Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
Jul 2, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #17 of 1,323
If anyone is wondering what Eikon pads are like, both lambskin and protein leather sound great.

Protein is my fave, it sounds so tight. Soundstage is reduced as is bass but mids are brought forward. It has it's own thing going on, recommended.

The lambskin is similar but has a little bit more going on with the treble.

Has anyone tried Ori pads or Impact pads?

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #18 of 1,323
If anyone is wondering what Eikon pads are like, both lambskin and protein leather sound great.

Protein is my fave, it sounds so tight. Soundstage is reduced as is bass but mids are brought forward. It has it's own thing going on, recommended.

The lambskin is similar but has a little bit more going on with the treble.

Has anyone tried Ori pads or Impact pads?

I tired the Cascadia Audio Impact pads with them. They brought the sound stage in a bit. The high mids seemed a bit clearer, and the low mids were more elevated. I can't really decide if like it or not yet, but I'll keep trying things and we'll see what happens.

Jul 6, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #19 of 1,323
hey, so--i have T40 Mk3's, which i thought i needed to reduce leakage in my office (it turns out i could have gone with T50...actually i wish i had).

does anybody know--does modhouse use the fostex cups, or their own? do they entirely close the T50 vent, or just partly? i understand the argon to be a closed headphone, so if i send the closed T40 to mod house, will i end up with a different-sounding version of the argons than people who send them a T50? my goal of course is to end up with a headphone that's uniform with their other Argon Mk3's.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 2:15 PM Post #20 of 1,323
hey, so--i have T40 Mk3's, which i thought i needed to reduce leakage in my office (it turns out i could have gone with T50...actually i wish i had).

does anybody know--does modhouse use the fostex cups, or their own? do they entirely close the T50 vent, or just partly? i understand the argon to be a closed headphone, so if i send the closed T40 to mod house, will i end up with a different-sounding version of the argons than people who send them a T50? my goal of course is to end up with a headphone that's uniform with their other Argon Mk3's.

You're fine. The difference between the t40 and t50 is a piece of tape which argon mods anyway

Jul 8, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #23 of 1,323
The website says 9 weeks.... I received mine a few weeks ago and the estimate at the time was dead on. It is more than worth the wait. At least it is not Massdrop wait times.

Jul 11, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #26 of 1,323
So what do think of these cans?

Man... I have a decent collection of cans and I have to look for a reason to take these off..... I am super happy with them.... there are other headphones I reach for for different reasons but I always come back to these.... For vocals.... jazz mostly I take the HD6xx.... for small classical groups I pick up the HE4xx. For mobile or "in your face" rock or hip hop I will take the triple driver over ear... The argons do all of these well but some cans can do each thing a little better which is why I keep coming back. The only issue that someone might find is that they need power.... a lot of power.... I am running all of these on a NFB 11.28 and I run all of them on low gain at about 11 o clock..... but the argons are at 2 o clock at high gain

Jul 11, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #27 of 1,323

Doesn't matter if it's a T20, T40, or T50 that is sent in... they will be modded to an argon specific configuration and will all sound the same.

My T40RP Mk3 were sent in and received May 30th with an 8 week lead time... so should probably be getting them in the begining of next month. Should have sent them in earlier when it was a 2-3 week lead time, but took some prodding from Z's review and sound demo plus listening to the T40RP's for the first time on my Gustard rig (X20U DAC and modded H10 amp)... the stock T40RP Mk3 really comes alive on that setup, bass like on my TH-X00PH with great dynamics and nice detail in the highs, never heard it like that before - it is what immediately convinced me to send them in. Looking forward to listening to them when they come in.

Jul 16, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #28 of 1,323
I recently picked up a set of T20RP MK2 for $40 with the intention of sending them off to Modhouse...can y'all give me any advice, what should I expect, how can I maximize my experience?

Jul 16, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #29 of 1,323
I haven't received mine yet, but I would say make sure you are first happy with the sound of the TX0RP Mk3 with whatever setup you have to drive them. I was thinking of selling off my T40RP's because they really weren't that special sounding (preferred the SHP9500's). Then I finally tried them on my newer dynamic rig and they just about floored me right of the bat from that system...
They need power and warmth - the more watts the better, close to 3 Watts @ 50 ohms rating with a warm leaning Class A amp and you will be more than good. They will open up and really come alive, with subbass rivaling a modded TH-X00PH.

Jul 16, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #30 of 1,323
Would a Schiit Jotunheim be enough to drive these? I ordered mine with the balanced mod. Balanced Headphone Output: Maximum Power, 50 ohms: 3000mW RMS per channel via Jotunheim. I don't think it's class A though. Been thinking about an Emotiva BASX A-100. Would that be a better choice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back