk, but not for symphonic music. Is this tonal balance improved in 1570?

Nov 17, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #863 of 1,015
@robertom thanks for your reply, maybe I'll order them and give a try, Monoprice offers 30 days for return IIRC. I've only heard M1060, 1060C and 1070. 1070 never impressed me enough to even consider buying it, it's always seemed recessed in treble region and overall too dark for my taste (I'm used to bright headphones - Sundara, HE400SE, Hi-X65 now). Was alright for jazz, funk, but not for symphonic music. Is this tonal balance improved in 1570?
They're $380 right now in the US and that's an absolute steal for the M1570. In my opinion they punch way above their weight in terms of price.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=39416

Nov 17, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #864 of 1,015

never heard the 1070, sorry, but someone on this forum who have heard both 1070 and 1570 said that the M1570 is less dark and overall a better headphone. Maybe someone who knows can chime in.

Nov 18, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #865 of 1,015
I have the M1070 and M1570, and the M1570 is worth the extra money getting. I find the M1070 a tad too L/R biased, lacking a full, deep circular audio stage. The M1570 is beautiful in this regard, and images very well in the sound space. Almost as spacious as my vaunted MDR-SA5000, which has some amazing width and depth.

Plus it helps that Oratory1990 has EQ profiles for the M1570 only, tho they do work on the M1070, but not perfect.

I've kept both as my M1070 are on hand should anything happen to my M1570 and need an RMA, plus it gives me a spare set of pads. :)

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #866 of 1,015
It's alive again! And better than ever! Got the Audeze yokes and headband on my M1570 after getting them back from repairs. It definitely feels more balanced over my head and less fatiguing. And good (but expensive!) mod for it :)

Attachments

• 16688696042527025236929568273323.jpg
    16688696042527025236929568273323.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Nov 24, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #867 of 1,015
Yesterday I went to a store to test them against my Hi-X65. Wasn't very impressed tbh - I liked them very much in jazz/funk only. They have amazing bass response (slightly worse than LCD-X) and soundstage, sweet midrange and weak treble. Detail retrieval and separation though are fine only when the track is not very busy - these cans were literally disastrous in classical music; I played two tracks and gave up, the sound was too meaty and echoing to keep up with pace of Beethoven's 4th finale, it was just a chaotic mess. To be fair, I had the same feeling about LCD-X, they were just slightly clearer than the M1570 in classical (Hi-X65 easily outperformed both in clarity and separation), but LCD-X impressed me very much in jazz and other, more fun genres, with their amazing deep, rich tone and fantastic bass. I'm aware of the price difference and I kind of appreciate, how close M1570 can get to the LCD-X for a fraction of the price, but to me it seemed like a somewhat bland copy of the Audeze. In certain genres M1570 are very likeable and relaxing for sure, but I've seen claims that they are miles ahead of HE400SE/Sundara, and when it comes to busy classical music, it's simply not true.
That being said, I think I would be happy with them, if they costed as much as discounted M1070, but their current price (~€380) is way too much for a secondary pair for me. I might give them another try if I can run EQ in a store.

Nov 25, 2022 at 5:16 AM Post #868 of 1,015
Yesterday I went to a store to test them against my Hi-X65. Wasn't very impressed tbh - I liked them very much in jazz/funk only. They have amazing bass response (slightly worse than LCD-X) and soundstage, sweet midrange and weak treble. Detail retrieval and separation though are fine only when the track is not very busy - these cans were literally disastrous in classical music; I played two tracks and gave up, the sound was too meaty and echoing to keep up with pace of Beethoven's 4th finale, it was just a chaotic mess. To be fair, I had the same feeling about LCD-X, they were just slightly clearer than the M1570 in classical (Hi-X65 easily outperformed both in clarity and separation), but LCD-X impressed me very much in jazz and other, more fun genres, with their amazing deep, rich tone and fantastic bass. I'm aware of the price difference and I kind of appreciate, how close M1570 can get to the LCD-X for a fraction of the price, but to me it seemed like a somewhat bland copy of the Audeze. In certain genres M1570 are very likeable and relaxing for sure, but I've seen claims that they are miles ahead of HE400SE/Sundara, and when it comes to busy classical music, it's simply not true.
That being said, I think I would be happy with them, if they costed as much as discounted M1070, but their current price (~€380) is way too much for a secondary pair for me. I might give them another try if I can run EQ in a store.
I just listened to Beethoven's Symphony #4 finale, and I cannot agree with your assessment with the M1570 being a chaotic mess. I was able to discern the multi-layering of the orchestra pieces just fine in the busy sections. I don't know what gear you were using, and source, but on my home setup, with my EQ and lossless source, it was a pleasure to listen to.

https://songwhip.com/berliner-philharmoniker-2/beethoven-symphonies-nos3-eroica-and-4 if anyone else wishes to listen

Nov 25, 2022 at 5:22 AM Post #869 of 1,015
Could you listen to this rendition? https://tidal.com/album/304754
I used SMSL M500 MKII headphone out. As soon as I have a spare moment I will go to the store and test it again with EQ, I assume it might change everything when it comes to Audeze and Monolith. I might even have two presets for classical and other stuff (in classical I prefer tight linear bass so I could reduce it to prevent bloat and reverb, in jazz it doesn't really make sense to take away the strongest asset of these cans).

Nov 25, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #870 of 1,015
Could you listen to this rendition? https://tidal.com/album/304754
I used SMSL M500 MKII headphone out. As soon as I have a spare moment I will go to the store and test it again with EQ, I assume it might change everything when it comes to Audeze and Monolith. I might even have two presets for classical and other stuff (in classical I prefer tight linear bass so I could reduce it to prevent bloat and reverb, in jazz it doesn't really make sense to take away the strongest asset of these cans).

The timbre of the M1570 with the leather pads is warm tilted, and a bit recessed in the ear gain zone. For your preferences you should try them with the velour pads. In both cases it's better to equalize the headphone, but the same is true for the Arya: I even prefer the M1570 to the Arya if both are left un-equalized.
EQ presets are useless in my opinion, you should eq each headphone differently, based on its frequency response curve. In case of the M1570 both the pads have in common a small peak at 1.3Khz that should be shelved down a bit, and they both benefit from a slight 2.3Khz lift; apart this, each pad requires a sligthly different EQ. But you have to use an equalizer with adjustable Q, otherwise is useless or harmful again. You can follow the curve on Oratory to find a good EQ for your tastes, but no way you can do this with a quick listen at a shop.
If you don't like M1570 without EQ, I doubt you will like it with EQ, it's just a minor refinement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back