Modding the Sennheiser pc350 headset
May 29, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #211 of 508
     Quote:
Gamerphile said:

Can you discribe the problem in more detail? -something like that should not happen unless you repeatedly ran them over with a truck or something. Sure its not your audio source or something down the line. Might be interesting for the QA guys that work on that product to look at. If they think so they give you a new one when you send it in.

The issue is exactly as sabreenrz describes below:

Quote:
sabreenrz said:

I have that same issue sometimes. I have to roll the sound controls back and forth a bit before I get stereo again... strange.

Exactly, the right channel seems to cut out if the remote is jostled and then I will have to adjust the volume controls slightly to bring it back into stereo. When I'm adjusting the volume controller I hear static as well.

Quote:

I don't know if genpatton7 is having the same problems I had, but:

On a few occasions dust & "sand" got into the volume dial of the remote in the cable, and this caused static-like sound distortions, along with clicks and cuts, but these symptoms came only after it got worse, at first it was just the other channel going wild each time I played something with loud lows, sounded like something rattling in the can. I feared that the speaker element came loose or something, that the speaker was physically damaged. But, I'm glad I was wrong. Everything got fixed by cleansing the remote, blowing air into the volume dial and using some electronics cleaner stuff.

Other than that, I've met no problems with this headset what-so-ever, even though I've modded them and opened them multiple times and done this-and-that to them with trying different mod settings.
Just take care of your cans, give them maintenance at least by cleaning them, and you're good to go :)

I will try using a computer duster to clean out the remote, thanks Jaawa and everyone else for their input!

Jun 12, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #212 of 508
Hi , i have an pc350 , but the bass , and space it's really sucky!
That why i am interested to use this mood . But i dont have a electronic drill , how can i do this mood in a safe way ?
 thxxx

Jun 12, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #213 of 508

Quote:
Hi , i have an pc350 , but the bass , and space it's really sucky!
That why i am interested to use this mood . But i dont have a electronic drill , how can i do this mood in a safe way ?
 thxxx

Heat up a nail or similar pointy metal object and melt the holes instead of drilling them, the melting method has been used a few times and people have talked about it on this thread :)

Jun 13, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #214 of 508
Thx , i have now 2 holes on each side , 2.4mm . But the bass is too much , how can i reduce it ? by putting cotton? i have try it , when i put too much cotton the sound sound like the high and mid cant come out , but the bass it's reduce ...
any suggestion to make a great balance?:D

Jun 13, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #215 of 508

Quote:
Thx , i have now 2 holes on each side , 2.4mm . But the bass is too much , how can i reduce it ? by putting cotton? i have try it , when i put too much cotton the sound sound like the high and mid cant come out , but the bass it's reduce ...
any suggestion to make a great balance?:D

Experiment with the amount of cotton you put it, and try sealing half the holes with tape. It's all about balancing the amount of cotton with the combined diameter of the holes. You might also want to try placing the holes & cotton in different places, we've seen different placements produce somewhat different experiences in this thread already. It's all about being a mad scientist, go wild on the testing and have fun :)

Jun 13, 2010 at 10:09 AM Post #216 of 508
also try pulling the cotton apart to make it 'fluffy'

Jun 14, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #218 of 508

Quote:
Hello!
(Sorry for bad english)

Does the modded PC350 have a so good sound, like the modded (foam remove) HD555?

Thank you!

are you asking if the difference between the modded pc350 and the unmodded pc350 the same as the unmodded/modded HD555, or if the modded pc350 sound as good as a modded HD555? 
From my experience the PC350 is a bad headset, and sounds much worse than the hd555. The mod isn't such a great improvement IMO as well, as it just does what a good eq could do to the bass, only involves drilling holes.

Jun 14, 2010 at 11:26 AM Post #219 of 508

Quote:
 The mod isn't such a great improvement IMO as well, as it just does what a good eq could do to the bass, only involves drilling holes.

omg! not even close to reality. using any amount of eq and amping- which i did- cant even come close to what this mod does for bass on the pc350

Jun 14, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #221 of 508

Quote:
Ok, then maybe so. But i did your mod, and the bass got a lot bigger in quantity, but it also got very muddy.

And you've done how much experimenting with dampening & different setups with the holes?
My initial experience with this mod was that it greatly increases the bass, which was awesome and exactly what I was looking for, but muddy it was, and through trial & error tryouts, I found out I could control the sound by testing how the dampening/filling would affect the outcome.

This isn't a mod about just throwing a few holes here and there, and maybe swinging a bunch of cotton or somesuch wool in there to make a great headset. This is a mod about doing the necessary modding work to find out how to get the sound you want.

Use your own ears, come up with your own mod setup, it needs work - though for some the basic setups shown in this thread will do just fine. Experiment with it man, experiment.

Jun 15, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #222 of 508
I am curios is modding your PC350 really necessary? This headset is meant for gaming but IMO with proper burning and proper power this cans does shine. A lot of people judge the PC350 out of the can or they are not providing enough power to it. If you look at specs for the PC350 you will see it is a power hungry can. Do a little test if you have a reciever plug it in and you will see what this can suppose to sound like. I notice big big difference when I plug in my PC350 to my Onkyo TX-NR708. I bought the PC350 for XBOX360 game play and my Astro Mix amp just does not power it correctly so I bought the E7 (which I just got today) and let me tell you this can is really something. Sound quality,positioning and soundstage is PHENOMENAL. As far as bass I did not mod my PC350 but it does give me good bass (burning in song- I loaded it with house music that really beats and lossens the cones) and also thanks to the E7's bass boost. I do own other headsets TB HPA2,AD700,595 and they all sound great but for gaming and voice chat clarity IMO PC350 is a good all-round gaming cans.

Speaking of the FiiO E7 they are out on Amazon and Micca and this baby is sexy.

Jun 16, 2010 at 6:42 AM Post #223 of 508
Hey i've had these for years now, they're in pretty rough shape and I somehow doubt they're covered under warrenty anymore. Any way of getting parts for these things? All the pleather is ruined, and the mic stopped working, brand new to this place but I'm not just posting this either i am very curious to the above post, aswell this mod and if any of it is worth it or if all things considered above should i just trash them and get new cans.

Jun 16, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #224 of 508

Quote:
I am curios is modding your PC350 really necessary? This headset is meant for gaming but IMO with proper burning and proper power this cans does shine. A lot of people judge the PC350 out of the can or they are not providing enough power to it. If you look at specs for the PC350 you will see it is a power hungry can. Do a little test if you have a reciever plug it in and you will see what this can suppose to sound like. I notice big big difference when I plug in my PC350 to my Onkyo TX-NR708. I bought the PC350 for XBOX360 game play and my Astro Mix amp just does not power it correctly so I bought the E7 (which I just got today) and let me tell you this can is really something. Sound quality,positioning and soundstage is PHENOMENAL. As far as bass I did not mod my PC350 but it does give me good bass (burning in song- I loaded it with house music that really beats and lossens the cones) and also thanks to the E7's bass boost. I do own other headsets TB HPA2,AD700,595 and they all sound great but for gaming and voice chat clarity IMO PC350 is a good all-round gaming cans.

Speaking of the FiiO E7 they are out on Amazon and Micca and this baby is sexy.

The PC 350 uses the HD 595 driver, which isn't that powerhungry. Sure it benefits from a good amp, but these can be driven nicely with a proper soundcard alone - the thing is, you only need the mod
dt880smile.png

But really, I burned mine in, used them for 1 year, had my Meier-Audio CORDA OPERA running them, and still the bass wasn't there, the sound was too fragile, a bit bright, a bit too clear. So I did the Hero's Mod and these PC 350's were reborn.

All it comes down to is: your own ears. Some of us like a specific type of oompf, for me, only the mod brough it.
Though you can always reverse this mod quite easily, just put tape on the holes and take the cotton away, back to vanilla! :)

Jun 16, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #225 of 508

Quote:
Hey i've had these for years now, they're in pretty rough shape and I somehow doubt they're covered under warrenty anymore. Any way of getting parts for these things? All the pleather is ruined, and the mic stopped working, brand new to this place but I'm not just posting this either i am very curious to the above post, aswell this mod and if any of it is worth it or if all things considered above should i just trash them and get new cans.

Sure you can order parts for any Sennheiser product as far as I know, check if your local Sennheiser-selling shops can help you out with repairs/ordering new parts.
I've gotta say, you've done a bad job at keeping your headset safe, I mean, they can only be about two years old, treat them better man, they deserve it, they're Senns.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back