Modding the Sennheiser pc350 headset
Mar 6, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #166 of 508
PC 360 eh? Hmmm...Kind of regretting jumping on these now. I wonder when they'll be available...I really don't need the benefits of closed headphones so I think they'd be a lot more suited to my tastes.

Mar 6, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #167 of 508
Whoah, nice find! I don't know who at sennheiser decided to make the headset closed in the first place. It's like they drilled a hole in their own boat (pun intended) with the PC 350. This might actually be a recommendable headset, depending on the price...Honestly, with their pricing, Beyer kinda killed the consumer value of their MMX 300. Sennheiser, on the other hand, spends the advertising money in the right places to still get units sold. After all, we all bought a 350, right? :p

Mar 9, 2010 at 11:52 AM Post #168 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sambones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoah, nice find! I don't know who at sennheiser decided to make the headset closed in the first place. It's like they drilled a hole in their own boat (pun intended) with the PC 350. This might actually be a recommendable headset, depending on the price...Honestly, with their pricing, Beyer kinda killed the consumer value of their MMX 300. Sennheiser, on the other hand, spends the advertising money in the right places to still get units sold. After all, we all bought a 350, right? :p

350 can be better for gaming only for a number of reasons - think I heard the only reason they didn't put active guard noise reduction in them was you can't her your buddy at LAN partys/tournaments. But yeah there is a strong open ended CAN tech in Senn...

Mar 14, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #169 of 508
I think with this mod + velour pads the PC 350 potentially becomes the PC 360. Unless that new headset has different drivers. I mean, these are pretty much like open headphones, the HD 595 velour pads breathe so much and they don't isolate much noice. Anyhow, so far I don't see why a PC 350 owner should go for the new PC 360 ..and I kinda hope I'm right (otherwise I need to buy a new headset)
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #170 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaawa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think with this mod + velour pads the PC 350 potentially becomes the PC 360. Unless that new headset has different drivers. I mean, these are pretty much like open headphones, the HD 595 velour pads breathe so much and they don't isolate much noice. Anyhow, so far I don't see why a PC 350 owner should go for the new PC 360 ..and I kinda hope I'm right (otherwise I need to buy a new headset)
biggrin.gif

Sorry but there is a lot more too it - the basic design is way different and the holes / lack of back on a open ended plus all the other stuff is indeed not at all just random fidles but results of loads of heavy engineering and acustic experts tests.

-also the mic' when up mutes the mic' and volume is on the side of the head and such...

Mar 16, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #171 of 508
Sounds pretty good. I am happy with my unmodded PC350 through my Astro mixamp for now. Wouldn't mind trying the new open set one day.

Mar 16, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #172 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamerphile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry but there is a lot more too it - the basic design is way different and the holes / lack of back on a open ended plus all the other stuff is indeed not at all just random fidles but results of loads of heavy engineering and acustic experts tests.

-also the mic' when up mutes the mic' and volume is on the side of the head and such...

Yeah seems like it, dammit I want to try out that headset soon
tongue.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #174 of 508
Haha wow! Barely a month after I mod mine up, here comes the new version with everything we've been trying to accomplish in this thread already done for us. What a crazy outcome.

I wonder what the pricing will be like?

Mar 19, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #175 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by Porter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha wow! Barely a month after I mod mine up, here comes the new version with everything we've been trying to accomplish in this thread already done for us. What a crazy outcome.

I wonder what the pricing will be like?

A little more than PC350 since its PC360 I'm being told
wink.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #177 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by Porter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Har har. Like... 10 more?
L3000.gif

Maybe it's like 14 more since the 360 has got the G4ME tag too
beerchug.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #178 of 508
Jaawa;5841074 said:
Thank you ourfpshero! This mod really does work, I mean REALLY. I drilled 11 smallish holes into the plastic inner casing, first on the right-side earpiece only, to compare the difference with a few bass-left/right-equalized tracks ... and boy was there a difference!

I modded the other earpiece too, and then tested, nice bass, there's really a lot of more oompf to these cans with such a neat little mod. Then I wanted to control the bass a bit more, it was maybe a tad too much colored. I stuffed the cans with clothing filler wool, and that really did the trick, more control, no overblown flapping. After a while, I found myself wanting a bit of air, the pleather earpads isolate so much that the renewed bass started to feel a bit overpowering. So I fetched a pair of HD 595 velour pads, and they're a perfect fit, easing the flow of the lows, giving a fresh breath of HD 595-like feel to the PC 350.

So yeah, I am very very happy with this mod, the wool and the 595 pads, my PC 350 have never sounded so awesome! They're now what closed 595's should sound like IMHO

So a little advice? I've heard 1 hole, 3, 11, cotton/wool, no cotton or wool.... I dont find the PC 350 horrible but my comparisons are turtle beach hpx and senn hd280's. They have their pros and cons to both. I find the bass to be lacking of course but also think that its not quite as tight as the 280's. Also i find the highs can get ear piercing in modern warfare 2. Would a good place to start be one hole and some cotton or maybe other damping material?

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #179 of 508
Oops that didn't quote right. Sorry guys im posting from my phone and these are my first on any forum really. But pretty much just looking to see if the cotton will help tighten up the bottom end and possibly take some edge off the top mid/highs (for music it didn't sound bad at all so I hope it wont take too much from it). Also im thinking one hole is will be fine start with as you can always add more. Any input would great. Thanks guys, great thread!

Mar 24, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #180 of 508
glad it worked out for you. i started the mod, but several peeps here improved on it and kept it going. always report your findings and pics always help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back