Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Mar 9, 2018 at 1:08 AM Post #256 of 1,409
My Monoprice 8324 (not 8323) with shure 1540 alcantara earpads, still has more bass than these cans do. These sound better overall though. My bass kings for EDM are still my 8324's. Sad they never get any love, stock pads they suck, they also need a powerful amp.

Mar 9, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #257 of 1,409
Just got my replacement in.

So far the headphones seem okay. The 1/4" adapter they gave me is pretty potato compared to the previous one though, so definitely swap it out! It completely changed the sound signature depending on what kind of pressure was put on the jack.

Will report if anything issues pop up with this pair.

edit: This pair also smells a LOT less straight out of the box than my previous pair.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #258 of 1,409
My Monoprice 8324 (not 8323) with shure 1540 alcantara earpads, still has more bass than these cans do. These sound better overall though. My bass kings for EDM are still my 8324's. Sad they never get any love, stock pads they suck, they also need a powerful amp.

Did you try my mod? My 1060c is as good as D2000, DT770 and the monoprice modern retro for me right now as far as bass goes. I'll actually have a new modern retro to compare today.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #260 of 1,409
This is really a dilemma. I want to get either than m1060 or m1060c but I can’t figure out which one. Thing is I’ve never even heard planars. There aren’t any stores around here (Phoenix) that even have Audezes to demo. If I get the M1060C I may love it but always wonder if I’m missing a great deal of soundstage and separation. If I get the open M1060 I may love it but always wonder if I’m missing out on better bass or better overall sound because of the 5k ringing which I may or may not even hear. Some people who have heard both prefer the open, others closed.

Could owners of both give me an idea the strengths and weaknesses of each so I can have a better idea? The decision is stressing me out frankly and I keep going back and forth and changing my hand which to get.

I’m going to be pairing with a Magni 3

Mar 9, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #261 of 1,409
Did you try my mod? My 1060c is as good as D2000, DT770 and the monoprice modern retro for me right now as far as bass goes. I'll actually have a new modern retro to compare today.

the 8324's destroy everything in bass. they only cost $20 on Monoprice, give them a shot sometime, change earpads to anything other than stock. :p

Mar 9, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #262 of 1,409
This is really a dilemma. I want to get either than m1060 or m1060c but I can’t figure out which one. Thing is I’ve never even heard planars. There aren’t any stores around here (Phoenix) that even have Audezes to demo. If I get the M1060C I may love it but always wonder if I’m missing a great deal of soundstage and separation. If I get the open M1060 I may love it but always wonder if I’m missing out on better bass or better overall sound because of the 5k ringing which I may or may not even hear. Some people who have heard both prefer the open, others closed.

Could owners of both give me an idea the strengths and weaknesses of each so I can have a better idea? The decision is stressing me out frankly and I keep going back and forth and changing my hand which to get.

I’m going to be pairing with a Magni 3

Ok, since you are going back and forth over which to get, I can only assume that you don't need to worry about sound leakage. That leaves the sound of the two to be your only deciding factors. Personally, if I could only have one of them, I'd go with the M1060 open, but I do love my M1060c almost as much (especially after they stopped stinking like glue, lol). The M1060 takes EQ better, goes deeper into the sub bass, and has phenomenal sound stage. The M1060c's bass hits harder but when pushed a bit via EQ it can distort. The sound stage is good and highs are crisp but not too in your face. I'm going to keep both, but like I said, if I could only have one, it would be my M1060.

Mar 9, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #263 of 1,409
the 8324's destroy everything in bass. they only cost $20 on Monoprice, give them a shot sometime, change earpads to anything other than stock. :p

I'm hoping you meant that the 8324 destroy the headphones you'd previously mentioned in bass. Because if you meant everything as in all headphones, I've got a thread you need to read. Click HERE.

Mar 9, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #265 of 1,409
Ok, since you are going back and forth over which to get, I can only assume that you don't need to worry about sound leakage. That leaves the sound of the two to be your only deciding factors. Personally, if I could only have one of them, I'd go with the M1060 open, but I do love my M1060c almost as much (especially after they stopped stinking like glue, lol). The M1060 takes EQ better, goes deeper into the sub bass, and has phenomenal sound stage. The M1060c's bass hits harder but when pushed a bit via EQ it can distort. The sound stage is good and highs are crisp but not too in your face. I'm going to keep both, but like I said, if I could only have one, it would be my M1060.

Mine does not distort after my mod and is actually stronger, of course the eq brings out the best in it.

Mar 9, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #266 of 1,409
I'm hoping you meant that the 8324 destroy the headphones you'd previously mentioned in bass. Because if you meant everything as in all headphones, I've got a thread you need to read. Click HERE.

When I eq it I feel like someone is kicking my head.

Mar 9, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #267 of 1,409
Mine does not distort after my mod and is actually stronger, of course the eq brings out the best in it.

I'm not going to mod them right away, I'm going to spend time with them stock to find out everything I do and don't like.

When I eq it I feel like someone is kicking my head.

I'm glad they are able to hit harder than stock, but trust me, no matter what you do to either of the Monolith headphones, they won't touch the JVC HA-SZ2000 with Carbon Nanotube drivers. They sat on top of the Basshead list for the longest time, and sound like you've stuck your head into a sub enclosure with 2 12" subs in it. It's a level of ridiculous I've not been able to top.

Mar 9, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #268 of 1,409
I'm not going to mod them right away, I'm going to spend time with them stock to find out everything I do and don't like.

I'm glad they are able to hit harder than stock, but trust me, no matter what you do to either of the Monolith headphones, they won't touch the JVC HA-SZ2000 with Carbon Nanotube drivers. They sat on top of the Basshead list for the longest time, and sound like you've stuck your head into a sub enclosure with 2 12" subs in it. It's a level of ridiculous I've not been able to top.

The mod is in the thread a few pages back, it's pretty easy and it might be possible to make it better, I might totally remove the material covering the driver and try testing covering one vent at a time as I think they can be turned into bass ports. I removed the foam discs because I remember a th-x00 user who put a damping pad on the wood cup said it made it sound worse.

Oh the page was shaking a bit. :wink:

Mar 9, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #269 of 1,409

On every point, ditto. EQ'ing out the 1060C's peak at ~2Khz makes it a very close call. But I'd pick the opens for width of soundstage (but the closed have the best soundstage of any closed can I've tried).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back