Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Apr 26, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #783 of 1,409
It doesn't need to be that flat. Just scrape around the circle and try to get some loose plastic gunk out so that the screws will reach through. I should probably look into fixing that...eventually.

Also sorry for the missed messages, as I've been busy at uni recently. I sadly am still not able to provide printing services at this time.

Apr 26, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #784 of 1,409
I get that, but I don't understand how to orient the knife in a way that will shave off flat surface area from deep inside the screw holes?

The #11 blade (when mounted in the x acto knife handle) will present a triangular, 45 degree tip. Keep the straight edge perpendiculer to the screw hole and use the 45 degree edge of the blade to create your counter sync. By making even, clockwise turns.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #785 of 1,409
Still having no luck finding someone to 3D print a pair of the basic open back grills for the 1060C for me. I had a pair printed at the local public library, but there was too much excess material left in the sunken screw holes. As a result, the screws won't sink in far enough to make proper contact.

If someone knows a good source for printing these, or if you're willing to print a pair for me, please PM. I'm happy to pay reasonable costs of material, postage, etc.

I actually used an online printing service using the original files SomeTechNoob was kind enough to provide. I have to say the open performance has not been very impressive, especially when gaming. I'd have to go back and take some rather detailed notes, but I preferred the 1060 to an opened 1060C.

May 28, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #786 of 1,409
May 29, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #787 of 1,409
A YouTube reviewer by the name of, Joshua Valour, just dropped a review on open-back M1060C headphones using the grills that @DrSchnickistein created and mentioned in previous posts. Check out the video below and the link to his real carbon fiber grills below that if interested.

https://armattanproductions.com/pages/product_details/19493

*Make sure you set quantity to 2 if you order the grills. FYI, the order can take a bit to fulfill and can take a while to ship depending on your location.

May 30, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #788 of 1,409
For folks planning to purchase the grilles, make sure to order 2 to get a pair. These are sold per piece! lol I get asked that a lot recently

Last edited:
May 30, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #790 of 1,409
There are other grille designs there if it's not your cup of tea.

It's intentionally super open to minimize reflections as in the case of m1060. Design is always compromise. Some people are more than willing to forgo protection for better performance.

Personally, I cover my grilles with super thin thermolam for protection.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #791 of 1,409
Has anyone tried putting their M1060C on an Audeze headband using the Audeze yoke kit? Just wondering if the M1060C cups fit the Audeze yokes without the drilling and modding required as with the standard M1060?

Jun 10, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #792 of 1,409
Monoprice has the 1060c on sale for $260 today

Jun 11, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #793 of 1,409
Has anyone tried putting their M1060C on an Audeze headband using the Audeze yoke kit? Just wondering if the M1060C cups fit the Audeze yokes without the drilling and modding required as with the standard M1060?

I've looked into that pretty extensively as my head doesn't work very well with comfort straps, and I decided against the mod as I don't want to ruin them. Couldn't find/think of another way to go to a solid headband. Thought it better to list them so someone else could enjoy them.

Jun 14, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #794 of 1,409
hey gang! here are some new batch of grilles for the m1060C. this time they're "convertible" meaning you can quick detach the wood cups and turn it into an open can or semi open with the included spacers:wink:

mc7L9YO.png

well, it's still under approval but I'll post the kit as soon as possible :D

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #795 of 1,409
Ive done some research on replacing the foam damping while still keeping the sound pretty open the just from eyeballing it compared to some packing foam I have on hand, it looks like the ideal density for this application is between 30-40 PPI. Im thinking 35 PPI is ideal but I cant find it anywhere easily. I will buy some 40PPI foam(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078XTRVWS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1W7R5UJZCLN8X&psc=1) and report back on it. It looks like this type of foam is commonly used in fish tank cut to fit filters, but more often than not those are 30PPI instead of 40PPI or 35PPI.

Edit: It looks like 30PPI is known as speaker foam from foam manufacturers, so perhaps that density would be closer to ideal. I am ordering both 30 and 40PPI Foams and will update you guys later.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back