Modified usage of Super.fi 5pro
Jul 22, 2007 at 5:57 PM Post #227 of 296
Hey Konon!!

I totally agree with you. I also use the super.fi 5 pro with FS mod. But I used to align the ridges of the wire and the driver unit.

But after reading your suggestion, I decided to give it a try and guess what? I found an increase in the clarity immediately. The slight muddiness that used to irritate me now is gone. The sound is more crispier the way you suggested.

The vocals also instantly seem closer and clearer now on many songs.

I think everyone should try this and post your opinions.

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:20 AM Post #232 of 296
No the audio won't be reversed.

It would be reversed only if you don't switch the wires.

Switch the drivers from their wires in the stock mode. So the left wire would go into the right driver and vice versa.

Jul 23, 2007 at 7:28 AM Post #233 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by genesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No the audio won't be reversed.

It would be reversed only if you don't switch the wires.

Switch the drivers from their wires in the stock mode. So the left wire would go into the right driver and vice versa.

Ah so you go from left to right (for the cables) and then also stick the right driver in your left ear and vice versa?

Jul 23, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #236 of 296
It does work well with the 3's.

There is technically no reason to change the wires at all if you do not mind having the left channel play in your right ear and right channel in your left.

Jul 23, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #237 of 296
just bought one.......cant wait
dont wanna fijack the thread but can somebody tell me the differnce in sq between the .fi3 and 5s????
i ve done some research and the only thing i can find is that the more expensive ones have 2 drivers which should translate to a better sound.

is worth returning the fi 3 after i recieve them for the 5s???

thnks

Jul 24, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #239 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by rjim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait.
So what is the "correct" usage of the FS mod? Driver/cable ridges lining up, or the contrary?

the correct way to use this mod is to have the cable ridges line up with the driver/earpiece ridges. this ensures that the left and right channel audio are appropriately reproduced.

http://www.ultimateears.com/videos/superfi_mod.htm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is technically no reason to change the wires at all if you do not mind having the left channel play in your right ear and right channel in your left.

I don't believe that's true. if the channels are flipped and the left channel plays in the right ear and vice versa, you would immediately notice the sound change. I use modded 5 pros for FPS gaming, which of course requires directional sound, and as long as you use the mod properly, the left/right channels do not get reversed at all. as long as you use the cable marked "left" for your left ear and the cable marked "right" for your right ear, you can switch the earpieces as much as you want, just as long as the ridges line up so the polarity (?) isn't reversed. anyways, this mod should not change the sound AT ALL, just the fit and comfort

Jul 25, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #240 of 296
If not for this thread, I probably wouldn't have bought the super.fi 5 pro but I jumped all over the Amazon deal for 150. First of all, they are awesome
smily_headphones1.gif
I swapped the cables right away but I have no idea if they are "in phase" or not. They seem to sound OK either way. Where are these ridges on clear cables??

TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back