Modding the Sennheiser pc350 headset
Mar 10, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #376 of 508
Has anyone here had any experience sourcing replacement drivers for these cans? Or alternatives that would fit?

My reason for asking is 2 fold.
  1: In case I destroy my drivers playing with my headphone amps.
  2: Another member of the forum has managed to destroy one of his drivers, performing a much more extreme mod, and has been quoted $220 for replacement drivers from Sennheiser. In this case any 38mm replacement driver would do, if the originals cannot be sourced for less.

I do feel for the guy and would like to help. I like my Sen's so much I can really appreciate how he must be feeling right now. The mod he was attempting is rather ambitious and would be a nice addition to these forums. Any help in getting a replacement transducer for a reasonable cost would be of great reward for us all and much appreciated no doubt. 

Has anyone got a some trashed or unused they are willing to part with for a reasonable cost? He only needs one working driver, and is willing to replace with any pair of 38mm drivers if needs be. With his permission I will PM you his details so you can contact directly.

Regards
David

Mar 11, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #378 of 508

Quote:
Has anyone here had any experience sourcing replacement drivers for these cans? Or alternatives that would fit?

My reason for asking is 2 fold.
  1: In case I destroy my drivers playing with my headphone amps.
  2: Another member of the forum has managed to destroy one of his drivers, performing a much more extreme mod, and has been quoted $220 for replacement drivers from Sennheiser. In this case any 38mm replacement driver would do, if the originals cannot be sourced for less.

I do feel for the guy and would like to help. I like my Sen's so much I can really appreciate how he must be feeling right now. The mod he was attempting is rather ambitious and would be a nice addition to these forums. Any help in getting a replacement transducer for a reasonable cost would be of great reward for us all and much appreciated no doubt. 

Has anyone got a some trashed or unused they are willing to part with for a reasonable cost? He only needs one working driver, and is willing to replace with any pair of 38mm drivers if needs be. With his permission I will PM you his details so you can contact directly.

Regards
David

How nice is David? I am the poor sod who messed up one of my drivers, lol! I was trying to take the smaller, inner cover off of the driver to expose it for re-wiring. My goal is to re-wire this bad boy for balanced operation. As I have a balanced amp, I thought it would be a good idea. Well, as anyone who has tried to take this cover off knows, it is glued on there like white on rice.

My first approach was to try to pry it off. I quickly ruled that out, as it would not budge, and I learned a long time ago that forcing these things inevitably winds up with me breaking them,
biggrin.gif
lol. So, my second idea was to try to heat up the glue, then pry it off. Well, it worked brilliantly for the first one, but the second one got a little too hot, and melted part of the driver!
eek.gif

Which is where my friend David came in, as I asked him if he knew of any potential replacement drivers. He posted on here in order to help me, while thoughtfully with holding my name, as he didn't want to embarrass me. Well, I appreciate that very much, but I am able to laugh at myself easily, and am not embarrassed at all.

Bottom line, if anyone is selling a pair, or has a busted pair with at least one good driver, I would be willing to buy it (depending on the price). 

Thanks very much you guys!

Take care,
Matt

Mar 25, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #380 of 508
Hi!

I just registered to add to that already awesome thread. I am nowhere near an audiophile, but well, I've been listing to music 7 hours a day for years now, been watching plenty of movies on my computer and I'm always playing the latest PC games, all that using headphones only. I've owned about 15 pairs I consider "worthy", but mostly in the 40-150$ range, as a student I can't afford much more. To give you an idea, my favorite headphones are still my trusty Senns HD 485, and I even find they sound even better as years go by...

So I was looking for a new pair with an integrated mic as my standalone was slowly dying (yes, apparently mics can die...). I read reviews, did my homework and ended up stumbling upon these PC350 on NCIX while they had a sale going on, ended up paying about 110$ for them, which isnt a bad deal at all in Canada.

Great price, great packaging. Plugged them in my computer's Xonar DG soundcard (with built-in amp) and fired up BF3. First impression : complete, total junk. Went back to windows, tried some music. It was like almost no sound came out of em. I kept on trying adjusting settings, impedance, effects, but they sounded so hollow. The sound was very precise but had no soul, wasnt full at all. It's like Senn wanted us so much to hear every single footstep in game that they completely forgot about the whole sound experience that is needed to immerse ourselves in games (or music, movies).

I did not want to return them because I was using the mic. I then stumbled on this mod. I wouldnt have tried it on 1k headphones (I'll never have 1k headphones anyway :p), but on those, I had nothing to lose. I followed instruction here on head-fi, and I decided to make 2 holes on each side using a welder. Mind you, I wasnt exactly satisfied with the job, I'm not exactly handy with tools, but at least I managed to make comparable holes on both sides. I reassembled the headphones and gave them a second try.

Now, I don't understand why Sennheiser would not want them to sound like them in the first place. I can still hear every footstep, but everything is now full, louder, the sound stage is amazing, the bass is awesome. It's like they suddenly have more power, more openness. Well, obviously it is more open, you can hear quite a bit more of what is going on around you when the volume is low, and they can here a bit more too, so you lose the complete "closed" design. But it is completely worth it! I fired up BF3, and my gun firing now sounds like a gun firing, not like cricket in the distance or a paintball gun. Well, you get the picture.

Thank you again for this great mod!

Mar 26, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #381 of 508
Hi, I also joined this forum just to post on this thread 
biggrin.gif

I was just wondering if anyone has tried using a soldering iron to poke the holes in the cups? Or are the only methods drilling and heating a nail to poke through the cups? 

Thank you! 
smile.gif

Mar 26, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #382 of 508

Quote:
Hi, I also joined this forum just to post on this thread 
biggrin.gif

I was just wondering if anyone has tried using a soldering iron to poke the holes in the cups? Or are the only methods drilling and heating a nail to poke through the cups? 

Thank you! 
smile.gif

Hi,

A basic electric soldering iron is what I used to make holes. I was scared that punching or drilling holes would leave little pieces of material in the speaker casing. 

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #384 of 508
Just did the mod on the Pc 350, the difference between the unmodded and modded version was mindblowing!
I used a nail tied to a screwdriver to poke the holes, I heated it up using a candle.

Thanks to Hero for the great mod!

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #385 of 508
Just completed this mod using a screw driver and my kitchen stove.

I made 2 holes near the top of the driver housing, similar to the OP.

The difference is amazing, there is bass, real actual bass!  I had always been disappointed with this headset because of the lack of bass.  100% fixed.

I created an account just to post this. 3 cheers to the hero bass mod.

Apr 1, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #386 of 508
I just registered on this site because I really like what i am seeing and reading. Thanks for all the great advice and tweaks!

I have a question regarding the Asus Xonar_Xense version of the Sennheiser PC 350's . According to some e articles I have been reading the PC350's that come with the Xonar_Xense is already modified in some ways. Mine actually has very good bass atm, but what I was wondering is if this mod would make them even sound better?

I am going to disassemble them now and see what looks different if anything.

Thanks again!

also- Does anyone know if the upgraded OPAMPS are still available for the Xonar_Xense card?

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #387 of 508
I just got a xense, and it definately sounds differnet. I will open them up and see

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #388 of 508

Quote:

HD555/595 pads will fit perfectly, just like originals. Personally I just don't like the feel of them and use only when I need to hear something outside of the cups.

PXC450 are a bit tricky to put in place. They seem to click in position, but when pulled from correct side, they drop without any strength.
After installing PXC450 pads try to pull them from all sides to make sure they stay. Though I had one side loosely installed for more than a week before noticing, so the pads will still stay there quite well.

Thanks for that awesome answer :)   I like the originals. But they are pretty hot if you have them on you for a few hours.
The originals is made of skin, and thats a hot material.  And if im not wrong the HD555/595 is made of some sort of fabric.

And personaly i just think that would be more awesome when you have them a lot, like all day long :p
But ill try them out, and see what happens.

But thanks again. I'll return if i have some sort of a problem with it.

// Mjolkspam

Apr 23, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #389 of 508
Like many here, I'm signing up to express my gratitude to all those giving modding advice on the PC 350. It works so good i've already pissed off the wife who is in the bedroom.

Took me 4 holes to get the sound I want.

Thank you all !

Jun 7, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #390 of 508
Replying again,

I again used a hot screw driver and my kitchen stove to melt another 2 holes into the housing, then I added a bit of cotton to dampen the sound and it now sounds exactly like I always dreamed it would!

Now if there as only a way to get the mic to work a bit better!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back