Modding the Sennheiser pc350 headset
Nov 17, 2012 at 4:17 AM Post #406 of 508
Hi Mkilbride

I found a movie on how to remove the pads, but can't find any for this mod. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNTvq2QlrVU

It is very straight forward though and you should have no problems matching with the pictures from this thread once you get them open. Maybe if I get some time when Im not being too lazy Ill fire up a vid, but don't hold your breath.

Regards

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #408 of 508
It is seriously simple it may be confronting now but worth every sec of the time it takes. Just give it a go you will be suprised how easy it is!! 
smile.gif

Nov 23, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #410 of 508
The more mods I see of this, the more confused I become.

I guess I should pick up some cotton balls.

I imagine 3 holes at the bottom and 2 on the actual cover would be good, no?  5 is my lucky number...some people say 2 is enough, some 3, some guy had like 9 in one picture I saw lol.

I just want my headset to sound as good as it can.  Also, out of all the pages, and yes, I read every one of them, none show how to get to the area where you need to drill the holes.

Which is why I'd really like a video; doesn't even have to show you drilling the holes, as I can understand that, it's just how to get to the part you have to drill that gets me, so maybe just a video showing how you get there, step by step, nothing big.

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #411 of 508
Quote:
The more mods I see of this, the more confused I become.

I guess I should pick up some cotton balls.

I imagine 3 holes at the bottom and 2 on the actual cover would be good, no?  5 is my lucky number...some people say 2 is enough, some 3, some guy had like 9 in one picture I saw lol.

I just want my headset to sound as good as it can.  Also, out of all the pages, and yes, I read every one of them, none show how to get to the area where you need to drill the holes.

Which is why I'd really like a video; doesn't even have to show you drilling the holes, as I can understand that, it's just how to get to the part you have to drill that gets me, so maybe just a video showing how you get there, step by step, nothing big.

Sure thing, coming right up, just shot a short video explaining and showing it, will be uploading it to YouTube and linking here as soon as possible :)

Nov 24, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #412 of 508
Thanks so much man. Making the holes seem easy - heck, someone even said all they did was take a screw driver, heat the tip on their stove and then place it on the cup and it just went through, basically apply no pressure, and once the holes open just stop.

I think I am going to do 3 holes at the base, as some pictures show, and 2 like the one in the op shows at the top.

I have a brand new soundcard coming today, with this mod, and a CMoyBB amp I may buy, this headset will finally sound the way it was supposed to be. I love my actual surround sound setup so much...but there are times when I want to wear my headset, like ArmAII, or some online FPS. But for RPG's and most SP games, I don't use my headset.

Nov 24, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #413 of 508
Here you go, hope it helps, sorry for poor focus, bad English and groggy speech, I'm very tired :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7QXuXn1lJg

EDIT. Oh and the part where I talk about not having to remove one of the screws, I was going by foggy memory, I'm not 100% sure. So when removing the screws, just remove all of them, it does no harm, you just need to put the microphone thing back in place if it comes loose. And look for a screw hidden under some foam padding, the driver housing won't budge if you don't remove that screw, and it isn't visible when opening the cans up for the first time, mine doesn't have that foam hiding it anymore since I've removed it when opening these up a million times. Other than those things, it is just as straightforward as it looks in the video. Good luck.

Nov 24, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #414 of 508
Thanks for that video ,just makes everything much more obvious.

I'm using a paperclip like you suggested, but my wholes are reaaaaaaallly small because of it. Anything wrong with that?

I have 4 holes, in around the same spots on each right now, each hole is the size of a paper clip's tip, with some cotton balls I stretched out for padding as you said. Man, when I felt that paper clip slide through the plastic and hit something I flipped out, I wasn't even applying any effort, it just went through...luckily, I have them plugged in right now and nothing appears broken...I got incredibly lucky, I think. Overall, I notice an enhanced sonic stage somewhat, a song I've been using for benchmarking"

"Heroes" Broken Blade OST. I listened to it on my Speakers, which sounds incredible, then on my headset with onboard, which sounded annoying. Then my headset, pre-mod on my Soundcard Titanium HD. It sounded ok, better than onboard by a mile, but something was wrong, it had a "hollow" feeling, I can't really explain...kinda like poorly done virtual surround.

Post mod, they sound alot warmer, and very, incredibly close to my speakers on the same song. Which I am very happy about.

Maybe I'll do more holes, based off your suggestions.

They're very small holes, being the size of the tip of paper clip. I imagine all of them put together only equals about one normal sized hole shown in the first pick, or is it just about escape, not size?

Nov 24, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #415 of 508

Oh holy crap, this is off the first page, so I REALLY hate to bump, but I'd like some advice. Thank you.

You'll probably cringe, but I took some shots of what I did. I just heated the paper clip and kept as steady as I could....

Figures, right after I am pretty happy, the headset sort of "broke", one of the headband connectors came off and I don't know how. I can't tell if it's broke, but I can't see how to snap it back on

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #416 of 508
Quote:

Oh holy crap, this is off the first page, so I REALLY hate to bump, but I'd like some advice. Thank you.

You'll probably cringe, but I took some shots of what I did. I just heated the paper clip and kept as steady as I could....

Figures, right after I am pretty happy, the headset sort of "broke", one of the headband connectors came off and I don't know how. I can't tell if it's broke, but I can't see how to snap it back on

You can pretty easily experiment with the hole sizes and amounts, for me it started to work after I made a bunch of bigger holes, and from there I worked with the amount of cotton and got the HD 595 pads and found a perfect balance. You can make your holes bigger and just get some electric tape and tape over the holes you don't want. I think this mod is mostly about the collective size of the holes, and from there it's about controlling the excess lows with a dampening material.

Those holes you made look okay, and don't worry there's nothing inside there for your heated paper-clip to hit, the driver is on the other end of the enclosure.

Headband connector? You mean the adjustable height slides? There's a plastic part at the underside of each end of the headband pleather cushion, you can remove that just by levering it with a screwdriver or something. You need to just plug the height adjustment slider back into the groove and make sure the shiny metal clip is in place for the height adjustment slider, it's what has to meet the notches in the headband to keep the slider in place.

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #417 of 508
http://www.head-fi.org/t/637831/headband-came-off-i-cant-see-how

I made a topic here showing what happened.

And I'm much more relieved to hear there is nothing for the paper clip to have hit, whew!

I have the HD595 Velour pads and indeed I like them alot more.

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #418 of 508
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/637831/headband-came-off-i-cant-see-how

I made a topic here showing what happened.

And I'm much more relieved to hear there is nothing for the paper clip to have hit, whew!

I have the HD595 Velour pads and indeed I like them alot more.

Ah so it's that "connector", the hinges on the cans, I have never detached those, and so I don't know if that can be simply snapped back in there or if it's broken in some way, sorry :\

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #419 of 508
Damn. Not sure how the heck it came off. Literally all I did was taken them off my head and bam.

And I thought I could use them still, but I just tried them out in a 45 minute game session.

No go there. My left ear cup, the one with the broken connector, keeps like, I dunno, slightly sliding down on my ear and I find it -really- annoying. Unbearably so, as it feels like something is jumping on your face...

I just can't catch a break. My sound card dies, then my headset, which I finally grow the balls to do this mod on, breaks.

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #420 of 508
Hi Mkilbride,
  I have done that before, looks the same as mine and does not look broken. It is awkward to get the clip back in, you have to swivel the phones around a bit then it does just slot right back in there without any force, You do need to take the cover off again though,  that is what locks it in place. You cant get the headband back in place without taking the cup apart again was my experience.

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back