1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

mod: Monoporice 8323

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by armaegis, May 17, 2012.
First

Back
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
13 14
Next

Last
  1. Armaegis
    But how would one go about putting acoustic filler into a tube that small? Then there's the fact that that much tubing will eat up your cup volume...

2. CBS911
    But how would one go about putting acoustic filler into a tube that small?
    Some people use Dacron in speaker cabs, maybe fish-line and pull in Dacron yarn.

Then there's the fact that that much tubing will eat up your cup volume...
    I was thinking running the majorit of the tube external up and over the head band, under a snap on pad to the other side, thats about 19 inches.

V/R Brent,

3. Armaegis
    Interesting idea... if you try it, let us know how that works out.

4. samshaver
    Hello... Sorry to bump an old thread, but had a couple of quick questions, and wanted to share my experience with several pairs of these and what I did to mod one of them.

Between a few pairs that I have purchased for myself, friends, and family I have noticed that each pair does sound slightly different from each other. So, I suspect that @trueserve is correct, that most of the differences in sound come from variation in the drivers themselves.

@trueserve have you had a chance to measure these yet?!? Do you have any pics/plans for the in-line box that you've mentioned?!?

Has anyone tried @trueserve's mod, and have any feedback, as he asked for previously?!?

So, after reading this thread and playing with several different sets of headphones, I found that the UE6000's were somewhat similar to the 8323's, but had a bit tighter bass and much more crisp, clear highs. And you can only mod so much until you can't get any more from the driver. So, I was thinking of throwing the UE6000 drivers in the 8323's just to see what they sounded like. But, in the mean time I found out that the UE4000's, which are on-the-ear headphones in the same line, have the same drivers as the over-the-ear UE6000's. Also, the UE4000's do not have the somewhat noise-canceling/bass boost feature of the UE6000's, so they are much cheaper (~$20 at the time of writing this). So, I thought that with the asymmetric acoustic chambers of the Right and Left ears of the UE6000's, due to the battery compartment taking up a fair amount of real estate in the Left cup, I wondered what the UE drivers would sound like if they had more symmetric acoustic chambers. So, I thought, why not just throw them in the 8323's...

This took a bit of extra effort as I had to make a 50 mm wooden ring with a 40 mm hole in the center of it to mount the UE drivers in. But, since I was doing that, I said, why not go all out. So, I took the small 3 foot cable that came with the 8323's and rewired the headphones, as this was slightly larger wire and is also a 3 wire cable so I could wire it to have a jack on either ear (also keeping the ear cups the same on both ears, as this is why I was swapping out drivers in the first place, right?!?). I sprayed the inside of the cups with Plasti-Dip rubberized spray, covered both of the air ports in the ear cups with Micropore tape, cut a natural sponge to about half the thickness of each cup, put a thin layer of Poly-fil on top of the sponge, then put a layer of standard craft felt on top of the Poly-fil, and closed them up...  They sounded pretty good, but the highs were a bit too piercing for me, so I cut out another layer of felt to put between the driver plate and the ear pads. This helped, but still a bit bright/warm for my ears. So, I took the pads off again, and put 2 layers of the Micropore tape at right angles from each other over the center of each driver on the driver plate. Then put the pads back on with the felt in between. Wow! They sounded pretty good! (almost as good, if not better than my $300 NAD Viso HP50's!) However, I felt that the low in was lacking just a touch. It was much tighter and cleaner, but just didn't quite have the presence that I wanted. But, with a touch of bass boost on the EQ they sound GREAT! And all for less than $60 ($18 for the 8323's, $20 for the UE4000's to be the donor, and supplies)!!! Then, I got to thinking that I had put some velour pads on to help with the comfort factor, and realized that this could be leaking a fair amount of bass... So, I swapped out the velour pads for the originals! Boom! There was the nice, clean, clear, tight bass presence that I was looking for. So, now I'm looking for a pair of nicer pleather or leather pads to replace the stock ones with.

Any suggestions on a nice leather ear pad that won't make you sweat like it's 150 degrees in your cups in ~20 mins?!?

Also, any other ideas of how to dampen the mids-highs other than the felt and Micropore tape as mentioned?!?

Also, if anyone is interested in seeing pics, just ask, and I'll post them.

Hope all is well... Peace  -Sam

5. Armaegis
    Shure 840 pads are very popular, as are the Brainwavz leather pads. Both of those should fit and should be $20-ish. The 840's will be a bit loose, but a bit of stuffing under the pads like you already have will help hold it steady.

6. samshaver

Awesome! Thanks for the suggestion! Yeah, I've mainly been looking at Sony MDR-7506/V6 pads, as that's what the velour pads I have were for, and they fit quite nicely. I was slightly concerned about the fit of the Brainwavz based on the measurements, but if most people can get them to fit without too much effort, I may try their hybrid pads, to get the better seal, and therefore bass, from the leather, but still have the cool and slightly more comfortable feel of the velour against the skin. Has anyone tried these?!?

7. 93EXCivic
    Switching to the Brainwavz HM5 pads makes a world of difference in terms of sound quality and comfort. It seems to reduce the bass but also tighten it up.

Also switching to the Monoprice gold plated mobile cable seems to help with microphonics compared to the standard cable.

Can't wait to see what internal mods can do.

Of coarse by the time I have put Brainwavz pads on and changed the cable, it costs as much as the Superlux HD681 EVO which sounds better IMO but I bought these just to screw around with so whatever.

LaughMoreDaily likes this.
  8. ghostnote
    The thing I'm most curious about is the dynamat on the back of the driver. Does it have a measurable change? Dynamat's expensive and it's such a small amount...

9. Armaegis
    I happened to have a bunch of damping materials leftover from previous experiments. If you don't have any, it's not worth it. Just stick with felts and whatnot, and spend money on pads instead.

10. 93EXCivic
    C77E3E16-E504-42F0-9EF1-7EA325088A07_zpst8nda8rb.jpg

Mine: Brainwavz HM5 angled pads, an Amazon comfort strap, Monoprice mobile cable, stuffed the cups with cotton and taped over the vents with solid tape.

This combo greatly reduced the bass which I found overwhelming and wooly and bought out the mids and highs. It is probably a little forward now. I chose the angled pads over Brainwavz velour or flat pleather as they seemed to help with the sound stage. I found that with the Brainwavz pads putting the acoustic foam, felt and cotton in made the bass completely disappear. The cotton by itself decreased the bass a little more then I wanted but it seemed to clean up the highs and reduce sibilance. Taping over the vents seemed to bring back the bass that was lost by the cotton.

11. Armaegis
    How well sealed are your pads to the cups? Taping that up might improve the bass again. You might have to experiment with that vs taping up the vents, as both effectively control how much total air escapes from the cups.

12. 93EXCivic
    Like stick double sided tape between the back of the pad and the headphone?

13. Armaegis
    Yes, pretty much. Basically you're controlling the amount of leakage which determines the helmholtz frequency of the cup.

14. 93EXCivic

It would seem that the clamping force should be working to compress the pad against the cup and seal it but I will give it a shot to see what happens.

15. Armaegis
    It certainly does, but since your ear/face is not a flat surface, the clamping pressure is not even across the pad.

First

Back
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
13 14
Next

Last