Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
May 6, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #1,261 of 1,326
Hello Argon owners, is it worth adding the Argon Mk3 to my collection? I keep seeing peope rave about it, especially for being a fun headphone.

I have quite a few headphones. My fun sounding headphones are the Hifiman Edition X V2, Campfire Cascade, Th900, Audeze LCD2.

So I am not sure if I would like it in comparison to my other HP. Can someone help me here?
Honestly, I feel like the Argon would be immediately outclassed by the Cascade and TH900 already in your collection.

May 6, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #1,263 of 1,326
I agree that the Argon are somewhat special. However, I also agree that they don't add too much to your collection. I have the LCD2Classic, the Cascades and the Fostex Ebony.
The Argons have better soundstage than the Cascades, but you already have the LCD2, so this won't be anything special for you.
Regarding bass, the Argons are nice, but you already have two of the best bass in the headphone world.
Detail is not great on the Argon, so you won't win there.
In general, the Argons are special, fun to have and play with. However, they are not for everyone, and not worth it, in my opinion, given your precious collection

May 6, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #1,265 of 1,326
As you guys have interesting collections, what you think would be a nice stepup (bit less bass, more detail and cleaness)? The gap between Modhouse and Zeus is quite big sometimes.
Bass-light plus high detail is basically the Hifiman house sound, so I'd start there.

May 6, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #1,267 of 1,326
How does the TH900 compare? Thougt it would be more of a other signature than Argons
The TH900s are extremely V shaped, to the point the mids can sound recessed or overshadowed by the bass and treble. It is amazing with certain genres like EDM but where vocals are of concern, like in Rap, it's just good.
The highs are killing me though, so I've got some ZMF Ori pads and Dekoni attenuation rings on the way to fix it.

Whereas the Argons, from what I've seen in reviews and here, is quite L shaped.

May 6, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #1,268 of 1,326
As you guys have interesting collections, what you think would be a nice stepup (bit less bass, more detail and cleaness)? The gap between Modhouse and Zeus is quite big sometimes.
For me, a ZMF Eikon has displaced much of the head time my Argons had. It's not planar, but it's a 300ohm biocell driver that's pretty quick especially when driven well. And more flat bass (more subbass) and detail, and some lovely mids. I still haven't been able to bring myself to list my Argons, though. Their bass presentation does something unique.

May 7, 2023 at 6:54 PM Post #1,269 of 1,326
Has anyone compared the t50 argon mk3 to the LCD2 closed? I'm very curious about how they compare and I'm looking to get a better closed back for isolation.

May 7, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #1,270 of 1,326
Has anyone compared the t50 argon mk3 to the LCD2 closed? I'm very curious about how they compare and I'm looking to get a better closed back for isolation.
T50 is technically only semi-closed, so it may not isolate as well as you'd hope

May 7, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #1,271 of 1,326
T50 is technically only semi-closed, so it may not isolate as well as you'd hope
I have the T50 argon and it's not too bad with isolation but was wondering how the LCD2 closed sounds compared to the Argon

May 14, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #1,272 of 1,326
So today is a day that I never imagined would come but here it is. After a lot of deliberating and agonising (or should I say Argonising - I'm hilarious, I know) I've decided to sell my T60 Argons. The reasons:

1 - I got a ZMF Atrium (unbelievably good!)
2 - the sibilance (and this is the main reason).

I tried everything I could with the T60s - ZMF Oval suedes, proteins & cowhides; Xenon suedes and vegan leathers; the baffle.

Ironically, I discovered today that the way to tame the sibilance is to bring the drivers closer to the ears. That's the main thing I wanted to share here as it may help someone else. Compress the pads, tighten the clamp and sibilance is reduced.

Unfortunately (in this case) for me, I have a tiny head. Usually with headphones it's an advantage because most headphones are comfortable for me, or can be made so with a bit of headband adjustment. However, with the T60 Argons, I need to bend the headband so much to the point of it creating too much pressure on my temples. Also bringing the driver in reduces the soundstage that I love about the T60s. In the context of my wider collection it doesn't make sense to lose both comfort and soundstage to keep the T60s.

They'll be up in classifieds soon.

I learned today that people with regular sized or big heads probably have an amazing time with these headphones if they get the comfort right.

On the bright side, my Argon MK3 has survived the cull so I'm happy to still be part of the Argon family.
I chickened out... I kept my T60s in the end (and the MKIII). But I hadn't listened to my T60s since my last post which turns out to have been a long time ago.

Well today, I actually "actively" decided to keep my T60s. I've fallen in love with them again because I found a highly unexpected solution to the sibilance vs comfort problem:

As well as bending the headband to make the clamp as tight as I possibly could, I have now rotated the Xenon pads so that the thinnest part of the pads is at the bottom of the earcup rather than the front (sideburns) part. the sound is as perfect as these headphones are going to get. The "s"s that were previously sibilant and piercing are now crisp but just short of sibilant. It's quite tantilizing..... and the rest of the frequency range is wonderful.

I'm starting to wonder if I have just been making a ridiculously basic mistake all this time and "thin side down" this is how the pads were meant to be used all along? I'd be grateful if someone can put me out of my insanity.

Either way this is how they work for me so this is how they'll be staying.

If anyone else feels like giving this basic change a go and sharing impressions, please do!

Oct 1, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #1,273 of 1,326
Anybody compared the trp60 Argons against the Sennheiser HD660-S2? If so, thoughts on this comparison?

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #1,274 of 1,326
Hi felt like sharing one of my hobby projects.

New look for y t60 cups. I'm working on the clear coat and debating final look.

I stained in a look that shows the grain in black. Then wet sanded the top till it got close to lightest of the wood.

Currently the wet matte clear is making shiny and much darker. The finish is either matte buffed look or a car finished in glass shine.
16961810904957318899894891187348.jpg
169618110584035618761252760428.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #1,275 of 1,326
Hi felt like sharing one of my hobby projects.

New look for y t60 cups. I'm working on the clear coat and debating final look.

I stained in a look that shows the grain in black. Then wet sanded the top till it got close to lightest of the wood.

Currently the wet matte clear is making shiny and much darker. The finish is either matte buffed look or a car finished in glass shine.
16961810904957318899894891187348.jpg169618110584035618761252760428.jpg
They look great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back