Modhouse Audio Argon - T50RP MK2/3 & T60RP
Feb 11, 2024 at 12:05 AM Post #1,306 of 1,323
I haven’t used my Argon MK2 in years on my main setup, but I plugged them into my Schiit Mjolnir 3 tonight out of curiosity. They sound incredible on this amp! I’ve also got a Yggdrasil A2 now, so my setup is exponentially better than the last time I used these headphones. I just had no idea they’d scale so well. To my utter disbelief, they totally hold their own with my ZMF Atrium Closed and Meze Elite.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2024 at 6:17 AM Post #1,307 of 1,323
I haven’t used my Argon MK2 in years on my main setup, but I plugged them into my Schiit Mjolnir 3 tonight out of curiosity. They sound incredible on this amp! I’ve also got a Yggdrasil A2 now, so my setup is exponentially better than the last time I used these headphones. I just had no idea they’d scale so well. To my utter disbelief, they totally hold their own with my ZMF Atrium Closed and Meze Elite.
To say that I am a Fostex fan would be an understatement.
I have the following...
Dekoni Blue - T50RP 50th anniversary - T60RP - T60RP Modhouse - ZMF Classic (Zach's first headphones. Modified T50RP MKIII) - Mr. Speakers (Dan Clark Audio) Alpha Prime (Dan's modified T50RP MKIII) - TH610'S with Lawton mods and cups - TH900 Mk2s with Lawton mods and cups.
I also have a pair of ZMF Atticus.
I like all the headphones or I wouldn't keep them. That being said, none of the T50 or T60 variants are as good as the ZMF Atticus, much less the Atrium Closed (which I have also owned). None of them can match the detail retrieval.
Now, I think the T60RP Modhouse are more fun (nicely V shaped) than the Atticus but the quality/accuracy of the sound being reproduced is not close to that of the Atticus.

Not to derail this thread too much... I prefer the TH900 Mk2s to all of the cans I currently own or have owned.

My front end is an SMSL D400EX DAC and a Burson Soloist 3XP amplifier with 3A supercharger power supply. I use the FiiO R7 or a WiiM Pro as a streamer.

Feb 14, 2024 at 7:46 AM Post #1,308 of 1,323
Got my Modhouse T60RPs a few days ago. I have been using their pads on a stock pair of T60's for a few months. The stock pair with the Modhouse pads are about 85% as good as the full Modhouse T60's. Some slight differences with the full mods but probably not worth the money and the time. Just order the pads and enjoy. Save yourself $125 and 10 weeks of waiting.

Feb 14, 2024 at 7:58 AM Post #1,309 of 1,323
Got my Modhouse T60RPs a few days ago. I have been using their pads on a stock pair of T60's for a few months. The stock pair with the Modhouse pads are about 85% as good as the full Modhouse T60's. Some slight differences with the full mods but probably not worth the money and the time. Just order the pads and enjoy. Save yourself $125 and 10 weeks of waiting.
Glad to see some insightful feedback regarding a stock pair of T60RP's vs a pair of Modhouse T60RP's.
I own a stock pair of T60RP's and along with my Hifiman HE4XX and Fostex T50RP MK 3, consider them to represent the law of diminishing returns for planar magnetic headphones. I believe the same is true of my Sennheiser HD 600 and HD 6XX as they pertain to dynamic headphones. 👍

Feb 14, 2024 at 8:16 AM Post #1,311 of 1,323
You need to try the Fostex 610's or 900's. You'll be surprised to hear what you are missing with the Senny's.
You need to try the Fostex 610's or 900's. You'll be surprised to hear what you are missing with the Senny's.
Given that the 610's retail for around $700 and the 900's for more than twice that, these headphones are in a different
league price wise from the Sennheisers . I paid $130 for my HD600's and $160 for my HD6XX's (both lightly used) and would have a difficult time justifying the significant price difference. Even if there's subtle improvements. The Sennheisers do have the ability to scale amazingly well with better gear and IMHO that's why they still remain so popular decades after they were first introduced. Of course this hobby is very subjective and there are many enthusiasts who enjoy the Fostex headphones you mentioned. As long as these products get you closer to the music you enjoy that's what counts.👍

Feb 14, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #1,312 of 1,323
I paid about $425 for my 610s and $800 for my 900s. Pre-owned of course. I added the Lawton mods, pads and new cups to both. Sound much better than in their stock form and are 1000% better looking.

Feb 18, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #1,313 of 1,323
Given that the 610's retail for around $700 and the 900's for more than twice that, these headphones are in a different
league price wise from the Sennheisers . I paid $130 for my HD600's and $160 for my HD6XX's (both lightly used) and would have a difficult time justifying the significant price difference. Even if there's subtle improvements. The Sennheisers do have the ability to scale amazingly well with better gear and IMHO that's why they still remain so popular decades after they were first introduced. Of course this hobby is very subjective and there are many enthusiasts who enjoy the Fostex headphones you mentioned. As long as these products get you closer to the music you enjoy that's what counts.👍
I've heard that the clamping force of the hd6xx is brutsl (and a lesser extent but still bad on the 600). I am super sensitive to this and like the fostex as your can bend the headband to give very light clamping force. Do you notice this issue with senn?

My t60rps arrived in the states for argonisation. I was told the wait is currently 8 weeks. Very interested to open them up on return to see what they did.

Feb 18, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #1,314 of 1,323
I've heard that the clamping force of the hd6xx is brutsl (and a lesser extent but still bad on the 600). I am super sensitive to this and like the fostex as your can bend the headband to give very light clamping force. Do you notice this issue with senn?

My t60rps arrived in the states for argonisation. I was told the wait is currently 8 weeks. Very interested to open them up on return to see what they did.
I purchased my HD600 and HD6XX used (so they were likely at least somewhat loosened up by the previous owners) and have never found the clamping to be an issue. In fact IME both headphones are comfortable to wear for extended periods of time. For comparison sake, the most comfortable pair of headphones I own are Audioquest Nighthawk Carbons. They have a reputation for being extremely comfortable based on the suspended ear pad system the headphone employs.

In contrast, the Fostex T50RP MK3 is one of the less comfortable headphones I own due to its shallow headphone pads. I conclude that it's the headphone pads because my Fostex T60RP is a similar design but has deeper headphone pads that offer greater comfort.

I would also be interested in learning what physical changes Modhouse makes to the T60RP and how much they charge for these modifications.

Moreover, are the changes really that significant from an objective standpoint (do they measure better than the standard
T60RP) or is the improvement subjective in nature?

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #1,315 of 1,323
About 80% of the improvement is due to the modhouse pads. I have the standard T60RP and the Modhouse version. Put the Modhouse pads on the stock T60s and gave it a listen. Like I said, 80% of the complete Modhouse mods.

Feb 18, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #1,316 of 1,323
About 80% of the improvement is due to the modhouse pads. I have the standard T60RP and the Modhouse version. Put the Modhouse pads on the stock T60s and gave it a listen. Like I said, 80% of the complete Modhouse mods.
Can you tell us what actual internal physical modifications are performed on the Modhouse version of the T60RP?

Feb 18, 2024 at 3:03 PM Post #1,317 of 1,323
Can you tell us what actual internal physical modifications are performed on the Modhouse version of the T60RP?
I didn't pull the drivers out yet. There are a few pieces of new felt/foam around and on top of the driver. I'll pull them apart and take some pics soon.

Feb 18, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #1,318 of 1,323
I didn't pull the drivers out yet. There are a few pieces of new felt/foam around and on top of the driver. I'll pull them apart and take some pics soon.
Thanks!

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #1,319 of 1,323
In case anyone reading this thread is like me and is wondering whether to get the Xenon pads for their T60 Argons that currently have ZMF pads - I really dislike what the baffles did to the sound. Everything became muffled and blunted to the point where I would choose other headphones. I was really disappointed for a couple days after installing the Xenons, but then I took the baffles out and everything was back to the way it sounded before. The pads do give a better bass and soundstage as advertised and that part is great, but avoid the baffles at all costs imo. If your pair had Xenons installed when you got them, try removing the baffles!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back