Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Jul 9, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #558 of 1,409
Also a heads up, there's an Audeze LCD2C Closed back now.

It's double the price of the M1060C, but I'd love to see a comparison.

Jul 9, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #559 of 1,409
Also a heads up, there's an Audeze LCD2C Closed back now.

It's double the price of the M1060C, but I'd love to see a comparison.

Wait, what? They are making a closed back version of the Classic? That's surprising. I did a quick search for it on Google and I wasn't able to find anything. Do you have any info about it?

Jul 9, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #560 of 1,409
Jul 9, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #561 of 1,409

Interesting! I know that not many were big fans of the LCD-XC so it will be interesting to see how this is received. I really wonder if this is in direct response to Monoprice. I have my doubts that we would have an LCD-2 Classic, closed version of the Classic, or the iSINE LX if Monoprice wasn't putting on the pressure.

It's a great time to be an audiophile! :o2smile:

Jul 13, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #563 of 1,409
So I have read through this thread and am awaiting my M1060C's (should arrive tomorrow morning). I bought them off of a friend I served in the Marine Corps with back in the day. He wanted to try planars, but is beholden to his HD 650's...no surprise.

So I have an old Audeze headband that I plan on using with these, so I am very excited to swap them out.

As far as Pad Rolling goes, it appears that there is not a true consensus (no surprise). What I want to do is tame that peak in the mids at 1.7 kHz, but without losing bass extension or increasing the upper mid range/treble (sensitive to LARGE peaks in the 4-6 kHz region, smaller peaks I can handle very well). Just wondering if anybody that has pad rolled with the M1060C has any recommendations to help me achieve my goal?

I have a slew of pads as I had modded the M1060 Open, Fostex TR-80, and a few T50RP's, which was a ton a fun! The pads that I have are ZMF Eikon Leather, Audeze Leather, Audeze Pleather (new leather free pads), ZMF Ori Leather, ZMF Ori Microsuede, ZMF Oval Pleather, ZMF Oval Leather, ZMF Oval Cowhide, Mr Speakers Alpha Pads, Cascadia Audio Impact Pads, All of the Brainwavz Varieties, Dekoni Sheespkin Th-x00, Beyerdynamic DT 770 Velour.

Also, I should note that I will NOT be modding these into open backed...my Audeze LCD-2 are my open planars and they are magnificent (gotta love ebay, $400 steal for LCD-2 non fazor).

I appreciate any feedback. :)

Jul 17, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #564 of 1,409
I have been wanting a really "nice" pair of headphones for the office as 90% of my music listening is at my work office.

I don't have the money to spend £600+ on any of the end game stuff, so the 1060c seemed like the ideal in-between of something like a 598CS and the mid range closed Fostex stuff.

I'm in the UK so I've had to import from Amazon US, they are on sale for $282 , once you add on customs and shipping it's about £275.

On one hand I already have some buyer's remorse as £275 just seems like a LOT of money for something I'm leaving at work, but in the end I'm there 8 hours a day 5 days a week (this is me trying to convince myself I'm not an idiot! :p)

I have HD600 for home and I love them, but I don't listen to much at home anymore.

Now just the long wait for them to get here. I hope I will enjoy them.

Jul 20, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #565 of 1,409
I have been wanting a really "nice" pair of headphones for the office as 90% of my music listening is at my work office.

I don't have the money to spend £600+ on any of the end game stuff, so the 1060c seemed like the ideal in-between of something like a 598CS and the mid range closed Fostex stuff.

I'm in the UK so I've had to import from Amazon US, they are on sale for $282 , once you add on customs and shipping it's about £275.

On one hand I already have some buyer's remorse as £275 just seems like a LOT of money for something I'm leaving at work, but in the end I'm there 8 hours a day 5 days a week (this is me trying to convince myself I'm not an idiot! :p)

I have HD600 for home and I love them, but I don't listen to much at home anymore.

Now just the long wait for them to get here. I hope I will enjoy them.
I look hilariously ridiculous wearing the m1060c and would never wear them in the public.

I thought about wearing them on the office too since they're closed but my coworkers would mercilessly poke fun at how terrible I look in them

Jul 22, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #567 of 1,409
...my coworkers would mercilessly poke fun at how terrible I look in them

In that case it's fortunate that you won't hear them, nor care what they have to say. Why deny them their fun? The picture I use at work as my avatar is Lobot and I'm going to take my newly arrived modded M1060C to the office to join my Monoprice Modern Retro with Brainwavz XL pads seen here. First I have to stop listening to the Bladerunner 2049 score.

Headphone upgraditis is a costly disease and there is no known cure, but since you are here at the support group you are infected even if you've yet to show symptoms. It is perfectly rational to invest in the things which make the most difference to your life. Material things like your bed, chairs and clothes are the obvious ones, but if sound and music matters to you then audio gear - especially headphones for office work - is important to your quality of life. One of the main reasons I chose my car is that it has 5.1 surround sound and a DVD-Audio changer (which was the future back in 2005 and still sounds awesome). If you need to save a few quid then look at the used market. My M1060C was US$200 via r/AVexchange.

Jul 22, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #570 of 1,409
I look hilariously ridiculous wearing the m1060c and would never wear them in the public.

I thought about wearing them on the office too since they're closed but my coworkers would mercilessly poke fun at how terrible I look in them

Just do it, I got mine purely for office usage (where I do 95% of my listening).

That said, I look very cool when wearing my 1060Cs, which keeps me safe from ridicule.

Most of the eye rolling and "you wanker" head shaking is caused by the Vali 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back