Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
Mar 29, 2018 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1,323

omegaorgun

Previously known as FireLion
Thread dedicated to the popular modification of T50RP MK2 and MK3 known as the Argon. Here owners can post pictures and discuss their experience with them.

These headphones are know for having deep punchy bass with having a relatively uncolored and warm mid range with highlighted treble. They have possibly the best sound stage of any headphone in it's price range and are comparable to more expensive and open back headphones in this area.
The overall sound is fun, non fatiguing and combined with the amazing ZMF ear pads (choice) and lush handmade Modhouse Audio original deerskin or cowhide strap they are suitable for long relaxed listening sessions. It is also includes a v-moda braided cable.

When Fostex stopped making the MK2 Modhouse Audio began work on the MK3 as the driver and internals were revised it required different modifications to again achieve the signature Argon sound.

You can buy the complete MK3 package or send your existing MK2 /MK3 T20RP, T40RP, T50RP or Massdrop T-X0 for modification and can choose the pads and strap as extras. This represents amazing value if you already purchased aftermarket pads or head strap and is possibly one of the best price to performance ratio headphones you can buy.

Modhouse Audio Homepage

REVIEW METAL571
REVIEW DMS3 TV_MK2 MK3
REVIEW Z REVIEWS

Front_off_stand.jpg

P1011582.JPG

P1011593.JPG

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 1,323
Just got mine which was originally a T-X0 and they sound pretty nice stock but was lacking just a little in bass. Now they have nice bass, a good bit more than more than stock. Sound stage is good too, feels like you are in a cave or large room with the musicians.:L3000:

Just overall a pleasant headphone to listen to and that deerskin strap is so nice, it floats on your head.

43eBw8d.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #3 of 1,323
IMG_0569.jpg

Massdrop TX0->Argon MK2 with perforated Ori pads. (W/Shanling M3s and Phatlab Phantasy)

The perforated pads improve the soundstage quite a bit over the protein leather pads that I originally got with the Argon, at the cost of some bass. (I think) reflected sound from the inside of the non-perforated pads created a sense of soundstage that is wide, but confined, like listening through two paper towel tubes.

Apr 2, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #4 of 1,323

Massdrop TX0->Argon MK2 with perforated Ori pads. (W/Shanling M3s and Phatlab Phantasy)

The perforated pads improve the soundstage quite a bit over the protein leather pads that I originally got with the Argon, at the cost of some bass. (I think) reflected sound from the inside of the non-perforated pads created a sense of soundstage that is wide, but confined, like listening through two paper towel tubes.

I love ZMF pads, I opted for the lambskins and so far loving it.

Apr 5, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 1,323
I just put MrSpeakers Alpha Pads on...very nice softens it up a little with great bass,

Apr 16, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #6 of 1,323
My Argon Mk.3s should be made in a month or so. Sending them get recabled at BTG first with dual entry hardwire Furutech FHD35 then it's off to Mod House Audio!

@omegaorgun Hey not sure if you saw my reply in the Alpha Prime thread but if you get a chance I'd love to hear your thoughts on how the Argons stack up against the Primes. I know that the Argon has a bassy tilt which I'm looking forward too.

Apr 18, 2018 at 8:58 PM Post #7 of 1,323
Hey there,
I'm trying to chooe between buying a tx0 or an mk3. I'll be sending them in for the Argon treatment either way, but would anyone with experience with both headphones be able to compare/contrast the 2? Thanks.

Edit: if it helps, I will be using alpha pads and I have to decide between a basx, magni 3, or an O2 as an amp.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #8 of 1,323
Hey there,
I'm trying to chooe between buying a tx0 or an mk3. I'll be sending them in for the Argon treatment either way, but would anyone with experience with both headphones be able to compare/contrast the 2? Thanks.

Edit: if it helps, I will be using alpha pads and I have to decide between a basx, magni 3, or an O2 as an amp.

I can't compare the sound of MK3-Argon to MK2-Argon, but as for the construction:
  • The top strap on the MK3 is nicer than the MK2, which is not a huge deal when you're adding a suspension strap under it.
  • The MK3 cups have a little lip which allows for using pads with a smaller...whatever you call that elastic part that stretches over the earcup. (Example: Shure Alcantara pads fit easily on MK3 but I couldn't fit them on my T-X0 without breaking them.)
  • The T-X0 uses obnoxious little security torx bits to fasten/tighten the slider assemblies.
Assuming the Argon-converted MK3 sounds as good as or better than the Argon-converted MK2, then I'd say go for the MK3 unless you get a particularly good deal on a used T-X0.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #9 of 1,323
I doubt they sound identical, buy if they did then I'd honestly get the tx0 modded simply for aesthetics. I think the black metal, cups, headband, and cable look so much better than the orange, silver and white on the mk3. Also, the tx0 comes with a strap and I'd probably get the mha deerskin so the mk2 strap's lightness makes the build on the mk2 better for me.
I'm pretty much going to base my choice on sound though, so hopefully someone will be able to provide a comparison.

May 7, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #10 of 1,323
May 13, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #13 of 1,323
Does anyone have a comparison of the Argons to Open Alphas/primes? Thanks

I have closed Alpha Primes. Argon have more bass are wider and have more warmth, more forgiving. The Alpha Prime has smoother but less bass with more clarity on top. Both are very cool. The bass is still nice on the Alpha Prime.

Last edited:
May 13, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #14 of 1,323
My Argon Mk.3s should be made in a month or so. Sending them get recabled at BTG first with dual entry hardwire Furutech FHD35 then it's off to Mod House Audio!

@omegaorgun Hey not sure if you saw my reply in the Alpha Prime thread but if you get a chance I'd love to hear your thoughts on how the Argons stack up against the Primes. I know that the Argon has a bassy tilt which I'm looking forward too.

They stack up very well to make it simple. The Argons more bass less detail on the high end sort of like the 600 vs 650 one is warmer and one is clearer. The Primes have less bass (80%) but still very smooth and satisfying and it has more clarity on top. Both have good bass and detail just one is better at each thing. The Argon is my daily driver in work and it's a very non fatiguing sound.

Hey there,

I was never sorry for sending in the T-X0 it was an improvement hands down. He actually has to modify the MK3 driver to get it in line with the MK2 so you still end up with the Argon sound one way or another.

This combo is great. https://imgur.com/a/9ypGbeA

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #15 of 1,323
I'm glad that this thread was created.

I've owned this headphone twice (which sounds bad), but the headphone itself is pretty impressive, especially for gaming.

EDIT: Compared to the Alpha Prime I feel that the Argons have more body in the bass. The bass also sounds more wooly and creeps into the mid-range while the Alpha Prime has less bass body but I feel that the quality is better than the Argons. The Argons are overall a warmer headphone and sometimes the details get a bit mushed together. The Alpha Prime definitely has more treble energy and extension whereas the Argon is quite rolled off. The Argons have a touch wider soundstage, but I feel that the Alpha Prime has more depth.

The Argons suffer from lack of clarity, treble energy and bass bloom, but even with all that said I still think that they are a fun headphone to listen with.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back