Modified usage of Super.fi 5pro
Feb 20, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #182 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvanG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
This is my first post. I just tried this mod on my super.fi 3's, and the same thing that happened to Epithetless happened to me on the left driver. I just got these less than 2 weeks ago, will ultimate ears repair this? If not what should I do?
Thanks
Evan

it's never hurt to try to exchange it since you have 30 days to do so, they are very pleasant to work with. good luck.

Feb 20, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #183 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by forsberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this mod is the best i have seen!!

my ears are big - i use the biggest size tips and sometimes i cant even get a seal unless shoved in very deep which is uncomfortable

now they seal perfectly and very comfy! thanks!

that's great, enjoy!
etysmile.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 9:08 AM Post #184 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by 8lias /img/forum/go_quote.gif
etysmile.gif

(Flip Flop), attached the removeable "left" wire to the "right" driver, and vice versa for the other one. There's a "tiny" bump at the end of the wire and the driver unit, make sure they line up with each other to avoid out of phase sound, wear them like the pictures show.

Advantages: flat, doesn't stick out as much, sturdier fit, best seal for best sound result. ENJOY. Check out UE's site for better pics and instruction.

I just made the swap and it works way better. Thanks for the tip

My only problem with my UE Super.fi 5 pro is there built quality. 100% rubbish. I will send them back for the second time and will receive my third ones from UE. Great after sales policy by the way but I'm getting tired with their poor built quality.

They keep breaking up no matter what I do. I always fold them in their metal cases after uses but I didn't prevent them to break up.

Since I am going to receive a new set of 5 pro's, I was wondering if it would make sense to go for the triple.fi 10 pro?

Are the latter better over the super.fi 5 pro?

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ipo...pro-earphones/

Feb 27, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #185 of 296
are you using the metal case with the middle part that has an opening for the phones and then is round to wrap the wires around?

If so, this is your issue. These cases caused the cracking of the iems. When closed it applies pressure to them. They no longer make that case and they do not recommend anyone use it. I just had mine replaced and have the emails from UE telling me all of this.

If you are using the newer case that is metal but totally hollow, just make sure when you are putting them in that they are in a position that the case will not put pressure on them when shut.

Feb 27, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #186 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by Indygreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are you using the metal case with the middle part that has an opening for the phones and then is round to wrap the wires around?

If so, this is your issue. These cases caused the cracking of the iems. When closed it applies pressure to them. They no longer make that case and they do not recommend anyone use it. I just had mine replaced and have the emails from UE telling me all of this.

If you are using the newer case that is metal but totally hollow, just make sure when you are putting them in that they are in a position that the case will not put pressure on them when shut.

since my first set of earphones got broken, I have been using their metal case ever since with second earphones. They never told me not to do so.

I hope with their third set of earphones I will receive their newer case. I'll pay attention if they won't be squashed in it.

If they agree, I'll upgrade to the triple 10 pro and pay the extra $150.00. Would you recommend such upgrade, is it worth it?

With regards to their metal case, thanks for the tip anyway.

Feb 27, 2007 at 11:38 AM Post #187 of 296
IF you keep the SF5's and they send you the old style case - just toss it. It is not worth sending them back all the time. They should have told you that the case was the issue . . . for some reason they are sort of shy about doing so. When I first asked if they get a lot of cracked units, they essentially did not answer. It is not like they were not helpful - in fact they were amazing - like an email 1 hour later telling me that I will get a new pair. They just sort of igrnored it. I then got emailing back and forth with a girl there. It was only after I got my new ones (with new open case) and I emailed them asking for the old style case that they told me. They said it is the issue and that they recommend no one use them.

As far as going for the trip.10? That is up to you, but I would not. Most things I have read, as well as freq tests shows that the 10 has much less low end. Supposed to have more mid and high and more detail, but I love the impact of the SF5. I would not want to lose that. If you do not want to stick with SF.5 for whatever reason, get them replaced through UE. They will come in a sealed new box. Sell them and buy something else.

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #188 of 296
Thanks Indygreg for your answer.

If I stick with the SF5pro, I'll ask for a new case. Maybe then, I'll decide whether or not I'll sell them in sealed box.

On UE website, they are still showing the older metal case.
mad.gif

I might bo back again to Shure, I guess the E4c. The E5c or E500 are a bit too expensive but I guess they are worth every penny.

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:05 PM Post #189 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by El Lingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If they agree, I'll upgrade to the triple 10 pro and pay the extra $150.00. Would you recommend such upgrade, is it worth it?

I asked about upgrading to triple.fi 10 pro a couple weeks ago when I got my 5 pro's replaced. They said that was not an option. Never hurts to ask again though

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:26 PM Post #190 of 296
My $.02 on several topics. I am not sure these are really that fragile - I think a lot of IEMs would crack if put in a case that put probably 5-10lbs of constant pressure on them. That case was somewhat hard to close and was very hard to open. Mine lasted 14 months of this (they were in this case 100% of the time when not in use, and to be honest I never used them that much). They only failed (broke) when i went to pull the cable off the IEM to do the flip side mod. The cable connection was stronger than the cracked housing.

Their customer service was wonderful to me. I cannot fault them at all.

I understand why they would not upgrade. It does not make a lot of sense for them to do that, from a bottom line perspective. I mean, then people could intentionally crack their 5's to get full trade in price towards the 10. Additionally, the casings are essentialy the same on all their products, so one could not argue that they should allow the upgrade based on one product being defective and the other being a different design.
However, I agree - it never hurts to ask. I did not as I did not want the Trip10. I think someone on here got them to do an upgrade towards a custom once after like 3 or 4 replacements. Or I dreamed I read that.

Feb 27, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #191 of 296
with regards to the upgrade from SF5's to TF10's, I don't quite understand why they would refuse as long as I would pay the extra $150.

UE customer service is excellent contrary to their built quality. Didn't they test their casing before being released? I always thought their metal case looked great but was a real pain to use. One would need to hold one bit in one hand, with the other hand one would either hold the other bit and still try to grab and unfold the earphones.

I tried to use a Shure case I still had but the SF5's are just a bit too big. This one has a zip. When unzipped, case remains open but one would only use one hand to hold the case and other hand would grab and unfolled the earphones.

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #192 of 296
To be more specific, they would rather get $400 from you and have you as a two headphone customer instead of taking the one back and selling the Trip.10 to you at 150+trade in. One way gives them profit on two sales.

Feb 27, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #193 of 296
Mine cracked after about a year, UE was great about the replacement, but the new can that they go in is aweful.. no place to put the tools like the original one did, and no leather bag for the other tips.. over all you get a lot less for the same price IMO. I wish there was a way to make the older container work. I just sold them and bought Shure E500s and have not looked back.

Feb 27, 2007 at 10:37 PM Post #194 of 296
I don't own the 10 pro but since technology keeps getting better and better by the nano second, keeping up with it might send me to "spending too much" rehab
blink.gif
, therefore I learned to be contend with what I have and I must say the 5 pro is a superior IEM already, there's limit of what the ears can handle and distinguish the difference, I am no audiophile by any means, but $150 is a good chunk of money, at least IMHO. Enjoy.

Feb 28, 2007 at 8:59 AM Post #195 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I asked about upgrading to triple.fi 10 pro a couple weeks ago when I got my 5 pro's replaced. They said that was not an option. Never hurts to ask again though

I confirm they won't accept to upgrade. Never mind, I'll stick to the SF5's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back