Modding the Kanen km-880 woodie
Nov 11, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #61 of 101
you americans and your stupid inches
eek.gif

Nov 11, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #62 of 101

Quote:
you americans and your stupid inches 
eek.gif

I am not, i just though there were more common here. how about cm and mm?

Quote:
internal diameter = 2.5 inches , 6.35 cm
external diameter = 2.75 inches, 6.985 cm
deepest part inside the cup = 0.75 inches, 1.905 cm
most shallow part of the cup (close the the edge, where the screws sets in) : 3/8 inches, 9.53 mm

inner cup ( the small cup-shaped hole inside the cups, where the drivers sets in)
diameter: 1.5 inches, 3.81 cm

diameter of the round plate that holds the cushion in position: 2 7/8 inches, 7.3025 cm

Nov 16, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #64 of 101
i have mine open but the head band im trying to use doesnt really fit ... lol?

I using some Sony XD200 drivers and hopefully detachable one sided cord

im thinking more about the idea Walfredo gave about open some holes to the woodcups...

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #65 of 101

Franken880's Beta Version

They flat fold, they swivel 360 degrees, they are lightweight they fold and collapse into a small little thingy, the sound just as bad as they look :'(

dont jugde me yet , id be finishing them when i have more free time.
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 21, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #66 of 101
wow- you guys are taking off with this!

just an update. i posted a while back my daughter took these. she has asked for a shorter cord (i'll get to it someday), and has refused higher end cans i have offered her like an ath-es7

Nov 21, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #67 of 101
Very cool, James!!

I was able to draw the holes in my cut (although in one of the 4 holes, I did chipped a bit of the wood).  I'm waiting for a friend's help to solver the drivers.  Will post pictures when done.

[]s
Walfredo

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #73 of 101
Thanks, Negakinu!!  I just finished my second mod (see next post)... and am looking forward for the third time. :)  But the shipping from the Netherlands to California should be the same as me buying another KM880. :)

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:02 AM Post #74 of 101
Well... it actually worked, folks!!!  Behold the W-2:

The details:  My friend got sick and I got no one to solder the drivers.  (Where do you live, James? I think I'm going to try the W-3 at some point... :)  So, I could not use the driver of the Labtec, as I was planning.  Instead, I used the drivers of a Sennheiser HD-202 (40mm with 2 cables, so it worked without soldering).

The sound is actually reasonable.  It has much better bass than the JVC drivers I used in the first mod.  It is more comfortable to wear too.  The fact that the cups rotate make is easier to wear them.  And the little chips of wood in the cups I did what making the holes are actually hard to see.  You have to call attention to them for people to see.  If you stay quite, no one notices. :)

I did took much more work though.  Simply exchanging the drivers is a very straightforward mod.  This one is a bit more involved.  The cups of the KM880 do not fit perfectly on the Labtec headband.  I had to cut and sandpaper quite a bit.

[]s
Walfredo

Dec 2, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #75 of 101

Quote:

They flat fold, they swivel 360 degrees, they are lightweight they fold and collapse into a small little thingy, the sound just as bad as they look :'(

It just occurred to me, James:  Did you damp the cups to control the bass?  I used cotton on mine mods and made a big (positive) difference.

Also, what did you use for headband?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back