Modding the Sennheiser pc350 headset
Feb 13, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #151 of 508
start small. try one hole 1st and work your way up.

Feb 14, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #152 of 508
Kinda a first post here from a long-time lurker. A question for you guys: how far can this headset get on mods? Like, if I can pick a pair up for <$110, would that be a decent deal when modded compared to a Shure 840 at ~$200.

Also, Jaawa, could you comment on how the XMod with and without a FiiO e5 treats the PC350? I happen to have both, along with a low-end Hot Audio DAC.

I really want the convenience of a headset, and I love how the PXC 350 frame looks. So, the possibility of getting both without the commensurate cost of tin-can ears is quite attractive.

I haven't done anything with my sig yet, but I currently have a soon-to-be-recabled CAL! (150+ hours) and a Sony V6 set (70+ hours), along with an assortment of low-fi headsets/phones.

Feb 14, 2010 at 5:12 AM Post #154 of 508
i have an xmod. its stronger than an e5 -use the line out instead of the headphone out

Feb 14, 2010 at 6:50 AM Post #155 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by beamthegreat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will this mod work for the PXC350?

Uhm, that'd be a no. The issue here is that the PC 350's have a tiny internal sealed cup that creates a MUCH smaller sized enclosure. The primary mod here is putting a hole in that tiny enclosure, freeing the air to move around in the whole thing.

So, the XMod can drive the PC 350? And how come you recommend using the line-out?

Feb 14, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #156 of 508
try the line out compared to the headphone out. the line out is much stronger!

Feb 15, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #157 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
start small. try one hole 1st and work your way up.

What happen to the motto go big or go home
biggrin.gif
ops,wrong motto

Will do. One hole first and see how that sounds.

What size of drill bit should I use?

Has anyone used different sizes of holes/drillbit? If they did could you point me to that post.

So much info on in this thread that it looks like I need to read it agian
frown.gif

Feb 22, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #159 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sambones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, Jaawa, could you comment on how the XMod with and without a FiiO e5 treats the PC350? I happen to have both, along with a low-end Hot Audio DAC.

Hey there, yeah the PC 350 can be nicely driven with the Creative XMod, they don't benefit that much from adding the FiiO E5 into the mix, but the boost to the lows from the E5 is very welcome, as it is so sophisticated. As vanilla (that is; non-modded) the PC 350 don't benefit from big amps, but with the mods they seem to come even more alive with my Meier-Audio OPERA. Though I've yet to find the real synergy pairs for this headphone, as the source the XMod does seem to handle things fairly well.

Perhaps someone will find the true pairs before me, as I'm financially very very restricted right now. I dream of a Xonar Essence ST with a whole bunch of DACs and desktop amps
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 5:11 AM Post #160 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by Porter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used 3/32" and it worked well, take a look at my post #143.

Thanks!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaawa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps someone will find the true pairs before me, as I'm financially very very restricted right now. I dream of a Xonar Essence ST with a whole bunch of DACs and desktop amps
smily_headphones1.gif

I'll settle for one desktop amp
normal_smile .gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #161 of 508
Just got these headphones in today. Pretty unimpressed...they sound a lot like the HD 280s which I didn't care for much either. The bass response is a tad light, and lacks punch. The worst aspect though is the fact that there's no forward sound stage at all...I can't see Dolby Headphone working very well with these. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Still, I'm going to let my ears warm to them first. Also, I have an Asus Xonar Essence STX coming in next week so we'll see if that makes a big difference or not.

I also have a pair of Ultrasone HFI-580 which sound absolutely phenomenal for gaming, but they clamp a bit too tight and the pads a tad uncomfortable (over sessions greater than 2 hours that is.)...maybe I should see if I can mod those.

edit: I don't think I'm going to do the mod. The bass is there...it's just uncontrolled. I don't really want it stronger, I'd just want it to be punchier. This mod doesn't seem like it will give me what I want here. I guess I'm too used to the HFI-580, which have the best bass I've ever heard in a pair of headphones.

Mar 5, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #162 of 508
I bought a set of PC350's tonight, not having read any reviews on them (I went to get the G35's but I got these at a steal, and couldn't say no)...I came home, happy, hooked them up and became sad quickly

sounded horrible IMO...no bass, at all, so I googled to see if it was common, and found this thread...

I was hesitant, I could just go get the G35's and call it a day...but I opened them up anyways...I made 1 small hole with a 1/16th DB...put it all back together, and put on a few songs

WOW!
anyone who's thinking about doing it...stop thinking and do it

taking them apart is a joke, and it makes a world of difference

now I just need to break them in

Thanks to OP!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ex0du5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
edit: I don't think I'm going to do the mod. The bass is there...it's just uncontrolled. I don't really want it stronger, I'd just want it to be punchier. This mod doesn't seem like it will give me what I want here. I guess I'm too used to the HFI-580, which have the best bass I've ever heard in a pair of headphones.

regarding the bass being loose, it sounds even worse after the mod IMO...again these are new and not broken in, but ya, they def don't feel tight

since you're local, you're welcome to listen to them with the mod if you'd like, shoot me a PM if you want to do that

Mar 5, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #163 of 508
Anyone tried the new open PC360 yet - compared to PC350 vanilla or mod? Haven't had time to compare as I don't have my own PC360 yet - not sure I want when I also have HD 800. The latters lack of mic is just a problem when gaming
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2010 at 2:26 PM Post #164 of 508
wow thats new- it says its an open headphone, which i actually prefer in a headset. now who wants to buy one 1st?

Mar 5, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #165 of 508
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow thats new- it says its an open headphone, which i actually prefer in a headset. now who wants to buy one 1st?

Ahh now I know why... Only released this week - well guess broad availability is up in the air still. Having know this was coming for ages I just assumed it was me who was slow
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back