Monolith M1060C Closed Back Planar Headphones impressions
Mar 6, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #241 of 1,409
I might be fitting a headband from another set of high end cans, it will have plush leather and much better build quality but it is over $100. Is it worth swapping out in your opinion?

Mar 6, 2018 at 9:48 PM Post #242 of 1,409
I actually wouldnt mind doing the same. Im bald and kinda have an egg shaped head and they do put alittle bit of pressure on the top of my head.
Im really diggin the eikon suede pads so far, helped neutralize the sound.

Be careful when you remove the stock pads. The felt is glued to the back of the pads but just barely. The adhesive on the driver side wants to keep the felt there too so its can end up coming fully detached from both the pads and the cans. I have some really strong double sided tape that I used to re adhere it to the stock pads incase I ever need to put it back to stock.

Mar 7, 2018 at 3:21 AM Post #243 of 1,409
RMA finally shipped earlier today. Should arrive in two days! Can't wait to have my cans back.

Mar 7, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #245 of 1,409
So you can better appreciate how it sounds before you mod it?

I'll definitely give it a run stock, it appears to be decent according to the graphs with a small spike for vocals.

Mar 7, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #246 of 1,409
Well my M1060C arrived, left earcup has a clicking noise that doesn't go away, even when volume is turned up, I can drown it out and it sounds great after that...

Also, when I plug into my phone, only sound comes out of left ear for some reason, all my other headphones work fine... going back for a refund sadly. Really love the sound of it and the bass hit, but the quality control just... sigh... I sent my original 1060's back for a refund for too many issues as well. I think I just am going to save up and pay for something better quality/higher end with a better known brand, I really love monoprice for trying... but yeah even if I replaced and my replaced pair worked fine... I still would be worried all the time of it failing on me... just going to say screw it and refund it even though I got it for $263 :/ really sucks they sound amazing i just cant invest that much money into a can that has so many flaws on arrival

Mar 7, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #247 of 1,409
Well my M1060C arrived, left earcup has a clicking noise that doesn't go away, even when volume is turned up, I can drown it out and it sounds great after that...

Also, when I plug into my phone, only sound comes out of left ear for some reason, all my other headphones work fine... going back for a refund sadly. Really love the sound of it and the bass hit, but the quality control just... sigh... I sent my original 1060's back for a refund for too many issues as well. I think I just am going to save up and pay for something better quality/higher end with a better known brand, I really love monoprice for trying... but yeah even if I replaced and my replaced pair worked fine... I still would be worried all the time of it failing on me... just going to say screw it and refund it even though I got it for $263 :/ really sucks they sound amazing i just cant invest that much money into a can that has so many flaws on arrival
I understand your concern. I would like to wait to see if a revision of the M1060c with improvements is in the works since most headphone manufacturers are charging an insane premium for planars that I refuse to pay.

Mar 8, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #249 of 1,409
Just got mine!

Bass (Not as strong as I thought it would be) has nice slam and is not muddy. Mids are good and highs are not sibilant. Not at all fatiguing like the Denon AH-D2000 I had which had more bass but was kinda more muddy and had slightly harsh highs(to me).
I found loading up too much bass on the EQ caused crackling but once you got levels tuned you can put the volume up no problem. Really just experimenting now and it needs burn in time.

Earpads are actually very nice, not sure if I will change them.

Wood cups are great!

Weakpoint: The headband, it's maxed out for my head not sure who they were trying to fit this on. I might have to mod this somehow.

EDIT: Something weird just happened as I was writing this either the cans or DAC took a crap and every thing went fuzzy, rebooted the amp and it's now fine.(fingers crossed)

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #250 of 1,409
Just got mine!

Bass (Not as strong as I thought it would be) has nice slam and is not muddy. Mids are good and highs are not sibilant. Not at all fatiguing like the Denon AH-D2000 I had which had more bass but was kinda more muddy and had slightly harsh highs(to me).
I found loading up too much bass on the EQ caused crackling but once you got levels tuned you can put the volume up no problem. Really just experimenting now and it needs burn in time.

Earpads are actually very nice, not sure if I will change them.

Wood cups are great!

Weakpoint: The headband, it's maxed out for my head not sure who they were trying to fit this on. I might have to mod this somehow.

EDIT: Something weird just happened as I was writing this either the cans or DAC took a **** and every thing went fuzzy, rebooted the amp and it's now fine.(fingers crossed)

teh fact this even happens worries me for long term quality... which is why i am refunding mine, we all seem to be having "minor" issues. regardless... this is just too much money to throw up in the air for me, if it was like my ZMF Vibro MKII (i regret selling) i would never have to worry about a single thing going wrong. you pay for what you get = confirmed.

Mar 8, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #252 of 1,409
Can anyone comment on similarities/differences on the M1060c and Audio Technica a1000z?

I have both. The M1060Cs are by far the better set if cans to my ears. In comparison, the A1000zs are flat, narrow, and tinny. Imaging is MUCH better in the M1060Cs.

Oh, and the a1000zs feel like toys, they don't fit over my ears (pads too shallow), and the pads get sweaty. The only real advantage is that they are lighter, but they manage to be less comfortable nevertheless... And the aluminum cups dent easily (I found out the hard way).

Mar 8, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #253 of 1,409
I peeled back the material covering the driver a 1/4 inch up along one of the long sides the large pieces of material will keep it back, reversible just in case i want to rma.

Remove the two smaller pieces of foam.

I am finding it seems to have opened up a bit, tell me what you think.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #255 of 1,409
M1060C Soft Mod

1. Remove the two small pieces of foam pictured above the cup (leave them out).
2. Peel back the material covering the plate and leave 3/8 of an inch of the grill open down one side.
3. Secure with tape and place the large material disc back.
4. Crank bass on equalizer.
5. Play bass heavy music.
6. Sit back and grin.
Fully reversible for RMA.

6W38OD3.jpg

When I was increasing the low end on the equalizer it would crackle and lose it's poop. Now I can max the lower end frequencies out and it does not distort in any way and feels less congested.

It might be possible to fine tune this further, I am no sound engineer and maybe someone else can take this a step further. I noted that there are tiny washers on the back of the cup so some air must be passing through, pulling back the material seems to allow the unit to breathe. I do not know if taking it all off will have a positive or negative effect.

I think it was crackling when i put the low end frequency's high as it wasn't able to move the air. I didn't want to completely remove it for RMA and I reckon there is enough air that it no longer crackles and can flex it's bass muscle (that is a 106mm driver last time I checked).

I was thinking along the lines of semi open like the TH-X00 or the port on the DT770. Also removing the foam might allow sound to resonate off the wood cups better. It craps on my DT 770 and D2000 for bass.

DAT PLANAR BASS!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back