Mo-Fi Headphones from Blue Microphones: Multi-link, Amplified Headphone Goodness - Head-Fi TV
Aug 26, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #121 of 389
Two reasons I don't like Audez'e? The weight AND clamping force. My head is much bigger than typical, I have nearly all my phones on the last click. This one isn't for me! 

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #122 of 389
Anyone else think these "look" like more of a gaming headset? If they are meant for mobile listeners they could have probably toned down the space age exoskeleton design IMO. Not sure I'd want to wear these things on my commute to work, the weight, as others have mentioned, is also pretty hefty and I personally like a lighter headphone. At the moment I use a pair of Senn 419's for my commute and those things are like a feather.

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #123 of 389
  @marcoarment Just a thought: If you have channel imbalance and the sound is bad, it could be that you have a faulty pair. This has happened quite a few times in the past. It'd be worth getting them swapped out for another pair and see if that changes your impressions. 

It's certainly possible, but the imbalance is pretty subtle (I didn't notice it until the second week — maybe it got worse), and the sound isn't so bad that it sounds defective. It just sounds mediocre.

Hi, Thanks for posting your impressions. When you say "deficiencies in ...treble" do you mean that it's too bright or that there's not enough treble?

Other reviews I've read say that the sound signature is somewhat bright:

PCMag:

CONSThe bulky design isn't for everyone, and some aspects, like the Power switch, could use a little tinkering. Bright sound signature not for everyone

1. PROS Extremely powerful audio output, with excellent bass response and high frequency clarity. Cool retro design with innovative compression band for secure fit. Can be used in passive and active modes, as well as active with enhanced bass response.
  2. BOTTOM LINE The Blue Microphones Mo-Fi is a well-made, wonderful-sounding headphone pair for the serious music lover.

I've seen a lot of variety from reviewers trying to describe the sound, but none of them seem to love it — I think they're just having trouble describing what they're hearing in standard terms.

Someone posted a response graph (sorry, I can't find it now) showing (IIRC) a huge drop in lower-midrange, a huge spike in upper-midrange, and then a pretty strong treble roll-off. That's roughly how they sound — some parts of the spectrum sound muffled, some are too powerful (mid-bass and that midrange spike), and overall it sounds a bit muffled.

I could see maybe a non-audiophile reviewer describing the midrange spike as "bright", misusing the term, but I'd never describe these as having much treble presence to speak of.

I just A/B'd them with the (properly sealed) Momentum, and there are many tonal similarities, but the Momentum has significantly more treble and detail (even though it's still much less than what I prefer).

Tonally, whatever the Momentum was going for is also whatever the Mo-Fi was going for — the Mo-Fi just did a worse job of it, I think, probably due to Blue's inexperience with headphones so far.

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #124 of 389
So it's slightly heavy. I just ordered this to get myself ready.

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #125 of 389
  So it's slightly heavy. I just ordered this to get myself ready.

have fun with your musculoskeletal damage

chansub-global-emoticon-ddc6e3a8732cb50f-25x28.png

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #126 of 389

It's certainly possible, but the imbalance is pretty subtle (I didn't notice it until the second week — maybe it got worse), and the sound isn't so bad that it sounds defective. It just sounds mediocre.

I've seen a lot of variety from reviewers trying to describe the sound, but none of them seem to love it — I think they're just having trouble describing what they're hearing in standard terms.

Someone posted a response graph (sorry, I can't find it now) showing (IIRC) a huge drop in lower-midrange, a huge spike in upper-midrange, and then a pretty strong treble roll-off. That's roughly how they sound — some parts of the spectrum sound muffled, some are too powerful (mid-bass and that midrange spike), and overall it sounds a bit muffled.

I could see maybe a non-audiophile reviewer describing the midrange spike as "bright", misusing the term, but I'd never describe these as having much treble presence to speak of.

I just A/B'd them with the (properly sealed) Momentum, and there are many tonal similarities, but the Momentum has significantly more treble and detail (even though it's still much less than what I prefer).

Tonally, whatever the Momentum was going for is also whatever the Mo-Fi was going for — the Mo-Fi just did a worse job of it, I think, probably due to Blue's inexperience with headphones so far.

Thanks. I posted that response graph - it was from stereos.about.com and, yeah, it shows a rather steep drop in the lower mid's and a spike after that. Like the Senn  but more V shaped as opposed to the U shape that the Momentum shows and the flatter response of the HP50.  http://stereos.about.com/od/Headphone-Reviews/ss/Review-Blue-Mo-Fi-Powered-Headphone_5.htm

Oh well, I'll have a chance to listen to them tomorrow and see what I think. I really like the NAD's I have (except the earpads opening is too small for my ears) so I'm not sure I'll like these.

Aug 26, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #127 of 389

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #128 of 389
  Oh well, I'll have a chance to listen to them tomorrow and see what I think. I really like the NAD's I have (except the earpads opening is too small for my ears) so I'm not sure I'll like these.

FWIW, here's the Mo-Fi earpad (left) vs. the NAD HP50 (right). The Mo-Fi pad is much deeper, but the earcup opening is similarly sized. (And there's much more clamping pressure, and much more weight...)

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #130 of 389
For some reason I am really eager to see a review from some familiars. Or folks im used to reading from. Im not fully abandoning these yet. Such a unique design and a new beginning is bound to have a lot of controversy because name brand fan boys didnt get a chance to jump on em first and hype em up.

Aug 26, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #132 of 389
Gelocks shared this
http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-300ish-headphone/

“Among the top two, it really becomes a matter of preference rather than quality.And in the end, we preferred the Blue’s sound.
"

...."In the end, though our ears preferred the Blue, the PSB sound equally amazing([COLOR=FF00AA]?)[/COLOR], cost $50 less, and we’d rather have someone decide to try the Blue and say we were crazy for questioning the weight than have someone buy the Blue and be miserable because they couldn’t wear them all day."

This makes sense kinda but I personally prefer durability over weight issues if its evenly distributed. Not to say the psb isnt durable but I can actually see the extra 50 bucks. Also the PSB is def not my number one pick. Something about it was very off though it had an enjoyable balance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back