Modified usage of Super.fi 5pro
Jan 12, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #166 of 296
Got a set of superfi 5 pros today- the clear version. Like the sound. Been using ety 6i's - good but wanted warmer/more bass. I'm happy with the original way of wearing and fitting. Just seem to be able to "twist" in and out and get good seal better. But ........ after following all superfi threads - especially this one - I tried the FS mod. Ok - lower profile etc - but for me - slightly prefer original . So I swapped back!! Took 3 or 4 goes to get cables/phasing sorted back to original. One consequence is that on one side the cable fitting is now quite loose. At one point while putting phones back on the cable just slipped off the driver. Any ideas how to tighten the fit a wee bit?? I've thought of 2 things. Firstly to very carefully /slightly bend or prise apart the 2 gold pins which slide into the 2 holes?? Secondly - a dab of glue (!) then push together ( and hope like h*ll that I wont ever need a replacement cable ?? Any suggestions/anyone been down this road plaese?? Thanks.

Jan 13, 2007 at 12:44 AM Post #167 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by shirleywhite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At one point while putting phones back on the cable just slipped off the driver. Any ideas how to tighten the fit a wee bit?? I've thought of 2 things. Firstly to very carefully /slightly bend or prise apart the 2 gold pins which slide into the 2 holes?? Secondly - a dab of glue (!) then push together ( and hope like h*ll that I wont ever need a replacement cable ?? Any suggestions/anyone been down this road plaese?? Thanks.

Go for the 'very carefully /slightly bend or prise apart the 2 gold pins which slide into the 2 holes' route before the 'dab of glue' warranty voiding trip - bending the pins worked a treat on my first set of UE's before the cases cracked and it only needs to be a slight tweak on just one of the pins.

Another point about the dab a glue method is that your dealing with something very small and glue could very easily stop the connection working leaving you with a set of phones that don't and technically no longer have warranty even if UE are quite lenient in that regard.

Jan 13, 2007 at 10:02 AM Post #168 of 296
Thanks for the reply. A very careful squeezing together seems to have done the trick. Could also be that I'm much more adept now at getting the phones in and out of my ears ( without the initial clumsy attempts,wrapping cable round,etce etc. ( I've also pretty much homed in on the double flange tips. In and out with a slight twist seems to give a good seal - and happy with the sound on these. Got to be honest - not the "prettiest"......!!!!(IMHO). But they do the job I bought em for!!)

Jan 13, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #169 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by joefosho315 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anybody tried this mod with the triple.fi's yet? That's the way I'm wearing them now, but I feel that the sound is slightly different. Might be just me though.

Can't believe I missed this until today. I'm listening to my T.f Pros with the reverse mod right now, and agree that it does sound a bit different. I hear 3 subtle changes:
1) Bass is ever so slightly reduced (softened?). I must emphasize, slightly. There's still plenty of bass.
2) Highs are a bit more forward, a little more energetic. Very pleasant, though... not harsh at all.
3) There is an increased sense of 'airy-ness' around the notes, as if I were listening to a good pair of full-size open headphones.

Actually, this mod makes the Triples sound closer to my UE-10 Pro's. I'll keep the configuration this way for a while, as I'm really enjoying it. Thanks for the great tip.

Jan 14, 2007 at 4:52 AM Post #170 of 296
Quote:

Thanks for the reply. A very careful squeezing together seems to have done the trick. Could also be that I'm much more adept now at getting the phones in and out of my ears ( without the initial clumsy attempts,wrapping cable round,etce etc. ( I've also pretty much homed in on the double flange tips. In and out with a slight twist seems to give a good seal - and happy with the sound on these. Got to be honest - not the "prettiest"......!!!!(IMHO). But they do the job I bought em for!!)

Glad to hear you were able to fix the problem and still enjoy your IEM.
etysmile.gif

Jan 14, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #171 of 296
well, i find that using this method, it much easlier to insert than the unmod method...

Jan 15, 2007 at 12:08 AM Post #172 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, i find that using this method, it much easlier to insert than the unmod method...

I concur theory..
etysmile.gif

Feb 7, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #173 of 296
I posted something on this mod today . . . after finding it in a very round about way. It is like getting new headphones and saving me the $500 or so i was going to spend. Thanks

That said, looking at them closely (I first just changed the memory wires, not unplugging anything) I saw that mine are cracked big time. I guess this is not that uncommon. I had an extended warranty from Guitar center and it seems like the fastest way to get them replaced . . . so that is in process.

They are 13 months old, FWIW.

Feb 12, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #174 of 296
I just got my super.fi 5 pros today and I first tried them on with the FS mod, and I have to say, I wasn't impressed. I thought to myself, I paid a fair amount of shuckles for these babies and my KSC75s get a better balance of sound, even with the exaggerated bass on the KSC75s.

I went around listening with the super.fi pros for a few hours, and within the first ten minutes, my ears began to get fatigued. I wasn't sure why, because the sound wasn't terrible at all. Usually I'm sensitive to sharp treble and massive bass, but I wasn't getting either, so I was confused. Even though I had a perfect fit, the treble seemed recessed and the lower midrange and bass seemed fatiguing. I figured that I'd just live with it, because the super.fi pros are known for strong bass and EQing down the bass wasn't helping with the fatigue.

And after a while, I got sick of it. These were supposed to be amazing phones. Why wasn't I loving them? In a moment of inspiration, I switched them back to their original positions. Instant results! The treble came back bright and clear and the lower ranges weren't overpowering. And then I found this thread and found my suspicions confirmed. I switched the phones again and again and found that the original positions trumped the FS mod positions every time.

So even though I think this mod is clever and I'm really glad that it worked for so many people who couldn't use them otherwise, I'm happy with the fit of the super.fi pros as they are and I think the sound of the phones changes too much with the mod. Just my experiences, thanks everyone!

Feb 13, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #176 of 296
Ok, Im afraid that I have to put an end to all of this nonsense. I will suggest this for an episode on mythbusters. I'll get them to plug these into Buster with gadgets and sensors so it will show that this is just a mind game played on us by 8lias. Of course thats not what my ears are telling me. What a twist!! They do sound like an entirely different set of IEMs. Strange to say the least.

Thank you for sharing.

Feb 13, 2007 at 7:14 PM Post #177 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by nytryder7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, Im afraid that I have to put an end to all of this nonsense. I will suggest this for an episode on mythbusters. I'll get them to plug these into Buster with gadgets and sensors so it will show that this is just a mind game played on us by 8lias. Of course thats not what my ears are telling me. What a twist!! They do sound like an entirely different set of IEMs. Strange to say the least.

Thank you for sharing.

nytryder, it's all in your head, just kidding, i am not very good at mind trick...enjoy
etysmile.gif

Feb 13, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #178 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by mudger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess its just me but I actually think they sound MUCH BETTER with the mod then without. I felt like I uprgraded my phones!

it's all in the ears of the beholder...glad you like it....
etysmile.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #179 of 296
Hi,
This is my first post. I just tried this mod on my super.fi 3's, and the same thing that happened to Epithetless happened to me on the left driver. I just got these less than 2 weeks ago, will ultimate ears repair this? If not what should I do?
Thanks
Evan

Feb 18, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #180 of 296
Quote:

Got a set of superfi 5 pros today- the clear version. Like the sound. Been using ety 6i's - good but wanted warmer/more bass. I'm happy with the original way of wearing and fitting. Just seem to be able to "twist" in and out and get good seal better. But ........ after following all superfi threads - especially this one - I tried the FS mod. Ok - lower profile etc - but for me - slightly prefer original . So I swapped back!! Took 3 or 4 goes to get cables/phasing sorted back to original. One consequence is that on one side the cable fitting is now quite loose. At one point while putting phones back on the cable just slipped off the driver. Any ideas how to tighten the fit a wee bit?? I've thought of 2 things. Firstly to very carefully /slightly bend or prise apart the 2 gold pins which slide into the 2 holes?? Secondly - a dab of glue (!) then push together ( and hope like h*ll that I wont ever need a replacement cable ?? Any suggestions/anyone been down this road plaese?? Thanks.

time to return to UE... i send mine back for the same reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back