Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
Oct 4, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #1,276 of 1,323
I'm yo-yoing here but I've decided to sell my T60 again. I think that day when I thought I'd controlled the sibilance was a one off.

I'll may also sell my MK3 as I'm detecting a similar (although slightly lesser) sibilance there too. But before I make a final decision, I've ordered the ZMF lambskin ovals to try on the MK3 as that is supposed to reduce the 8-10khz energy. I'll see when they arrive.

I tried the vegan xenon on both the T60 and the MK3. They are supposed to slightly reduced the 7-10khz region, but it didn't address the problem area for my ears. Let's see how the lamb oval does.

I'd like to keep my MK3 as a warm fun headphone in my collection. But I'm also selling a lot of stuff to fund a Tungsten. I can't justify keeping the MK3 if I can't fix the sibilance.

Out of curiosity has anyone tried the Sheepskin Xenons with the MK3? If lamb ZMFs are supposed to address the 8-10khz area, I wonder if the sheepskins would too? The Modhouse website says the Sheepskin Xenons are more helpful with other areas but wondered if anyone here has any experience to share?

The Xenons that I have tried (vegan and suede) do greatly improve the soundstage... but that sibilance.

Oct 4, 2023 at 8:46 AM Post #1,277 of 1,323
I'm yo-yoing here but I've decided to sell my T60 again. I think that day when I thought I'd controlled the sibilance was a one off.

I'll may also sell my MK3 as I'm detecting a similar (although slightly lesser) sibilance there too. But before I make a final decision, I've ordered the ZMF lambskin ovals to try on the MK3 as that is supposed to reduce the 8-10khz energy. I'll see when they arrive.

I tried the vegan xenon on both the T60 and the MK3. They are supposed to slightly reduced the 7-10khz region, but it didn't address the problem area for my ears. Let's see how the lamb oval does.

I'd like to keep my MK3 as a warm fun headphone in my collection. But I'm also selling a lot of stuff to fund a Tungsten. I can't justify keeping the MK3 if I can't fix the sibilance.

Out of curiosity has anyone tried the Sheepskin Xenons with the MK3? If lamb ZMFs are supposed to address the 8-10khz area, I wonder if the sheepskins would too? The Modhouse website says the Sheepskin Xenons are more helpful with other areas but wondered if anyone here has any experience to share?

The Xenons that I have tried (vegan and suede) do greatly improve the soundstage... but that sibilance.
FWIW, you might try using a graphic equalizer, since one can be quite effective in making the subtle changes to the sonic characteristics that you are looking for in your headphones. And they'll be no need to modify your headphones.

Oct 4, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #1,278 of 1,323

I'm using the sheepskin xenons with my mk2 Argons. Huge improvement from the stock TX-0 pads (which are already an upgrade over stock T50 pads). I don't hear any sibilance whatsoever.

Oct 6, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #1,279 of 1,323
I have a small problem with my Argons Mk3. I have contacted Modhouse a few days ago, but Ryan must be busy and not replying. The headphones are well past any warranty anyway. I've had them for a few years now.

For some time now, if my headphone cable is dangling freely from headphones, I get no signal in the left earpiece. However, if I turn the cable up and hang it on the metal frame, I have sound in both earphones as normal. It has been like that for some time and I got used to it, but it's not the most comfortable having the cable so high up. Also I'm worried that it will get worse with time and I will lose signal in the left earpiece permanently. Has anyone managed to fix a similar problem? I don't really feel comfortable taking them apart without some kind of step-by-step guide. I don't want to break anything. They are my most used headphones. Help :)

Oct 6, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #1,280 of 1,323
I have a small problem with my Argons Mk3. I have contacted Modhouse a few days ago, but Ryan must be busy and not replying. The headphones are well past any warranty anyway. I've had them for a few years now.

For some time now, if my headphone cable is dangling freely from headphones, I get no signal in the left earpiece. However, if I turn the cable up and hang it on the metal frame, I have sound in both earphones as normal. It has been like that for some time and I got used to it, but it's not the most comfortable having the cable so high up. Also I'm worried that it will get worse with time and I will lose signal in the left earpiece permanently. Has anyone managed to fix a similar problem? I don't really feel comfortable taking them apart without some kind of step-by-step guide. I don't want to break anything. They are my most used headphones. Help :)
If Ryan isn't willing to repair it, that still is a very repairable problem and you shouldn't have much trouble finding someone here to fix it for you.

Oct 6, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #1,281 of 1,323
If Ryan isn't willing to repair it, that still is a very repairable problem and you shouldn't have much trouble finding someone here to fix it for you.
I have ordered a new cable to see if that's not the cause. I've been using the same cable with the headphones since I got them in 2018. I should have probably done it first before sending email and posting here, but somehow it never occurred to me. I'll report back when I get the cable. Thank you!

Nov 29, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #1,283 of 1,323
Nov 29, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #1,285 of 1,323
I have read thru many (not all) of the posts here and couldn't find an answer. Looking to get my T60RP's done. Besides the pads, what does the "Argon Conversion" consist of?
I don't remember the exact video, but I remember that someone said that they modify the "acoustics" on the interior of the Cup, around the driver, by using damping materials. It's pretty basic stuff, but it seems that it does a big difference. As far as I remember, they don't modify any electronics. Maybe just the way the driver is seated on the Cup.

Nov 29, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #1,286 of 1,323
I don't remember the exact video, but I remember that someone said that they modify the "acoustics" on the interior of the Cup, around the driver, by using damping materials. It's pretty basic stuff, but it seems that it does a big difference. As far as I remember, they don't modify any electronics. Maybe just the way the driver is seated on the Cup.
Thanks. That's what I was guessing. Very similar to the Lawton mods for the TH900's, 610s and the Denon 5200/7200/9200's.

Nov 29, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #1,287 of 1,323
Sorry but that tells you absolutely noting about what the mod consists of.
This is a good review and also comparison of the stock vs argon modified T60RP.

Nov 29, 2023 at 10:38 AM Post #1,289 of 1,323
Yes, around the 7 minute he explains the changes that have been made, including two photos.
This is maybe the video that I saw, because it's exactly what I said, hehe
That shows the baffle inserts that come with the pads. That is indeed one part of the mods.
I'm going to send mine in and have it done. I'll take them apart when I get them back and post some pics.

Jan 18, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #1,290 of 1,323
I think interested in Argonizing my T60rp. I am in the UK. Does anyone have any advice please on what international customers have done (especially UK) to send their headpones to the States to the Argon Gentleman (that sounds like a Victorian Superhero, lol). I guess that the scummy authorities will try and charge customs taxes both on export, and reimport, even though you could technically argue they are being sent for a "repair", and are used headphones and nowhere near their "new" value.

Can anyone advise me if they know anything about the costs or processes for this? I might also be able to travel them to the states and mail them from there, but it's not super convenient, but possible. thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back