mod: Monoporice 8323
Nov 3, 2016 at 3:28 AM Post #182 of 208
Nope, the only headphones I've drilled into have been the Beyer COP (increased bass) and V-Moda LP (don't remember what that did to the sound).

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #183 of 208
Any mods for the 8323 that are simple?

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #184 of 208
  Any mods for the 8323 that are simple?

Slap on new pads, throw felt/cotton/an old sock into the cups. Done!

Apr 13, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #186 of 208
Can you elaborate on this please? Thanks.

Um... pretty much exactly what I said. Get some new pads (Shure 840 are popular and can be had for $15-20) and toss some kind of filler material in the cup. Done!

Apr 14, 2017 at 8:31 AM Post #187 of 208

Um... pretty much exactly what I said. Get some new pads (Shure 840 are popular and can be had for $15-20) and toss some kind of filler material in the cup. Done!

Yeah this. I used angled Brainwavz pads as I found it improved the soundstage a little as well plus polyfill in the cup.

I'd recommend grabbing Monoprice's mobile cable as well as it is less microphonic and much nicer feeling then the stock cables. https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021816&p_id=9764&seq=1&format=2

May 2, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #188 of 208
I searched but couldn't find this issue about the 8323 - when I wear them they creak every time I move my head! Very distracting! Any suggestions? It's not related to the pads, but it's the plastic parts and their joints, I think.

May 8, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #189 of 208
I searched but couldn't find this issue about the 8323 - when I wear them they creak every time I move my head! Very distracting! Any suggestions? It's not related to the pads, but it's the plastic parts and their joints, I think.

Unfortunately it's not something with an easy solution, since lubrication is messy.

Nov 25, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #190 of 208
Great thread!
I was wondering what thickness of acoustic foam did you use for the 8323 headphones?
Is it 1/2"?

Thanks,

Rabbit

Plenty of talk of this little $30 wonder here... http://www.head-fi.org/t/569239/monoprice-hi-fi-dj-style-headphone-review

Generally considered a great value, particularly if you're looking for something bass heavy.

Here's my little mod experiment. This is a fairly standard treatment (with variations) that I give most headphones when I'm in the mood to crack them open...

1. Sprayed the cups with a rubber sealant. Sprayed the rear of the driver baffle as well (after masking all the important bits). This is to provide a seal and slightly mitigate those hard plastic reflective surfaces. Do note that this step is very messy. If you were to skip any step, this would be it.

2&3. Place acoustic foam into the cups. The type I used had a heavy rubber backing.

4. Double layer of micropore tape over the cup vents. Scrap piece of acoustic foam wedged into the hinge knob, since the hinge actually has a hole that vents directly out and is arguably larger than the cup vent itself.

5. Vibration dampener (dynamat or fatmat or other) on rear of driver. I just used scrap pieces of whatever I had left. I modded a previous pair that simply had a square rotated 45° on the back. Micropore tape over half the driver vents.

6. A piece of velour and cotton layered into the cups. I teased out the cotton first, and tried to arrange them such that the wire did not lay directly against the driver but had the cotton sandwiched in between.

7. (no pic) Cut a large piece of soft thin felt the same size as the baffle plate and stuck it under the pad

Most noticeable sound changes
- better isolation
- bass maybe ever so slightly decreased, but clarity improved
- treble extension greatly improved
- midrance clarity much better (probably due to the treble)
- overall frequency response is bass sloped, with the typical treble wobbles though more subdued than other closed cans

Apr 1, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #193 of 208
Well i modded mine and made them balanced.

Bought 2 pairs to use just the cups with the connections. So i have a headband and 2 cups left over.

Dynmatted the cups and on one i ended up snapping the wire. So i rewired both and because the circuit board was incredibly small i changed out the connectors for 2.5mm connectors.

Threw in some cotton and two sets of brainwaves pads.

Pretty amazing and I am really happy. Only thing i need to do is tone the treble a bit as its just a touch sibilant. Though some might not thinks its bad at all on the treble.
CA00CCAE-44DF-4CA7-818C-86FE8477C454.jpeg
E854955F-E44C-4885-839E-E04FCEE84B30.jpeg
357FB0C7-25FD-4AF8-99C4-0C0F4D6E3098.jpeg

Apr 1, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #194 of 208
Went back to the stock pads and man its damn near perfect . Fixed the treble and increased the bass. Only think wrong now is that its not comfortable :frowning2:

Amazing that these can sound soooo fricken good. Been listening for hours and besides the physical fit, the sound is sooo smooth and not fatiguing. Amazing for such a cheap can.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #195 of 208
Nicely done. Is that solid core wiring on the inside? Looks rather fancy for such a humble headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back