Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Mar 4, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #751 of 1,409
thanks brother, the headband is pretty decent quality. Better then I hoped it to be. I had to open the screw hole on the stock yokes from m2.5 to m3. Still need to get black locking nuts for and maybe some black nylon washers. Had to bend the tabs that over hang the yokes a little too for clearance. Not too much work

Just a heads up for people, for a couple bucks more you can buy a hifiman headband that will do the same thing and it ships quicker.

http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/original-headband.html

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019 at 11:34 PM Post #753 of 1,409
Mar 16, 2019 at 10:45 PM Post #757 of 1,409
I think I've got my m1060c set right where I want them, with one question for others that are using these opened back. What kind of material between the driver and grill have people tried?

I've got dekoni LCD velour pads, a couple dekoni nuggets on the headband and open back with 3d printed grills. The only thing left I'm thinking about is that material behind the driver. Anyone tried anything besides the stock material?

Mar 17, 2019 at 1:09 AM Post #758 of 1,409
I swapped mine out with the foam liner from my he4xx box. It’s a 1/4 inch sheet of foam kinda like the little circles are that come behind the driver. I cut them identical to stock felt

Mar 23, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #759 of 1,409
Recently got my RMA back from monoprice on my m1060(dropped and damaged a jack and they replaced no questsions asked, monoprice customer service bad!) and dunno if its just because its fresh but the headband looks the same, but isn't trying to fall over all the time(better assembly?), new stock cable with a straight plug instead of L but still microphonic unlike the 565c cable and sound leakage is way less than my old M1060c(R1, dark stained cups).

Apr 5, 2019 at 3:50 PM Post #760 of 1,409
Here's my take on the open back grills mod.

20190406_022805.jpg

Apr 7, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #763 of 1,409
Here's my take on the open back grills mod.

Through my experimentation, I'd say they're not opened enough. There's still too much sound reflection. Completely removing the grills on the other hand is too open if you asked me. Somewhere in between, like the honeycombed grills are best. Just a little bit of reflection is needed. That's my take.

Apr 7, 2019 at 7:09 AM Post #764 of 1,409
Through my experimentation, I'd say they're not opened enough. There's still too much sound reflection. Completely removing the grills on the other hand is too open if you asked me. Somewhere in between, like the honeycombed grills are best. Just a little bit of reflection is needed. That's my take.

Thanks for the inputs, but i did this mainly for the looks actually, and it does look sexy. I might design my own patterns though keeping the minimal surface area in mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back