Modding the Sennheiser pc350 headset
Jan 12, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #361 of 508
Hello head-fi!

Just did this mod by melting a hole in either cup by heating up an allen key with a lighter. Worked great! The holes are about 3mm wide and this has added a subtle but noticeable boost to the pc 350's bass. If you're on the fence about this mod start easy and just do a small hole in each cup. I did one hole in the right cup first, re assembled it to compare the modded right to the original left speaker to see if i liked the difference. I originally made the hole only 2mm thick, but decided to make it an extra 1mm wide and definitely hit the sweet spot, so I did the same to the left and now the headphones are awesome 
beyersmile.png
 All you have to do is unscrew the screws and melt some holes, the only annoyance I found was having to unstick the thin foam pad that was covering 2 screws in the left cup.. but that's it!

Like I said if you only do one hole the difference is subtle but it saves having to add cotton wool to the enclosures. I'm sure if I add more holes and add cotton wool I could get an even better sound but for the moment I like it how it is. Thanks ourfpshero for a great mod 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #362 of 508
Anyone find a good windscreen filter for the microphone on this set?  I have used some from Amazon, but they are super tiny and get really thin when stretched over this mic which makes them not last very long.  I can't seem to find anywhere anyone finding anything that has worked well.

Jan 20, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #363 of 508
I sit in front of a fan most of the day. Wind noise is a problem. I find any 'furry thing' placed over the mic will completely stop any noise. For the thinnest thing possible,,  you could try a condom? At the very least it may enhance the pleasure of your conversation? :) 

anyway. next post news.

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #364 of 508
ok, news, 

I have been trying to find out the mW  these things will handle. Cant get it anywhere. Every other Sennheiser headset on the planet has a maximum input mW you can look up on their site. Go figure.

Some playing, done. My lowly AC97 audio card (standard computer fare.15mW) did sound ok, when all was pumped up, even loud-ish. Very efficient cans, as promised - but no max figures from Sennheiser?

So,,  I dug into my past and decided to buy a soldering iron and some 'stuff' and see what I could do with them.

Please note, I am using samples of National Semiconductor 'audiophile' opamps, provided free of charge. Should you want to try his yourself then I suggest you register and request your free samples. PM me for the IC details.

I built an amplifier for the headphones, I want to see what these Sennheiser drivers can do.

15mW, pretty damn good,  60mW ;; they really rock. No distortion, bass is still mass (I did mod already, 2mm port in each can) . I have not got these cans to distort yet, but! There is a transition from when the coils (call em what you will) get saturated. The cans really start to work. I pushed them to 80mW without distortion. I can hear the coils bleating though.

My next project is to short/remove/bypass (not in the C sense of bypass, stiff wire bypass is what I mean) both of the coils (on the PCB in the left can) and see where these drivers go.

Can anyone out there tell me the max input of the drivers in these cans? I already near permanently damaged my hearing, without distortion, at 80mW. I don't want to go higher, would like the information though (just like every other good quality headphone).

regardless, I put 80mW in without distortion. Would someone please confirm the maximum input of the drivers in these cans.

Regards
BaDboD
Thailand

Jan 20, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #365 of 508
Thank you ourfpshero for taking the first step in a simple, but very effective mod. I received my Sennheiser PC 350 Headphones via UPS earlier, modded each driver housing with a 2mm hole using a heated jewelers screwdriver by the screw hole, registered here, and also wish to say thanks to all of you for this great thread. It surely makes a huge difference in bass, to say the least.
gs1000.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:05 PM Post #366 of 508
Hello there :)  This seems to be the right place to ask a question at.

I got PC350 headphones, works just fine. But my earpads is pretty worn out.
So i need to buy some needs ones.  I ask Sennheiser where i could buy some.
And i got a link. But then i looked there and there they was.

But i check for some more stuffs and found the earpads for  HD 555/595. Don't know if they fit tho.
So my question is, would they fit?   Isnt  HD 555  and PC350 the same headphone?
The only thing thats different is the microphone right? 

They look the same, feels the same.   But the earpads on HD 555 is much more comfortable
than the PC350 ones.

Please help me out here :)  Thanks for the help.

// Mjolkspam

Feb 15, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #368 of 508
Pads for the pcx 450 fit, I have got some 3rd party pads already (agree, pads wear out a bit quick) The new pads are way more hard wearing and isolation is just as good; I think. Only problem is the seams started to go after a month, I had to get some glue and redo the seams.

Pads I got had 350PC/ pcx450 written on them. I believe the pcx 450 originals have felt pads? These are more like the original 350 pads, just more hard-wearing (except the seams I guess). They are just as comfortable, and already showing to be hardier. I was disappointed when the 'pleather' fell of the original pads just after the year warranty.

I got 2 sets of the 3rd party things. almost 2 years in and hardly a scratch on the first pair, so I guess I am set for a good while now.

Ebay I believe, my brother got them, I can ask for a link if you want? Ultracushion on the pack, but I can't recommend as the seams needed glue'ing properly within a few weeks of purchase. Maybe I got a bad batch? I am in Thailand so the return policy was not feasible. I am happy now I fixed em. Maybe a modders dream if you like fixing stuff?

Regards
David

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:06 PM Post #369 of 508
Mkilbride I used a hot 2mm star driver. Any 2mm wide object made hot enough to melt the plastic and rotated carefully to make a roughly 2mm diameter circular hole should do.

Some here put many holes in and are happy, I just put one and was very happy. So you can play. Just be careful to follow the guides in previous posts. You will not damage anything as long as you do that. The correct place for making the holes is so far away from the delicate speaker driver, you would have to be very clumsy indeed to break it. Once you take them apart and see you will understand how hard it will be to damage them with this mod. 

Just be careful of the small screws, rubber 'clack' pads; and wires, while taking apart.

The mod is the easy part 

Regards and happy modding
David

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #370 of 508
Just wondering if anyone found out the max handling of these phones? I have not gone beyond 80mW yet. So damn loud but no distortion. I am sure they could take more. I don't want any more! I just want an absolute figure so I know where damage may occur. I am approaching 50, have no probs with me ears, but heck! Might do one day and try to push them. Don't want to do that and break them.

It is unusual for me not to be able to find the figures of a good quality set from the manufacturers site (Sennheiser included). It starts to look like something is being held back. Why are the figures not available for these sets, but are pushed into our faces as boasting figures for almost their entire range?

Sennheiser staff did comment in this thread earlier, would it be nice if they commented again on this matter? What is the max handling of the PC350 headset?

[edit] I can guess why they have chosen to hide the figures. The figures should still not be hidden. The average user would not know that their computer would only put out between 15 and 30mW. The average user might not understand 'efficiency'. So to say 120mW handling (guess as no actual figure from manufacturer) is bad advertising, in the case of an average computer user who does know, or is informed by someone who knows. Indeed, there may be an issue with using audiophile cans in PC sets that might upset audiophiles paying far more for the same (more hardware in the PC350 in fact) hardware. Best not give any figures then huh?[/edit]

[edit] forgot to mention that I have replaced the volume control thrice now. The micro stereo control just cant take the power (20mW from my computer). I replaced 2 before mod, and before amplifier. After amp the 3rd one burnt in a day. I have simply bypassed now. If anyone needs instruction on how to change/bypass their crackling volume control you can ask. If you do amp above 15mW you will have no choice. THIS IS NOT AFFECTED BY THE MOD. My computer put out a healthy 20+mW whereas (typically soundblaster) most only do 10-15mW so you will not have any problems. If your volume control is crackling and puts out in one ear only till you mess with the volume control for a while, you have probably burnt it. Bypass is easy. Your MIC on off still works.[/edit] 

[finaledit] If you decide to add a headphone amp to witness the 80mW splendour. You will need to replace or bypass your micro volume control very quickly. You should also consider a hearing test. I like motorhead though, so am used to 'after gig deafeness' that lasts for a week.[/finaledit]

Regards
David

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #371 of 508
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to chime in and report my success with this mod! I was actually fixing the cable (a speaker had stopped working!) and decided to bust some holes in! I drilled 3 holes 2mm-ish holes in each driver  casing thing and... Tada! It's absolutely brilliant, awesome thumping bass! 

Thanks Hero guy!

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #372 of 508

Quote:
Hello there :)  This seems to be the right place to ask a question at.

I got PC350 headphones, works just fine. But my earpads is pretty worn out.
So i need to buy some needs ones.  I ask Sennheiser where i could buy some.
And i got a link. But then i looked there and there they was.

But i check for some more stuffs and found the earpads for  HD 555/595. Don't know if they fit tho.
So my question is, would they fit?   Isnt  HD 555  and PC350 the same headphone?
The only thing thats different is the microphone right? 

They look the same, feels the same.   But the earpads on HD 555 is much more comfortable
than the PC350 ones.

Please help me out here :)  Thanks for the help.

// Mjolkspam

HD555/595 pads will fit perfectly, just like originals. Personally I just don't like the feel of them and use only when I need to hear something outside of the cups.

PXC450 are a bit tricky to put in place. They seem to click in position, but when pulled from correct side, they drop without any strength.
After installing PXC450 pads try to pull them from all sides to make sure they stay. Though I had one side loosely installed for more than a week before noticing, so the pads will still stay there quite well.

Feb 19, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #373 of 508
Hey guys, I just wanted to thank hero as well for the great mod.

But, I also wanted to point out that you can buy these cans refurbished for a fraction of the retail $250, or whatever they are going for today. I don't want to break any rules, so just google refurbished Denon. They are authorized, and I have no affiliation with them, or anyone for that matter. Just want to let my fellow gamers/ headfiers know there are other options besides full retail out there.

All my best,
Matt

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #375 of 508
Are these the originals, or replacements?

Try turning them upside down, and/ or placing them on the other side.  They should match up, just take your time, and they will snap into place.

Let us know if you are still having problems.

Take care,
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back