Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Mar 9, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #286 of 1,409
Code PSPRING20 on ebay today for a discounted M1060C from Monoprice. Grab it now!

Applies everywhere on ebay, but only 1 use per account! So if you have any other goodies you've been eyeing, now's the time to get it.

I picked up two 144hz 1440p AHVA monitors which I've been eyeing for months... rip wallet.

Mar 9, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #288 of 1,409
Like others have said the PSPRING20 ebay code gets you 20% off. That makes the M1060c about $264 and the M1060 a about $214 since it's on sale today on top of the 20% off. Great deals for both. I personally picked up some open box ELAC B6 speakers for less than $200. I only wish eBay had any Emotiva Basx A-100 amps and that would have finished my desk setup.

Mar 9, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #289 of 1,409
mmm have a question, do you know if you can screw off the 560 headband and screw it on to the 1060c yoke?
Not that I can see. Two entirely different beasts

Mar 9, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #290 of 1,409
I'm hoping you meant that the 8324 destroy the headphones you'd previously mentioned in bass. Because if you meant everything as in all headphones, I've got a thread you need to read. Click HERE.

already tried that thread before, and the sv2000 bass canons. the MP 8324 (not 8323) with new earpads and a good amp have more bass than any can you have ever heard. maybe people should should just try it instead of not believing me.

Mar 9, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #291 of 1,409
Not that I can see. Two entirely different beasts

I was hoping undoing the screw would allow the other one on, I have ordered a leather lcd2/3 headband with yoke to see will it fit. Headband is worst bit.

Really liking these cans, only had them in work this week will give them a good bake this weekend.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #292 of 1,409
I’ve got some honey comb grills coming for my m1060c’s. I think these things can sound amazing open if done right. A little experimenting should be fun.

I’d recommend against that because when you open them up they sound incredibly dark which would be fine but they still sound very ringy so I couldn’t turn them up loudly so everything just sounded muted. I guess with some reflectors you could bump up the treble but at that point why not just buy an M1060 for cheaper?

Mar 10, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #293 of 1,409
I’d recommend against that because when you open them up they sound incredibly dark which would be fine but they still sound very ringy so I couldn’t turn them up loudly so everything just sounded muted. I guess with some reflectors you could bump up the treble but at that point why not just buy an M1060 for cheaper?

Yea I got these as a closed back, gonna get some materials and try fine tune that bass.

Mar 10, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #294 of 1,409
I could only afford one or the other at the moment and I have my m560 if I really need something open back. I love em closed but I like to mess with things to so why not experiment with a way to listen to them open.

Mar 10, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #295 of 1,409
Guys I've been thinking about posting some questions and observations here for a while now. Let me first say that I firmly believe: Your Money, Your Cans, do whatever makes you happy.

That being said, I just can't understand how I've seen post here from people who while waiting for their cans to arrive, having never even heard them, have all these plans to rip off the pads, change the backs from closed to open, change the filling in the cups etc... Even, in some cases, ordering the parts to do this before they've had the first listen. It seems most of the people Modding their Cans don't even give them a chance to burn in. Monoprice did a really good job with these. Give them a month to grow on you before you make a decision that will void your warranty and quite possibly make your new Cans sound worse instead of better. Just something to think about.

Now on to the touchy subject of EQ. I've read here that some are trying to increase the Bass response buy using the EQ to boost it. In doing so they say that the Headphone distorts. I own these and love Bass in my EDM music sessions. Subwoofer style Bass. These Cans do this without any distortion for me so it leads me to the question: Do they have a defective set, or possibly, have they just never been taught how to use EQ properly? If you start out Flat on an EQ and you want more Bass, most people would think you just raise the Bass Freq. to get the desired level you want. This almost always leads to Distortion and gets blamed on the Headphones/Speakers you are listening to. I learned many years ago that you never EQ up from flat. You EQ down. In other words if you want more Bass, don't increase Bass, lower Mids and Highs, then increase Volume to your desired listening level. This will reduce the Distortion you have heard 99% of the time. Please give this a try.

As an aside to the EQ question. Try not to think of it as EQing your Headphones because they are, in some way, defective. I EQ my music, not my Headphones. Most decent Headphones these days sound pretty good. Most music, thanks in no small part to the Loudness War, sounds like crap. The better your Headphones/Speakers the more obvious this becomes and sadly many times this is blamed on the playback device and not the recording itself. I'm sure if you take the time to think about it, there are songs that you love from your youth that just don't sound good on your better gear. I guess what I'm saying here is, don't blame your Cans for being too Bright when the song your playing was recorded with the levels pushed to the point of pain. Play with your EQ to get that poor recording under control. Your tunes, Your gear, Your rules. Rock On :)

Lasher

Mar 10, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #296 of 1,409
Guys I've been thinking about posting some questions and observations here for a while now. Let me first say that I firmly believe: Your Money, Your Cans, do whatever makes you happy.

That being said, I just can't understand how I've seen post here from people who while waiting for their cans to arrive, having never even heard them, have all these plans to rip off the pads, change the backs from closed to open, change the filling in the cups etc... Even, in some cases, ordering the parts to do this before they've had the first listen. It seems most of the people Modding their Cans don't even give them a chance to burn in. Monoprice did a really good job with these. Give them a month to grow on you before you make a decision that will void your warranty and quite possibly make your new Cans sound worse instead of better. Just something to think about.

Now on to the touchy subject of EQ. I've read here that some are trying to increase the Bass response buy using the EQ to boost it. In doing so they say that the Headphone distorts. I own these and love Bass in my EDM music sessions. Subwoofer style Bass. These Cans do this without any distortion for me so it leads me to the question: Do they have a defective set, or possibly, have they just never been taught how to use EQ properly? If you start out Flat on an EQ and you want more Bass, most people would think you just raise the Bass Freq. to get the desired level you want. This almost always leads to Distortion and gets blamed on the Headphones/Speakers you are listening to. I learned many years ago that you never EQ up from flat. You EQ down. In other words if you want more Bass, don't increase Bass, lower Mids and Highs, then increase Volume to your desired listening level. This will reduce the Distortion you have heard 99% of the time. Please give this a try.

As an aside to the EQ question. Try not to think of it as EQing your Headphones because they are, in some way, defective. I EQ my music, not my Headphones. Most decent Headphones these days sound pretty good. Most music, thanks in no small part to the Loudness War, sounds like crap. The better your Headphones/Speakers the more obvious this becomes and sadly many times this is blamed on the playback device and not the recording itself. I'm sure if you take the time to think about it, there are songs that you love from your youth that just don't sound good on your better gear. I guess what I'm saying here is, don't blame your Cans for being too Bright when the song your playing was recorded with the levels pushed to the point of pain. Play with your EQ to get that poor recording under control. Your tunes, Your gear, Your rules. Rock On :)

Lasher

Hi

Yea I was getting that distortion but I peeled back the material just a little 3/8 of an inch and I could put the eq sliders on max just as a test and it did not distort. Of course having it that high was silly but when you bring it back down to usuable levels to me the bass has more impact and volume as in you can feel the air moving.

I posted a few pages back and in the DIY section.

Would love someone else to try it and confirm I'm not going mad, I am sure it could be fine tuned more.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #297 of 1,409
Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #298 of 1,409
I've been running these balanced with the balanced cable that came with the HE560. I tend to reach for these more just because of the enhanced bass. I'm set for awhile.

Between the Adorama HE560 sale and the ebay 20% sale, I saved hundreds on these two close to TOTL headphones. I basically got both for less than I paid for the HE500 years ago.

Mar 10, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #299 of 1,409
I've been running these balanced with the balanced cable that came with the HE560. I tend to reach for these more just because of the enhanced bass. I'm set for awhile.

Could you compare the two? Almost bought the HE560s but decided to wait becauses of all the QC comments.

And do folks find the headband comfortable? It looks a bit huge, especially compared to Sennheiser/AKG (which are admittedly plastic headbands :)

Mar 10, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #300 of 1,409
Could you compare the two? Almost bought the HE560s but decided to wait becauses of all the QC comments.

And do folks find the headband comfortable? It looks a bit huge, especially compared to Sennheiser/AKG (which are admittedly plastic headbands :)

I like them so much, I am probably going to get an Audeze headband. The headband is it's biggest flaw imo but so damn good to listen to, everything feels alive, raw, imaging is superb and they fast (listening to metal whilst I type).

I am going to be tuning over the next few weeks to see what I can eek out of them. Like a big set of T50RP's!

I want to give proper burn in time too but so far so good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back