Mo-Fi Headphones from Blue Microphones: Multi-link, Amplified Headphone Goodness - Head-Fi TV
Aug 27, 2014 at 1:57 AM Post #136 of 389
Man, I had high hopes for this one. I mean, it's Blue's first headphone, so I'm not surprised that they made a lot of poor design decisions, but it's still disappointing.

Guess I can still buy one once the price goes down and mod the tar out of it (if it's actually as bad as everyone says that is).

Aug 27, 2014 at 2:14 AM Post #138 of 389

I've done it for years, starting with the first gen IPod shuffle in 2005. Great if you have headphones which are of low-weight so they stay on your head biking along a boardwalk or rollerblading. Great for dog walks and the entanglements with two dogs.

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #140 of 389
I wonder how good the inline microphone is.. 
wink.gif

Aug 27, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #141 of 389
I think these have a great potential. I've been wondering why it hasn't been made before. Also the price tag is not that bad considering it has a built in amp.

With an integrated amplifier they could easily factory equalize the drivers to be much better than possible with a passive system..

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #142 of 389
I saw this pair of headphones in this news link too: http://www.gizmag.com/blue-microphones-mo-fi-headphones/33548/

This can be an option for people unwilling to go the Brick-Fi way™ but until I touch it myself, I can't comment much.

Aug 27, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #144 of 389
  Jude, fantastically polished review.  

Thank you, Keith! We didn't have a lot of time to put that together, so it was more to break the news first, and to say enough to make clear I really like it so far.

We'll do more follow-up, in another video and/or written, with more review-type content, and some comparative commentary.

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #145 of 389
Elaborate headband system seems like they are solving a mostly non-problem.  All of my current headphones have even earpad pressure top to bottom because they all pivot on a pin.  Single spring band across the top is actually an elegant solution with nothing to break or wear out over time and wins in the value to weight cost benefit. As a portable headphone I do like it including an optional amp that is custom designed to match the drivers but only if it is indeed of a good design using quality components.  Would be even better with internal DAC in that case though and just come with a lightening connector and call it the iPhone model and a micro usb and call it the android model.

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #146 of 389
Well, considering it has replaceable cables, why just a lightning cable?  I can think of 4 connectors that'd be useful if you want to go that route :)  Now that you mention dacs, using this headphone with something like a stoner acoustic ud110 attached to your phone wouldn't be bad at all.

Aug 27, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #147 of 389
Elaborate headband system seems like they are solving a mostly non-problem.  All of my current headphones have even earpad pressure top to bottom because they all pivot on a pin.  Single spring band across the top is actually an elegant solution with nothing to break or wear out over time and wins in the value to weight cost benefit. As a portable headphone I do like it including an optional amp that is custom designed to match the drivers but only if it is indeed of a good design using quality components.  Would be even better with internal DAC in that case though and just come with a lightening connector and call it the iPhone model and a micro usb and call it the android model.

I think this is the future in this level of the market. We will see mid level audiophile big headphones from Apple and maybe amplified Samsung headphones. The small amp quality is getting so good that you could have a complete amped headphone for away from home and in the home. Let's face it, more and more people are using iPads and big or small phones to surf the internet and do simple computing tasks. They use the devices to communicate with Skype and watch movies and YouTube videos, all with-out a computer in the standard sense. This trend does not look like it is changing direction. Batteries are getting smaller and lasting longer, amps are more powerful and putting out better sound with less heat.

I purchased USB Logitech Amped DAC headphones 11 years ago so I do wonder why it's only found it's forte in gaming headphone systems? I really thought we would be using something very close to a USB system now as to bypass the two analogue volume controls in a system like this? I still think it's in the works, especially with Apple Lightning. Here I guess there could be LOD? They would need to be long?

The crazy thing now is making sure all your batteries are all charged. Laptop? Check, IPod? Check. Phone? Check. IPad? Check. Headphone amp? Check. You need a day planner. Not even mentioning needing the camera SLR and flashlight.

It is only a matter of time to when this is what headphones are. Anyone who has walked around with a brick DAC/Amp knows the limitations of size and the stacking and connectors. Having a complete system that can run off a phone with one cable it so cool. It used to be that there was very few choices to go mobile with headphones 15 years ago and now look. The quality of sound and quality of equipment had gone in steady incline along with the price. Portable audio is already surpassing what many thought was the apex for most home headphone systems. There is no end in sight as to the potential for amazing sound.

Aug 27, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #149 of 389
  Are they so heavy that you wouldn't be able to sit through an entire work day with them on your head?

That will depend entirely on who you ask. In my opinion, yes, they're definitely too heavy and with too much clamping force for all-day use. But I'm sure some will disagree.

I can wear the heavier HE-6 for hours with only mild fatigue, but I can't wear the Mo-Fi for more than about 15 minutes at a time.

Aug 27, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #150 of 389
  Are they so heavy that you wouldn't be able to sit through an entire work day with them on your head?

I can wear the Mo-Fi through an entire work day without issue. I think it's a very comfortable headphone, considering its weight. I think for some, though, it's going to be too heavy, especially to those who aren't used to heavy headphones (and/or for whom the headphone just doesn't fit well, for whatever reason).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back