Modding the Kanen km-880 woodie
Mar 2, 2010 at 8:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 101

ourfpshero

Headphoneus Supremus
the ultra cheap kanen woodie has gathered some interest. i got one, and of course found its sound lacking. the bass was nice, but muddy, highs way too recessed. still nice for 18$.
some quick disassembly showed the 40mm drivers glued into a barrel housing. a little work with a tiny screwdriver and they were out. in went 40mm jvc drivers from an ha-x570. (ha-g101 would work as well) bonus! they both are dual entry and so the cables stayed with them- no soldering needed! a 10 minute mod
beyersmile.png

sound improved much- cleaner highs, bass as strong and now clear and textured. bigger soundstage

Mar 3, 2010 at 4:52 AM Post #3 of 101
might try that. my 1st woodie. are u supposed to dampen wood? or is the resonance of wood the attraction?

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #4 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the ultra cheap kanen woodie has gathered some interest. i got one, and of course found its sound lacking. the bass was nice, but muddy, highs way too recessed. still nice for 18$.
some quick disassembly showed the 40mm drivers glued into a barrel housing. a little work with a tiny screwdriver and they were out. in went 40mm jvc drivers from an ha-x570. (ha-g101 would work as well) bonus! they both are dual entry and so the cables stayed with them- no soldering needed! a 10 minute mod
beyersmile.png

sound improved much- cleaner highs, bass as strong and now clear and textured. bigger soundstage

Really cool transformation! So as long as we have a 40mm driver w/ dual entry cables, we can do this solderless transplant? Did u need to glue the new driver into place? How did you remove the metal ring that secures the pads to housing?

You now have a woodied JVC ha-x570. Is it an improvement over the JVC?

Thanks for doing this -- and for the pix!

Mar 3, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 101
the new driver fits right in. there was enough glue residue to hold it, and its a snug fit anyway. the pads hold onto a white plastic ring with 3 rods that push in to the chrome plastic housing. a small screwdriver under the pad, a small pry, they come out.

and yes, its an improvement over both headphones!

Mar 3, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #6 of 101
now you need to mod the headband, because it's really not comfy...and then the ear pads
biggrin.gif

nice work, though! I was hoping it'd be circumaural tbh..

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:55 PM Post #9 of 101
the earcups do not swivel. there is a bit of bendability tho

Mar 4, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #10 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by ourfpshero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the new driver fits right in. there was enough glue residue to hold it, and its a snug fit anyway. the pads hold onto a white plastic ring with 3 rods that push in to the chrome plastic housing. a small screwdriver under the pad, a small pry, they come out.

and yes, its an improvement over both headphones!

Thanks! This looks like something I could do. I think. I'll be looking for a used JVC HA-X570 or HA-G101.

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #11 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! This looks like something I could do. I think. I'll be looking for a used JVC HA-X570 or HA-G101.

if u find them the same price- get the hag101. it has great earpads that can be used on other headphones

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #12 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seidhepriest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How hard do you think it is transplanting the cups (just the cups) to some other headphones? Like Panasonic RP-HTX7?

next to impossible unless the cups were identical in size

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #13 of 101
How about the KM-880 parts swapped or somehow made more comfortable (other pads, etc.?). How are the wooden cups attached, glue?

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #14 of 101
How hard do you think it is transplanting the cups (just the cups) to some other headphones? Like Panasonic RP-HTX7?

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #15 of 101
the wood cups are held in with screws- see pic 3 with one off.

the biggest comfort issue is the plastic headband. a nice cushion for that would work wonders on the comfort

Users who are viewing this thread

Back