Modified usage of Super.fi 5pro
Mar 3, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #198 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So basically, will this mod work on super.fi three's as well? I hate the fact that they stick out so far.

if the you can detach the cable from the unit, then yes, this mod should work, good luck and enjoy.
blink.gif

Mar 3, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #199 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by 8lias /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if the you can detach the cable from the unit, then yes, this mod should work, good luck and enjoy.
blink.gif

Thanks!
icon10.gif

Mar 8, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #200 of 296
Personally, I think the FS mod alters the sound in a negative way. I don't mind the look of the regular method of wearing it..although the FS way does make it look more sleek. Another thing is that i have much more difficulty putting it on with the FS mod than just wearing it regularly. I always have to bend and adjust the wire when im using the FS mod.

But its good to try both ways..some might like it, some might not.

Mar 11, 2007 at 9:07 AM Post #201 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphamale /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I think the FS mod alters the sound in a negative way. I don't mind the look of the regular method of wearing it..although the FS way does make it look more sleek. Another thing is that i have much more difficulty putting it on with the FS mod than just wearing it regularly. I always have to bend and adjust the wire when im using the FS mod.

But its good to try both ways..some might like it, some might not.

I find the same thing. The sound seems completely different. I find that the bass drops off, and I get much more sibilance. I suppose it depends everyones' individual ear canal shape. I'm guessing that the sound shaping might be optimized for the "franken bolts" or "carrot" configuration.

Mar 18, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #202 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked about upgrading to triple.fi 10 pro a couple weeks ago when I got my 5 pro's replaced. They said that was not an option. Never hurts to ask again though

The last time I RMA'ed my SF5Ps, I also asked about upgrading to the triple.fis - I was also told this was not an option. BUT I called back the next day and said something like "I have been thinking about it and I am really not very excited about getting another pair of the same model of phones that have failed twice within the last year - I really want to give the triple.fis a shot before switching to a different phone altogther"

I might as well have said "abracadabra" because something that was not an option a day before was suddenly up for discussion.

UE said that they could "hold onto" my broken SF5Ps until the triple.fi's were released for sale (at the time, they said mid March, but that date seems to have come and gone and the trips are still not for sale through UE). So, I asked "How can that be? The triple.fi's are showing as "in stock" on Amazon" UE immediately offered to credit my credit card with my FULL PURCHASE PRICE that was printed on my Guitar Center receipt from almost 2 years ago so that I could go ahead and order the triple.fi's from Amazon.

So when the package from Amazon arrived and contained an empty Roadie case with NO HEADPHONES, I called good ole UE back and they overnighted a set of triple.fi's to me directly.

So lets recap:
day 0: upgrading to triple.fi's is not an option
day 1: upgrading is suddenly an option, but UE does not actually have any triple.fi's. Apparently Amazon has the only ones that exist.
day 4: Upon receiving an empty Roadie case, UE in fact DOES have some triple.fi's on hand

What is going on with UE and the release of the triple.fi's? While their customer service has never failed me, it is now obvious to me that UE customer service is playing their cards pretty close to their chest when it comes to the triple.fi's

Let me also say that the upgrade was totally worth it. The trips (in my opinion) have MORE bass than the SF5Ps. I love these phones.

-Clay

Mar 18, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #203 of 296
I've tried the FS mod on my fi 5s and quite like it.

Quick question though: I understand the whole ridge/letter argument to avoid phasing, but I thought phasing was when ONE of the cables was the wrong way round E.g, one headphone has the ridge mark meeting the "dot" on the driver, whereas the other doesn't. Is it actually the case that phasing is when both ridges are facing outwards and not matched with the driver dots? (I hope someone understands what I'm saying)!

I ask as I tried the cables round both ways (ridges in and ridges out) and I couldn't notice a great deal of difference (and perhaps even preferred the 'phased' version!
confused.gif
biggrin.gif
)

Now, to try on my triple.fi 10s

Mar 28, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #204 of 296
So, it's been about two months since I last used my Fi.5. I've been suffering "vertigo" affect due to "viral virus" in my right inner ear, causing me to ability to hear from my right ear. I didn't realize how much I love music and my Fi.5. The symptom can last up to three months, suck I know.

Not that you care but all I can say is that enjoy the beauty of music and a pair of great IEM.
etysmile.gif

Mar 29, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #205 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by Indygreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As far as going for the trip.10? That is up to you, but I would not. Most things I have read, as well as freq tests shows that the 10 has much less low end. Supposed to have more mid and high and more detail, but I love the impact of the SF5. I would not want to lose that. If you do not want to stick with SF.5 for whatever reason, get them replaced through UE. They will come in a sealed new box. Sell them and buy something else.

It has a much tighter and more controlled low end, and plenty of it. With amps and cables, yes, the sf5pro can be more thumpy. But is thumpy and not accurate a better situation? For some, perhaps. Hell, I loved 'em too at one point, before I got the tri.fi. But the highs on the 5pro are very rolled off and very harsh. Also, they have a very direct, upfront in your head type sound. The soundstage of the tri.fi is completely different, and laid back and much more realistic. And very transparent, as they reveal every nuance in your other gear. But by no means would I say the tri.fi have less bass... just much more accurate and controlled, tighter and extends deeper... not thumpy and lacking in detail like the sf5pros. And for the price difference? They are worth easily 3 times the difference in price from the sf5pro, of $150, IMO. UE always stand behind their products and with a nice roadie case and a great 2 year warranty and customer service second to none, it's really a no brainer if you have the extra $150 to spend. (Yes, the sf5pro can be had for about $189 on the web, but we were referring to retail pricing anyway.)

Mar 29, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #207 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by rolla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does this mod work on the super fi.3's?

I personally have not tried it on the 3's, but I cannot imagine why it wouldn't.

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #208 of 296
I approached this modification with a combination of skepticism and quiet desperation (yes, I know this is a bit much). I had become quite disenchanted with the super fi 5's in place of their much cheaper cousins, the Senn cx300s, and was on the verge of relegating them to use only in airplanes. This mod made all the difference: the accuracy, clarity, and headstage all came back. For this I am most grateful!

Mar 31, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #209 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by rolla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does this mod work on the super fi.3's?

Oh yeah, definitely! Even better than with super.fi 5s, because the 3s don't have that bump on their body for the second driver, so they look even neater in the ears after the mod. I tried it this morning. Awesome results! Much better clarity, bass, soundstage, isolation and comfort!
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #210 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah, definitely! Even better than with super.fi 5s, because the 3s don't have that bump on their body for the second driver, so they look even neater in the ears after the mod. I tried it this morning. Awesome results! Much better clarity, bass, soundstage, isolation and comfort!
biggrin.gif

thanks!
wink.gif
i'm getting my super.fi 3s tomorrow and am gonna try this mod (yeah, i know im late to the "good headphones" game but i didnt know what i was missing out on until i tried on a pair
k1000smile.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back