Monolith M1570 Over Ear Open Back Balanced Planar Headphones
Nov 25, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #871 of 1,015
Could you listen to this rendition? https://tidal.com/album/304754
I used SMSL M500 MKII headphone out. As soon as I have a spare moment I will go to the store and test it again with EQ, I assume it might change everything when it comes to Audeze and Monolith. I might even have two presets for classical and other stuff (in classical I prefer tight linear bass so I could reduce it to prevent bloat and reverb, in jazz it doesn't really make sense to take away the strongest asset of these cans).
Use songwhip.com links, this way people can use whatever streaming service they have. :) I don't have Tidal, I use Amazon Music HD. Source is FLAC 24/96.

https://songwhip.com/nikolaus-harnoncourt/beethoven-symphonies-nos-4-and-7

I don't use Tidal / MQA because it's lossy and doesn't present the source faithfully, despite MQA's claims to the contrary.

And the presentation was not congested at all. It was quite lovely, actually. :)

Home Setup: Laptop with EQ APO applying Oratory1990 M1570 Leather Pads (tweaked for my age) > SMSL M300 MKII > FX Audio Tube-01 tube preamp > Schiit Asgard 3 amp

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 7:37 AM Post #872 of 1,015
@robertom I didn't meant preset like from a database, I eq each headphone based on measurements to neutral target.
@Chastity I wonder what were your previous headphones and what kind of sound do you prefer? I came from HE400SE to Sundara, now AA Hi-X65, so I'm used to bright-neutral headphones with emphasis rather on detail retrieval and separation than timbre. Perhaps it's all a matter of expectations and needs - in classical a fun factor to me is being able to hear every note with clear articulation. I actually played this symphony in 1st violin section (was even learning to conduct the 1st mov at classes) and still remember all of the notes and counterpoints, but on M1570 I just couldn't separate them, it was more of a general impression and phrase direction. That's such a pity, because they seemed to be very promising headphones besides and €383 is a rare deal.

Nov 25, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #873 of 1,015
Hello Head-fiers,

A couple of weeks ago I finally bought a pair of M1570's after having them under my radar for several months. I was very curious about their potential quality/price ratio so the Black Friday deals eventually made me purchase a pair on Monoprice.eu together with the balanced cable on Monoprice.com.
Well, to say that I was positively surprised would be an understatement. I decided to wait a bit before posting my impressions as I was afraid my comments would be biased by my initial optimism towards the M1570. No bias: these headphones just sound great to my ears. I perceive a very balanced overall tonality where no part of the audible range stands out against the others. The bass is "meaty", layered and impactful without "bleeding" into the mids, which are present with a vivid but lush character; treble is airy and extended, it never lacks clarity and at the same time has no glare, harshness, or sibilance - thus, no listening fatigue. Detail retrieval and trasparency might not reach the levels of Sennheiser's HD800S but this doesn't mean the M1570's are "veiled" headphones; every nuance in the music is there, but these are just more "relaxed" cans which do not throw details in your face. Soundstage features a good compromise between width and depth, again it might not compete with the HD800S but at this price point I would not ask for more. You just get good instrument separation and imaging, and I appreciate what I hear. Honestly speaking, I compared the M1570s with a pair of Hifiman HE6se (V1) and...by all means, I just prefer the Monolith.
I am listening to the M1570's through IFI Diablo/Violectric V281 using the stock leather (sheepskin?) pads. I can keep both amps at minimum gain and make these headphones very loud, so they are not hard to drive but they like some good power; therefore, it's better to have a decent amp to have fun with the M1570's. The build quality is solid with no frills. It is true that the weight might be an issue but - at least on my head - it feels very balanced and well distributed so I cannot complain. Yes, they look beefy and big!
Hope my comments will be useful to anyone interested.

Nov 25, 2022 at 6:32 PM Post #874 of 1,015
@robertom I didn't meant preset like from a database, I eq each headphone based on measurements to neutral target.
@Chastity I wonder what were your previous headphones and what kind of sound do you prefer? I came from HE400SE to Sundara, now AA Hi-X65, so I'm used to bright-neutral headphones with emphasis rather on detail retrieval and separation than timbre. Perhaps it's all a matter of expectations and needs - in classical a fun factor to me is being able to hear every note with clear articulation. I actually played this symphony in 1st violin section (was even learning to conduct the 1st mov at classes) and still remember all of the notes and counterpoints, but on M1570 I just couldn't separate them, it was more of a general impression and phrase direction. That's such a pity, because they seemed to be very promising headphones besides and €383 is a rare deal.
I too come from a background in music, having played the violin while in elementary school, so yeah I understand about wanting to get that ideal reproduction to match your own experiences. A lot of it has to do with the mastering of the tracks, if the detail isn't there to retrieve, it never will be.

My headphone history: Sennheiser HD-580 Precisions (auditioned others of the series, too similar than different, so never bothered) > Sony MDR-SA5000 (my benchmark for other cans, designed for classical, jazz, female vocals) > Beyerdynamic DT-1990 (too much effort trying to get what I was looking for, and lacked subbass) > Monoprice M1070 (close but it could improve) > M1570 (finally, something both wide and intimate, with proper imaging, and very natural vocals with EQ)

Currently listening to that album you linked, while grinding a trapsin in Diablo II Resurrected. Symphony and zombie groans, bliss!

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #876 of 1,015
Did someone try some of the Round XL pads from Brainwavz (hybrid ,perforated, etc..) on the M1570? They are 110mm, so they should fit.
I havent but the website says it fits on the M1060 so should be fine for the M1570. They don't look as thick as the stock leather pads, dunno if that's gonna be a problem or not

Nov 30, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #877 of 1,015
Did someone try some of the Round XL pads from Brainwavz (hybrid ,perforated, etc..) on the M1570? They are 110mm, so they should fit.
I bought some Brainwavz pads for my DT-1990, and I could not care for the quality of the pads. The BW Hybrids were horrible, and the microfibers weren't great either. Never again with that company. Dekoni or gtfo.

Nov 30, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #878 of 1,015
I bought some Brainwavz pads for my DT-1990, and I could not care for the quality of the pads. The BW Hybrids were horrible, and the microfibers weren't great either. Never again with that company. Dekoni or gtfo.
Just to throw it out there: I was extremely happy with my Brainwaivz sheepskin pads that I used with the Arctis Wireless Pro, enough that I purchased a second pair to have on-hand. I also own some Dekoni leather pads for my WH1000XM4's which are my work headset and get daily use; I would say I've been equally pleased with them.

Dec 1, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #880 of 1,015
Budget LCD GX! :D
20221201_134026.jpg

Dec 1, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #881 of 1,015
Dec 7, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #884 of 1,015
The sale has been on for about 3 weeks now, I would say it's going to end sooner than later, Monoprice's store on Amazon.de only has 5 items left (it used to be over 15 four days ago). I just received mine today, as there is 30 days to return it for free I thought I might finally give it a proper try, since I'm not able to fully check every aspect of these cans in a store. For sure I have to take back many words I wrote on the previous page - high shelf filter really is a game changer. I will surely write a bit more on them in a few days - as for now, I like them very much. I still prefer Hi-X65 for classical, but it's nowhere as bad as without EQ. Unfortunately, M1570 interfere with my glasses a bit, breaking the perfect seal thus reducing bass slightly. I haven't decided on them yet, as Hi-X65 are incredible cans in their price range and above too, but I can certainly say that M1570 is a steal at current sale (383.99 euro) - definitely blows those crap overpriced headphones Sundaras are out of the water.

Dec 7, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #885 of 1,015
Hi, I'm new here. I'm very undecided between 1570 and HE6SE v2, I have a Lake People G111 MK2, which delivers more than 2 watts at 60 Ohms, so I think it can drive HE6s, I usually listen to jazz, acoustic, soft rock, and some classical . Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the two headphones and could give me some advice? Thank you!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back