Modified usage of Super.fi 5pro
Sep 1, 2007 at 8:49 PM Post #256 of 296
Quote:

just one question to the super.fi 5 pro crowd,

with the Futuresonics Atrio M5 at $150, are the super.fi 5 pro still worth the money ?

I'll let you know in 2 weeks if you can wait
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #257 of 296
Yeah,... I like this mod a lot! I can get a much better fit and I no longer look wierd with my Superfi on. I do have to share my exp with the ES cable mod though... it's sooo sweet! IF you broke your cable or simply hate the UE cable go with some ES cable from Westone. Little work/$ to improve the sound fo Super.fi Big time!
wink.gif

Sep 2, 2007 at 11:48 AM Post #259 of 296
Hum,... Mumboman do you still have the original cable next to you? If you do please do try out the cable again to see if you find any improvement when it comes to SQ. To my ears (and I hope it's not all in my mind) the Bass tighten and becomes less over-powering while the mid seems to become a bit more foward. I hope others can shed some light in this subject. The improvement of SQ sounds very real to me,..

Sep 3, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #261 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by lisztian420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hum,... Mumboman do you still have the original cable next to you? If you do please do try out the cable again to see if you find any improvement when it comes to SQ. To my ears (and I hope it's not all in my mind) the Bass tighten and becomes less over-powering while the mid seems to become a bit more foward. I hope others can shed some light in this subject. The improvement of SQ sounds very real to me,..

Hi, I have just tried it again and really cannot tell much of a difference between the two cables based on SQ. My main change for the ES cables is that it is able to allow me to coil much easier and reduces the microphonics substantially when I am walking with my rig.

Sep 6, 2007 at 9:01 AM Post #262 of 296
A question to SFP5 owners: Which if any of the other foamies out there fit the nozzel of the SFP5? Is there a strong preference for a different brand, or is UE the way to go?

Sep 6, 2007 at 9:15 PM Post #263 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bisco82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A question to SFP5 owners: Which if any of the other foamies out there fit the nozzel of the SFP5? Is there a strong preference for a different brand, or is UE the way to go?

I asked that question a few days back, and from the response I got was that the shure foam tips probably won't fit on the super fis. I have a pair of e2c foamies from my marshmallows that I tried on the super fi's and it didn't fit. I am wondering if there is a site that sells the replacement foam tips for the super fi's cheaper than on the ue website though.

Sep 7, 2007 at 8:07 AM Post #264 of 296
So are there any tips that DO fit it besides the UE foam? I agree with you, I dont really care to order them from their website!

Sep 8, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #265 of 296
The trouble with the UE foamies is that the barrel of the IEM's is much wider than any other IEM out there, making a direct replacement impossible. What I did was just rip out the center plastic tube of some ER6i foamies I had, and stretching the rest over the barrel of the super.fi. Not perfect, but it'll do in a pinch..................

Sep 14, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #266 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by 8lias /img/forum/go_quote.gif
etysmile.gif

(Flip Flop), attached the removeable "left" wire to the "right" driver, and vice versa for the other one. There's a "tiny" bump at the end of the wire and the driver unit, make sure they line up with each other to avoid out of phase sound, wear them like the pictures show.

Advantages: flat, doesn't stick out as much, sturdier fit, best seal for best sound result. ENJOY. Check out UE's site for better pics and instruction.

This was the ONLY way that I could fit them right, but they were still too big vs my SE500's

Sep 21, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #267 of 296
Note: I did some experimenting and I found that the tips from my DTX 50 are terrific with the sf5p! They allow your ears to get a bit closer to the drivers and seal very nicely

Oct 8, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #268 of 296
Quote:

Originally Posted by genesis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But recently I reversed the position of the ridges such that the ridges are opposite to each other and found the clarity is slightly better and the bass does not overpower the rest of the spectrum as much.

I think everyone should try this and post their opinions. I definitely feel that the sound is better that way rather than aligning the ridges.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jewman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried this with my sf3 and call it placebo, but I actually did notice slightly better clarity and tighter bass. Thanks for the tip
smily_headphones1.gif

This might not be so crazy an idea, or simply a placebo effect.
I would expect that when designing these units the left and right are created as exact mirror images of each other. That would mean when flipping the cables, whichever wire connected toward the front of the left monitor should also connect toward the front of the right. Rotating the cable 180 in order to line up the 'ridges' (or the L/R indicators) would reverse these. I don't actually have these to try it; I'm just going off of others' descriptions...

Quote:

Originally Posted by scratchyvinyl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed, the two wires are "+" and "-" for each ear, like red and black terminals for speakers/monitors. I found this out when I first tried the FS mod: the soundstage sounded funny to me. So with closer inspection, I noticed my left driver's wire was plugged into the driver differently than my right driver, giving a weird, "out of phase" sound.

This original description of an "out of phase" sound from early in the thread seemed to lead to a reasoning that the 'backwardness' of the cable was to blame. Presumably, if the other had also been backward it still would have sounded bad. But if the argument above is right, then scratchvinyl may have 'fixed' the problem by actually turning them BOTH the wrong way. This could maybe explain the exaggerated lows/rolled off highs/muddiness described by several people.
Having the cables turned a different way on each monitor sounds worse than having them both turned the wrong way.

I'm usually content to lurk when I'm doing research for a new (high-end) purchase, but I felt a need to register and comment/ask about this. Does it make sense to those of you who have a set in your hands to look at? (especially the clear kind, where you can see if they're perfectly symmetrical)

Sorry if this was kind of a dead post.

-J

Oct 8, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #269 of 296
i guess i'm the lucky one. kind of like the super fi pro design from sound to outlook and the way to wear. because of that big plug/earphone. i can easily hold it and put it in and out.
and the super fi is not the only iem i got and i know iem a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back