Modding the Sennheiser pc350 headset
May 1, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #196 of 508
k guys i'm tried this mod. I'm able to take off the cover on the right side of the head phone. Did the 3 holes. However i can't seem to take off the cover on the left side. I've removed the tape where the screw is hidden but it still doesn't want to come off. Anyone have the same issuse as me?

May 2, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #197 of 508
I had that same problem... until I realized there were TWO screws where the tape was. Look carefully. There's one standard sized screw and a smaller one next to it. It's kinda hard to spot though.

I almost broke mine trying to pry it till I came across the second one.

May 2, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #200 of 508
You're welcome =)

Clearly, Sennheiser didn't want us opening their headphones up
o2smile.gif

May 2, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #201 of 508
caution to all!

there seems to be a rash of cheap pc350 headphones on ebay shipped from china. are they real? doubt it....

May 4, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #202 of 508
Yeah, I've seen them. I've also seen Chinese wholesaler web sites giving them in bulk at $30 a pop for a minimum of 10 pieces.

I'm pretty curious as to whether they're fake... must be right? I wanna buy a pair just to take it apart and see if the Chinese did their homework :p

By the way, I got mine off eBay as well but I made sure I got it off a US seller...

May 7, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #203 of 508
Just finished modding mine.
They sound much better, I can actually feel the bass now.

And yeah, I had the same problem as omishi. Thought there was only one hidden screw. Ended up pulling at it for a good two minutes before I realized it just wasn't coming off.

May 9, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #204 of 508
Although you guys already figured out the screws & what-not about opening the cans, I'll post this message here;

(I thought I had posted this here, but then I remembered it was just an email that I replied to. Unfortunate for some of you 
triportsad.gif
)

Quote:
Hey,

You inquired about opening the Sennheiser PC 350 cups for modding.

Firstly, after pulling the earpads off the cups you aren't going to see all the screws,
because some of them are covered with black foam-tape. Unfortunately,
I don't remember which ones were originally covered, I've removed the
tape from my headset as I've opened them up quite a many times.

Secondly, there are a different number of screws in the two cups,
and the screws also come in two different sizes.

I opened mine up and counted them up;
In the left cup, which is the microphone side, there are 5 big screws and 2 small screws.
And the right cup has 4 big screws and 1 small screw.

The screws can be pretty tight at first and the driver enclosure can stick to the cup pretty hard,
just use caution and don't rush it, also beware the wires connecting from the enclosure to the cup.

I hope this helped.
Have fun with the mod! :wink:
-Jaawa

May 27, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #205 of 508
I've been having some problems with the inline remote causing static/cut out on 1 channel of audio. Anyone else having these issues after pro-longed use?

May 28, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #206 of 508

Quote:
I've been having some problems with the inline remote causing static/cut out on 1 channel of audio. Anyone else having these issues after pro-longed use?

Can you discribe the problem in more detail? -something like that should not happen unless you repeatedly ran them over with a truck or something. Sure its not your audio source or something down the line. Might be interesting for the QA guys that work on that product to look at. If they think so they give you a new one when you send it in.

May 28, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #207 of 508
BTW did anyone see that SennCom got the new 3D dongle thingies up  http://www.sennheisercommunications.com/comm/home_en.nsf/root/headsets_PCs_gaming_504126?Open&row=2
- Been testing that stuff for ages now and helped them with some game testing (I love that part of my job).... headset's nothing special IMO but I'm using one of these dongles my self and I really like them since I don't have room for a surround setup currently and like how you can turn the Dolby Headphone on and off just but flicking the dongle and when its off for music its pretty good. Push it on with movies or games like Bad Company 2 Single Player japan theater part and your in for a movie theater level blast in my experience
biggrin.gif
 - Think the first time you saw the Omaha beach scene in Saving Private Ryan in theaters - thats what I'd would compare it too with good sounding games like BC2. I'm using mine with a Headroom amp for heavy stuff like PC350. BTW they might sometime in the distant future release one with amp power to cover PC350 and such - hence why they don't bundle that dongle with PC350 currently. But this I tried and liked also: http://www.slipperybrick.com/2010/03/asus-xonar-xense-soundcard-with-sennheiser-pc350-headset/
Ohh and I know.... That claim of 360 coverage is just PR bulll.... Talked with their PR guys and they are sorry for having to write 360 degrees surround when Head-Related-Transfer-Functions generalized and real-time use as in this case can't ever for this budget come near 360 coverage. But its a case of PR arms race that when someone else wrights 360 on the package these PR guys believe they have too do so also else they be bested in the random consumers mind. I'd describe Dolby Headphone in this version more as a good surround for movies. And for games you can clearly heard the "360" lacking in the rear, as all HRTF versions of this kind does that doesn't cost 1 and a half arm. Its like 90-120 degrees in the back have huge issues with clear pin point positioning of steps or gunfire etc. and this has to do front-back confusions and other stuff that are very hard to solve even with unlimited money and individual personal measured HRTF's in systems like fighter pilots have.

May 28, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #209 of 508

Quote:
Can you discribe the problem in more detail? -something like that should not happen unless you repeatedly ran them over with a truck or something. Sure its not your audio source or something down the line. Might be interesting for the QA guys that work on that product to look at. If they think so they give you a new one when you send it in.

I don't know if genpatton7 is having the same problems I had, but:

On a few occasions dust & "sand" got into the volume dial of the remote in the cable, and this caused static-like sound distortions, along with clicks and cuts, but these symptoms came only after it got worse, at first it was just the other channel going wild each time I played something with loud lows, sounded like something rattling in the can. I feared that the speaker element came loose or something, that the speaker was physically damaged. But, I'm glad I was wrong. Everything got fixed by cleansing the remote, blowing air into the volume dial and using some electronics cleaner stuff.

Other than that, I've met no problems with this headset what-so-ever, even though I've modded them and opened them multiple times and done this-and-that to them with trying different mod settings.
Just take care of your cans, give them maintenance at least by cleaning them, and you're good to go :)

May 28, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #210 of 508

Quote:
BTW did anyone see that SennCom got the new 3D dongle thingies up  http://www.sennheisercommunications.com/comm/home_en.nsf/root/headsets_PCs_gaming_504126?Open&row=2
- Been testing that stuff for ages now and helped them with some game testing (I love that part of my job).... headset's nothing special IMO but I'm using one of these dongles my self and I really like them since I don't have room for a surround setup currently and like how you can turn the Dolby Headphone on and off just but flicking the dongle and when its off for music its pretty good. Push it on with movies or games like Bad Company 2 Single Player japan theater part and your in for a movie theater level blast in my experience
biggrin.gif
 - Think the first time you saw the Omaha beach scene in Saving Private Ryan in theaters - thats what I'd would compare it too with good sounding games like BC2. I'm using mine with a Headroom amp for heavy stuff like PC350. BTW they might sometime in the distant future release one with amp power to cover PC350 and such - hence why they don't bundle that dongle with PC350 currently. But this I tried and liked also: http://www.slipperybrick.com/2010/03/asus-xonar-xense-soundcard-with-sennheiser-pc350-headset/
Ohh and I know.... That claim of 360 coverage is just PR bulll.... Talked with their PR guys and they are sorry for having to write 360 degrees surround when Head-Related-Transfer-Functions generalized and real-time use as in this case can't ever for this budget come near 360 coverage. But its a case of PR arms race that when someone else wrights 360 on the package these PR guys believe they have too do so also else they be bested in the random consumers mind. I'd describe Dolby Headphone in this version more as a good surround for movies. And for games you can clearly heard the "360" lacking in the rear, as all HRTF versions of this kind does that doesn't cost 1 and a half arm. Its like 90-120 degrees in the back have huge issues with clear pin point positioning of steps or gunfire etc. and this has to do front-back confusions and other stuff that are very hard to solve even with unlimited money and individual personal measured HRTF's in systems like fighter pilots have.

Very interesting, that dongle-thing has completely passed me by. Thanks for all the info & sharing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back