Mo-Fi Headphones from Blue Microphones: Multi-link, Amplified Headphone Goodness - Head-Fi TV
Aug 26, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #106 of 389
I read your review, which seems to measure the headphones from a treble perspective.  I don't have the same preferred sound sig as you, so it might be something that suits me better than you.  If it helps, my 2 favorite headphones I own are the HD700 and HE400.

Aug 26, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #107 of 389
  I read your review, which seems to measure the headphones from a treble perspective.  I don't have the same preferred sound sig as you, so it might be something that suits me better than you.  If it helps, my 2 favorite headphones I own are the HD700 and HE400.

I haven't heard either of those, but I can tell you the Mo-Fi will likely not appeal to fans of the HD 650 or HD 800, both of which I've had.

I can appreciate the value of other sound preferences — that's why I call out the treble-clarity-vs.-laid-back difference in the review, and why two of the top four sound-quality picks are laid-back tones (M4U 1 and HP50) with weak, undetailed treble. Feel free to try and buy whatever you want, but for whatever it's worth, I think I know what non-treble-fans are looking for based on other well-regarded models, and the Mo-Fi isn't it.

Aug 26, 2014 at 5:59 PM Post #109 of 389

I haven't tried the M4U 2, but the M4U 1 far surpasses the Mo-Fi in both sound quality and comfort.

Looks are subjective, but honestly, I think both are pretty ugly.

Thanks for the comment. I do have a thing for unique looking headphones! although sound quality will always be the main question.

I had the M4U2 as my primary headphone for a period of over a year and I loved it, but then it unceremoniously died. It's true that comfort was always its weakest point though - it was mostly fine on my head, but the "neckability" as the guy in the video called it was always bad. Especially becaue I have long hair and it would always get caught in the hinges.

So I changed to NAD Viso, which is far more comfy, however I have a feeling that the sound is not as good. It migh be nostagia because I never had a chance to directly compare them. I might have to get another M4U2 one of these days...

Aug 26, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #110 of 389
Perhaps I am overlooking something, but it seems as though the Mo-Fi was primarily developed to address the low-quality amps contained in the typical smartphone. Because of limited storage in these devices, mp3 files are often the norm, hence regardless of the quality of the Mo-Fi internal amplifier, it seems to me that simply double-amping a source delivered from a less than stellar amp, dac and mp3 file, the result would still be mediocre sound, just louder mediocre sound.

Perhaps those using I-products with LOD devices might benefit, but this phone doesn't seem to be developed for "out-and-about" use, so it would seem to me that it would most likely be relegated to desktop use. I also suspect that most dedicated desktop setups probably don't need a headphone with its own amplifier.

Just my initial thoughts after reading the promo materials and watching Jude's video as well as the company videos.

Aug 26, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #112 of 389
  So I changed to NAD Viso, which is far more comfy, however I have a feeling that the sound is not as good. It migh be nostagia because I never had a chance to directly compare them. I might have to get another M4U2 one of these days...

For whatever it's worth, I have the NAD HP50 and M4U 1 here and did a lot of back-to-back testing, and I found the opposite: the HP50's sound is very slightly better (but extremely close), but comfort is worse. It's not uncomfortable, but the M4U applies less pressure and the earpads are slightly softer.

These differences are pretty small, though. Overall, they are extremely similar headphones.

Aug 26, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #114 of 389

For whatever it's worth, I have the NAD HP50 and M4U 1 here and did a lot of back-to-back testing, and I found the opposite: the HP50's sound is very slightly better (but extremely close), but comfort is worse. It's not uncomfortable, but the M4U applies less pressure and the earpads are slightly softer.

These differences are pretty small, though. Overall, they are extremely similar headphones.

Thanks. I find that I usually feel comfortable with most over-head designs, and to me the NADs feel just fine, and like I said, personally my main problem with the M4U design was the hinges that would trap my hair...

You're not the first person who I've read saying they had a very slight preference to the sound of the NADs, and it has been months apart between listenings to the M4U2 for me, but something about that headphone with the amp on, even straight out of an ipod, sounded so tangible and lively. It had incredible dynamics. The music just doesn't strike me to be as tangible on the NADs out of better equipment.

But I acknowledge this can be a matter of perception because I never had a chance to AB them.

Aug 26, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #115 of 389
@marcoarment Just a thought: If you have channel imbalance and the sound is bad, it could be that you have a faulty pair. This has happened quite a few times in the past. It'd be worth getting them swapped out for another pair and see if that changes your impressions. 

Aug 26, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #116 of 389

Any visitor to our office can tell you that far more gear comes through here than I'll ever have a chance to write or talk about--far more. In the weeks before we update the gift guide, it looks like the 4th floor of Yodobashi Akiba blew up in here. So what do I write or talk about? Gear that I listen to and like--gear that impresses me. I like the Mo-Fi a lot so far, and it impresses me. I look around the office, and the gobs of headphones we have here, and, taken as a whole, there's nothing quite like it.

In my opinion (and I think more who use it will agree with me than not), it's very competitive (sonically) at its price, amp or not. It is, at $350.00, swimming in highly competitive, shark-infested waters, yes. That there's absolutely nothing else on the market quite like it, though, certainly helps it stand out--and it's getting harder to stand out.

Hi jude, can you comment on the comparison with the M4U2, given the similar built-in amp feature and the same price?

Thanks

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:00 PM Post #117 of 389
I want to know can it stand with the HD 600 /650 and how close does it get, and i don't mean soundstage. is it fun, tuneful does the MO FI have drive does it involve you in the music 

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #118 of 389
  I got an advance Mo-Fi to test over the last few weeks. I included it in my mega-review of the category here:
http://www.marco.org/headphones-closed-portable

In short, I didn't like it at all:

1. It's extremely heavy. It's as heavy as orthos (even heavier than the HE-560), and handles its weight very poorly, with extremely tight clamping pressure at any tension-knob setting, unevenly distributed weight across the earpad circumference, and a lot of weight bearing on the top-center head pad. My (heavier!) HE-6 feels much more comfortable.
  2. I didn't find the amp to make a noticeable difference in quality, nor is it necessary for very loud volume — these are extremely efficient in passive mode and can get uncomfortably loud from an iPhone. The amp just makes them much louder, not better-sounding.
  3. The sound is dramatically inferior to others in its class, with severe deficiencies in midrange presence and treble. There's so little detail that it almost sounds like you're listening through a towel. If you like a laid-back sound with rolled-off treble, there are better options.

Based on this, I'm not holding out hope for the quality of their future "audiophile" model(s). I hope I'm wrong about that.

My loaner also had a QA problem: a noticeable channel imbalance. So even if you choose to buy these, I'd suggest waiting a little while to work out quality issues.

Hi, Thanks for posting your impressions. When you say "deficiencies in ...treble" do you mean that it's too bright or that there's not enough treble?

Other reviews I've read say that the sound signature is somewhat bright:

PCMag:

CONSThe bulky design isn't for everyone, and some aspects, like the Power switch, could use a little tinkering. Bright sound signature not for everyone

1. PROS Extremely powerful audio output, with excellent bass response and high frequency clarity. Cool retro design with innovative compression band for secure fit. Can be used in passive and active modes, as well as active with enhanced bass response.
  2. BOTTOM LINE The Blue Microphones Mo-Fi is a well-made, wonderful-sounding headphone pair for the serious music lover.

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #119 of 389
Okay, so, what I want to know before I try to order these is how they would fit on a smaller head. I wear my V-Moda M100's on the smallest setting and even then it's a tad big, like, the top of the earcups rest flat on the top of my ear instead of around it. I adjust them with a tiny cloth that's like 2mm thick and that does the trick.
It seems like if you swivel the cups so that they're on the smallest setting, they become tilted and I wold need to have the headband on my forehead or something. Any comments on this from anyone who has tried it?

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #120 of 389
So, exchanging info with someone I trust, he told me that these sound like the Sennheiser Over-ear Momentum's SHOULD sound if they actually fit your ears! LOL! (yeah, that made me chuckle because he knows that I HATED the Momentums due to fit issues, which he doesn't experience, but I loved the bass-bloated Momentum On-ears! I'm weird like that).

Jude, do you believe that assessment to be correct???

The ONLY reason I'd want them is due to their looks, yes I am shallow kind of...
But, the weight is troubling. I COULD not listen to the Audeze LCD-XCs for more than an hour and these seem to be kind of cutting it close to those...

Anyway, I'll probably wait until they come down in price a bit... maybe to Sennheiser momentum levels...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back